Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard interest List

It’s for a dirt bike, offroad only and the beam’s perfect. After some thinking, I’d of course need to keep the driver.

Well I can report that it makes an awesome driving light for a bike (motorcycle) although it does have drawbacks. Firstly it gets HOT, too hot to touch for any more than half a second if you’re not moving. I tested it for temp by blowing on it when it got hot and even warm breath for a couple of seconds will drop the (body) temp by 10C+ @ 85C so it should be ok, although the over-temp control did cut in while I was stationary at one stage. That can also be overcome by not running it on full/turbo but that defeats the purpose to a degree.

Secondly, it’s rigged to only turn on when high beam is on, as per our laws here, so when you dip your lights for oncoming traffic and then put high beam back on the Q8 will stay off and you have to manually turn it back on. If you’re riding dirt like I do it’s not a problem though because you won’t need to dip. Maybe it can be programmed to come on whenever power is applied? If not then a different driver can possibly be found that’ll do what you need.

I’ll probably wire in a remote momentary on/off switch instead of using the existing one. As for output, the light is as good as my car high beam, with just the right amount of spread.

I got today some boards that are planned for Q8

2S/4S Buck driver up to 8A output 6-12V
18.5€
can be easily modded to 2S/2P with one cut and 2 bridges

Tail Boards 2/4S
those are dirt cheap, no ENIG
1$ for two just raw as they are on the board, cut out, sanded with a set of jumpers 3$ for 2
1.2$ shippingh up to 20g weight
2$ up to 50g

I got seriously side tracked and totally forgot about this!

Are you still on it or did interest fade away?

Do you mean the driver boards Lexel has shown in the post just above yours or the dual footprint Q8 boards? If it’s the latter, LED4Power has stepped up to make those and has them on his site for sale. If it’s the Lexel boards, I guess keep waiting for Lexel to answer.

The “other” thread about dual footprint Q8 boards.

LED4Power’s sale thread, where he mentions that the dual boards are on his site.

Thanks David. PRC8 it. :wink:

Led4power has cracked on.

Others have not. Despite a lot of talk.

I hope that the entrepreneur gets his reward, I will be buying one or two when available.

Yes, I hope lots of people do the same. led4power has been a member here for a long time and builds some very nice drivers, as well as other things now like this PCB for the Q8. He has gotten some negative comments in the past from some of the members because he chooses to sell his drivers instead of sharing the designs for free. I’m tired of people who demand everything be given to them. So I hope he succeeds in spite of them. :crown: :+1:

Sorry i didn’t follow this topic, is the 5050 MCPCB for Q8 ready to sale, if yes then where i can buy that
thank you

Yes, it is for sale! :slight_smile:
https://led4power.com/product/l4p-blf-q8-40405050-38mm-dtp-direct-thermal-path-copper-mcpcb/

thank a lot sir :smiley:

@Tom Tom
Like you can read in the first post:“This is a first check if enough people are interested in a Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard.”

And shortly after this had started i had personal issues that kept me busy and out of BLF for quite some time. When i came back LED4Power was already selling the boards in his shop for a very good price (https://led4power.com/product/l4p-blf-q8-40405050-38mm-dtp-direct-thermal-path-copper-mcpcb/).

Original the min order was 50pcs @8$/pcs =400$. So with the intend to make not a single cent profit, someone had to pay 400$ in advance (to get a 8$/pcs price). And i think you can imagine how many Boards you have to order to get a price of ~4$ (and how much money someone had to pay in advance).
Maybe you are able to spend 1000 bucks with the risc of not getting your money back. I am not! And also doing it with the intend of not making any profit (only the wish to give people the option to mod the Q8).
In the end i am happy with the result! Someone (LED4Power) took the risc. And now we are able to buy the board for a very good price. And i really hope he makes enough money on this! Because only then he might be willing to risc his money again if some similar project occurs.

Does this work with the stock driver ? : https://led4power.com/product/luxeon-mz-5000k-90cri-led-lmz9-qw57-38mm-blf-q8-copper-dtp-direct-thermal-path-mcpcb/

Yes, it does. What you do need to do is reaming the plastic centerpieces to a larger inner diameter because this led is bigger than the stock led. It is a finicky job because the center pieces of the Q8 are thin. And you have to do it 4 times :confounded: (I did it for using the Luxeon V leds in my Q8, same size as the MZ)

And you will probably need to use a DC Fix to avoid a donut holes, because orange peel isn´t available.

Or, you could use the Old-Lumens method of stippling a reflector.

Thanks for the answer and tips !

MZ have extremely low Vf, this means they will try to draw A LOT of current with DD drivers, be careful folks!

I will start with un-bypassed springs in my Q8 build and go from there. The MZ has its max at 17 amps though so it does not die easily. But I aim at 10 amps per led, so 40A total, for 8800 led-lumen and 7200lm OTF (for 1.5 minute runtime before stepdown).