Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard interest List

Round XPL center pieces with a small square file should work for 4040 LED

Screw the original MCPCB holes completely and add a very big washer with lead holes o other metall plate with a longer screw to pull the reflector against the shelf

I have PM-ed with Sundy about ordering the boards:

*we had some problems downloading the gerber via TA’s link but I got it done, the gerbers are at Kerui now and there are now looking at them (I hope that they make sense to them :slight_smile: )
*by looking at the jpg there is already a quote: minimum required order is 500 dollar (that is including everything as far as I can understand), and with 2oz tracing and gold finish of the pads it will be (a bit over because the gold finisg was not quoted for yet) 2.2 dollar per board. So the minimum order will be 230 boards. I have no idea if we are going to sell that many.

Now how do we do this? I have a proposal, but please shoot at it if there’s better ideas about it:

• I take the financial risk ordering it (and thus also the risk that something may be wrong with the dimensions, I hope that TA has done his homework well :slight_smile: ), but that comes with some precautions:
  • I am not going to send 150 packages over the world but am prepared to cover the EU :person_facepalming: . So I need people who will cover US, Russia, Asia, rest of the world, preferably in countries where international shipping is cheap (The Netherlands is one of them fortunately)
  • For the EU I will charge 5 dollar per board plus shipping (=$3.50 up to 2 boards) , to cover for that I may be stuck with a large number of boards leftover. I do not do track/trace and no insurance because it is expensive and the costs of the packages are not that high.
  • People who will be the intemediate for rest of the world may collect an interest list first (I suggest a worldwide interest list on BLF with for every person a declaration in which part of the world they want it to be sent) so that they can ask the correct number of boards from me, and I will charge $3.50 per board plus shipping ($18 up to 2kg, 1 board is 20 gram), so that they have some headroom for shipping further. They may charge whatever is handy for them to cover the costs and perhaps some overhead for the trouble (but they carry little risk because they will not be leftover with boards) so the costs may end up more than $5 per board.

Another option is that we ask one of the chinese sellers (Neal? Banggood?) to do the selling for us. I have no idea if they will do such a thing and have no idea what piece of the cake they are going to take.

Any other options out there?

Im in.

:+1:

I will ask Neal too, it would take a truckload of logistics out of my hands if he could do the individual paying and shipping thing.

A technical consideration: the thermal pads will be a bit deeper than the electrical pads with this manufacturer. I’m not too worried about that, my tests have already shown that there’s very little (if any) impact on thermal performance of that. But if we choose 2oz tracing that will just add 34 micrometer (=1oz) to the level difference between electrical and thermal pad. 2oz tracing may not be needed at all with this design and may be a luxury, and a shallower thermal pad may be preferable, in which case 1oz tracing may be better? Thoughts?

Is anyone willing to start an interest list for these boards (new thread, with a clear explanation plus picture what the list is for) and maintain it (the maintaining thing is not my talent, I admire The Miller and Mr Scott for what they did over the last year). So we can have a rough idea at how many boards we are looking at.

Btw, solder mask colour can be white, black, green and blue. I’m a huge fan of black, but I’m tempted to go for blue because it is different from everything else.

Or is there a sound reason to go for boring white?

I prefer white. It changes color when you overheat it, with white mask this effect is most visible.

I was already afraid there would be reasons to go boring :weary:

PM sent to Neal.

I am actually surprised that the price is so cheap, I would have expected more.

My first thought is to propose it to Banggood or Neal. Banggood makes sense as they already sell the Q8 and this could be bundled with it and would get the maximum exposure. I am pretty sure banggood would be able to sell 230 PCB’s without much of a hassle. They would have already sold out if they were available when the GB was done.

They might also be able to get them made at their own manufacture and save some money.

They could also test fit them and make sure they work correctly as well.

Banggood is the best fit IMHO.

Neal would work as well, although it would only really get exposure here on BLF so it would be a lot harder to move them.

The same goes for direct sales with BLF.

If both Banggood and Neal didn’t work out, then direct sales would be the only option left. For this an interest list would need to be started to see if it is even viable.

Now for the fitment question, I used all the best numbers people gave me to setup the spacing. There is an option to test it though, someone could place an order for the pcb with oshpark and while it would not work for actual use, it would work for fitment testing.

About the manufacturer, I have seen a few Kerui boards, including their DTP stars, and having had a very good look at them, they look very well made and I know that their dielectric layer has a relatively low thermal resistance FWIW with DTP-boards. On the other hand I’m not very much impressed with the stock Q8 board (but I have not tested the actual high power performance of the Kerui boards).

No, no and one more time no.
We shouldnt let this boards be in open markets.
This is not product. Not simple diy product. This is very specific thing for very high-experienced members. Most of potential buyers already own Q8, have read lots of information here and can take risks on theirselfs.
Most 2s2p mods are too dangerous to let common bg buyers get this board with ease.

The primary use of these boards will most likely be for the 4040 3V LED’s, so a fairly simple mod like a lot of the other things they sell :wink:

People that don’t understand what it is won’t buy it. So I am not worried about that, plus you can’t stop people from doing something stupid. Just because someone might do something stupid doesn’t mean that you should not sell a product.

I mean owning a lithium battery is dangerous if not treated properly, should they not be sold on banggood?

Selling it direct would be a large risk and a ton of work, even Neal would have to take a risk and it would be a lot of work. Banggood would be much simpler and easier for everyone.

Well those Q8 mcpcb’s were made by thorfire, not banggood. I can’t say I had complaints about my banggood lights mcpcb’s but then I never really examined them real close.

That said we could just insist that they use our supplier.

It could be an opportunity for Neal’s small business, although small chance that he will get rich of this product (he will never get rich anyway when sticking to flashlights :party: )

Neal would be fine as well, just less likely to move all of those pcb’s since it would have a lot less exposure.

Yes, I was looking and topic name and forgot about 4040 option. In this case it would be better to choose place which is able to provide this lumileds leds.

Is there a supplier that sells both the Q8 and the LED’s?

I think no.