Private section?

It may remind you of the other place, but it's not what I'm describing.

For starters, there's no swooping from above. On the other forum your posts can be deleted from any sub forum, and it can be edited and locked. What I'm picturing has been done on other forums, and you can readily tell when the thread starter has mod privileges on their thread, so you can be fairly certain that it's the thread starter deleting posts instead of the admin or site moderator.

Because you can tell if the thread starter had mod privileges on their thread, you'd already know that thread was going to be different. Ideally the thread starter would request that irrelevant posts be kept to a minimum, and if you don't like that you'll know it's not worth bothering to post there...again, unlike the other place where your posts can be deleted from anywhere. Members here have tried respectfully requesting that, but there are some childish members inclined towards passive aggressiveness that feel the need to insert their nonsense.

Because the thread starter would only be able to moderate their thread, they wouldn't be able to go to other threads and delete posts they don't agree with, and they wouldn't be able to edit and lock. We already know our admin doesn't do that, and this wouldn't change that, so it'd still be different from the other site.

There could be abuse, for example a seller could start a thread to promote their product and all dissenting opinions could be deleted. On the same hand, those that have their posts deleted could start their own thread to present their opposing opinion. That's something you wouldn't see on that other forum, and what makes this very different.

It doesn't really matter though. Most of the ideas described here would entail major changes, so they probably wouldn't happen. Someone like my idea could be implemented, but only within certain sponsored forums. So my vote goes for the smoking lounge with an extension for courtesans...which called be called by a different name, but we're keeping it classy.

I would be happy if the private section was for things like sellers offering coupons and discounts on products that were under MAP.

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news sb but you don’t have the necessary credentials. You could try again in another couple of years.

Achtung!! |( …and now another special announcement from our beloved Grrettahhh-burger-sow:

“I’ll be very happy to add some more heavily moderated special membership sections to my nazi submission forum. For the privilege to feel a euphoric superiority over your virtual flashlight foes, a reoccurring billpay can be added to your bank account to auto-pay me $79.00 each month. If you are unable to afford this amount, a large box of reclaimed White Castle cheeseburgers (retrieved from their dumpsters each night) will suffice as payment. There, nested within your own private little superiority club sub-forum, you may talk about anything you like… as long as there are no sarcastic remarks about my personal appearance or how CPF mods decide to enforce our own ill-conceived self-serving moronic policies. We have very large narcissistic ego’s and they can become bruised quite easily. :_( If you dont like it, I’ll perma-ban your ass so fast it’ll make your head spin!”

“In other news: I lost 100 pounds on White Castle! Down from 200 grease burgers to just 50 each day. Ive also been dominating the woman vs pig mud wresting events and might have my own TV reality show real soon.” :bigsmile:

“SB, STOP STEALING ALL OF MY MEMBERS. YOU NEED TO BE MEAN TO THEM AND KEEP THEM ALL IN LINE!!! I’LL GET YOU FOR THIS! NO STALE BURGERS FOR YOU!”

Nope, I dont find this idea will do good to BLF, it will change this place forever and turn into some sort of segregated forum.
Free flow of information and thoughts is whats great about this place!

EDIT: LOL at the post above :D!

Agreed, it will sort of split the forum in a Segragated way, ( deviding the elite and boosting some egoes in a bad way, while singling out the newer members trying to become a part of a community as a whole.

Experience at other forums shows it won’t

To be honest once the novelty wears off it will be seldom used

The people drawing comparisons to CPF are kind of missing the mark I think.

The problems over at CPF didn’t happen because they had private sections, they happened because the moderators acted like jerks. I don’t think BLF would face the same issues because our one mod, sb, knows how to handle stuff without acting like a jerk.

I’m not saying that other types of problems would not occur, I suspect that there would be an issue with some people feeling a little out of loop occasionally. But I don’t think having a private section, just by itself, would push BLF into CPF territory.

Then whats the point of creating one in the first place :D?

For the times when its useful, someone pointed out seasoned members contests, avoiding MAP deals, personal non public stuff

Big issue with that is how, & what would determine who is a “seasoned” member and who is not ? Posts ? time ? experience ? how big a persons collection is ? how much they spend on lights in a year ? age ? activeness on the forums ? usefullness ? popularity ? the list can go on. either way it will make many members feel segragated & shunned if they are not lucky to be voted as “seasoned”.

Here are some links to explore about cliques:

Miami Shuffles Officers To End 'Unhealthy Cliques'
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1987-06-30/news/0180090145_1_cliques-unhealthy-scandal

How To Deal With Cliques At Work
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/07/25/how-to-deal-with-cliques-at-work/

How to Handle Cliques and Groups at Work for Dummies
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-handle-cliques-and-groups-at-work.html

Why Do Cliques Form? What Can We Do About Them?
http://advice.doctorbeheshti.com/cliques/

Simply say an active member, or it can be anyone with over 100 posts, or even enough posts and a PM to SB, but it would not get indexed for all to see.

I’m not a big proponent of it, i’m saying i wouldn’t mind it and it can have its uses and i’ve only mentioned my experiences from being on forums that had it, they did not delve into excessive moderation places or haves and have nots, even if the arguments saying it will happen are easy to formulate those things just did not happen.

It doesn't help protect MAP deals much if seasoned members are automatically approved. Even if we pick and choose, it wouldn't be too hard for another vendor or manufacturer to infiltrate the ranks of seasoned members.

An Elite Members forum, yes, for sure. This allows promotions and private discussions on sensitive topics, like future deal suggestions, member/vendor vetting issues…let imagine run wild. Definitely yes.

We also need a reputation system and a vendor reputation system amongst ourselves. That can only further help us.

sounds like something that would happen at cpf

OP...

kinder likes one of dem frayternatees dats thay have in da big cities at dem fancy colleeges

I have some things to say about all of this, but I can only post them in an Elite Member Forum, Sorry...

Have something to talk about that you don't want others to see or post on? Try the Private Message system and get together the group of members you want to talk to. That is the best way rather than an elite forum. Truthfully, if there was an elite member only forum around here, I would not want any part of it and if one developed, I would probably go elsewhere, just because of the mindset I feel it would bring.

Just my opinion.