Prototype RED emitter from luminus and beam angle comparisons

I just received a prototype from Luminus Technologies, the SBT-90-R LED emitter. This red powerhouse has a die size of 3mmX3mm, and is covered by a very thin layer of flat glass, no dome. Comparatively, the Cree XPE/XPE2 red emitters have a die size of 1mmx1mm. The SBT-90 is essentially a dome-less sst-90. The data sheet spec’s this monster at 9 Amps continuous duty and 13.5 Amps max. The SBT-90 has a luminous flux of 860 LM@13.5 AMPS. I don’t know if Luminus will release this as a standard product.

The first light I built with this emitter is a T13, with a resistor mod to 3.8A on Panasonic ncr18650B 3400 batteries, and a 66mm CRELANT head with 66mm DX aspheric lens. The output is 34 Kcd, which is good for a hunting light with a RED LED (my T20’s 24Kcd) but no where near it’s full potential. More on that later.

Another T13 build here small sun ZY-t13:driver swap, RED XP-E P3, reflector and aspheric test results.BEAMSHOTS ADDED. The light in this build has been upgraded to run at 1.68A and the SinkPad was screwed down with a thin layer of AS5 yeilding 88.8Kcd behind the 66mm aspheric.

My goal with the SBT-90 was to increase the beam angle with the 66mm lens. The beam angle with the XPE2 is so small that the the projected image does not fill the entire field of view in most scopes, creating a “black” ring around the projected die image. Thus making it very difficult to use as a hunting light. If you lose the target in the “black” ring, it is very difficult to reacquire the target. The beam angle increased from 1.63 deg with XPE/XPE2 to 3.63 deg with the SBT-90.

Of course with anything there are trade offs. The SBT-90 needs at least 9 amps to reach 100% of it’s output. As the power goes up, the run time goes down. There are very few 18650 batteries that can deliver 9+ Amps. And even fewer drivers exist that put out 9A. Direct driving the RED emitters is not an option given the Vf is a very low 2.7 volts. At 9A+ the amount of heat generated is enormous, so good thermal performance is critical and difficult and expensive to achieve. If and when this emitter is released it will be expensive $$$.

I am happy with the preliminary results. I don’t know if the trade off’s are really worth it but it is a fun project. Now we will need convince Luminus or Osram to create an IR emitter with a larger die size!

At 3.8A and a dual battery set-up, this is very much a practical hunting light. Two Panny 3400’s should provide approx 2 hr run time. Generally speaking , I do not like to build big Amp “dragsters” with lots of heat and very short run times. However, I will attempt to push the limits of this emitter. More parts have been ordered. stay tuned.

The above photo shows the difference in projected image size. The xpe2 T13 on the left, the SBT-90 on the right. The distance is 20.5 ft. Image size in the photo is 7” for the xpe and 13.5” for sbt-90. The lights were set on low brightness and the camera exposure was turned all the way down and no flash used for these photo’s. They are simply too bright to use normal camera settings and overexpose when set to max brightness levels.

Just a tip—you can use an MT-G/MT-G2 star as a MPCB for the SST-90/SBT-90. The dimensions of the pads are almost identical. If there’s any light that deserves a direct thermal path star soldered to the heatsink, it’s this one. I think you would feel the light get hotter, yes, but the thermal transfer to the body would be significantly better.

Approximately speaking, how much are these emitters running you?

I’m very interested in the host you’ve chosen for these huge lenses. I have a red and green (the blue arrived broken) PT-120 and I’m not sure what host I want to use it in. I can’t really trim down the emitters that much so they’re going to have to be some pretty big bodies.

Is this any different from a CBT90 in terms of the emitter? Clearly the mounting and wiring is different, but other than that? Hopefully closer to the price of a red SST90 than the price of a red CBT90.

They never released the CBT-90 red. When I asked LUMINUS about the CBT-90 red they wanted to know what quantity I wanted. They were not going to produce it unless there is enough quantity. The SBT-90-R has not been released either, so I have no idea how much they will cost. The die size is 3mmx3mm same as SST-90. I have a preliminary data sheet on the SBT-90. We will have to wait and see if they actually release the SBT-90-R

This emitter was provided by luminus free of charge for testing in flashlight applications. I will use it in many different hosts and lens/reflector configurations.

Mouser and Digikey both stock red CBT90 LEDs. Digikey stocks 2 models, Mouser stocks 1. Mouser shows that they have 30 on order in addition to what they have in stock. What am I missing about availability?

This isn’t the CBT—there is something intrinsically different about those. For starters, the MPCB is “hot” as far as I am aware. Most other LEDs have thermal paths that are electrically neutral. Not so with this light. The SBT and CBT lines seem to operate such that the entire MPCB can be used as a positive lead. For most flashlights, this is a huge problem.

I definitely didn’t explain that well—page 18sixfifty and he can explain—I ordered a T20 from him with a PT-54 and he compensated for this problem by using a high performance thermal compound (also insanely expensive) that is electrically insulating.

I stand corrected on the cbt-90 red, my apologies i wasnt aware that mouser had them.

The sbt-90-R in my OP is not case positive like the pt-54.

That does sound like a big deal, if the CBT90 is case positive and the SBT90 is not. I remember that was always a pain with the SSC products (P4 and P7).

This driver is inbound

http://daoriginal.da.funpic.de//data/Buck%20Converter/powerbuck/PowerBuck_DS.pdf