Q8 modding

PM sent

Not sure if anyone reported this or noticed it, but a spare SRK tail PCB here for $2: http://www.lightmalls.com/diy-battery-base-for-king-flashlight-1pc

Will check dims, if it matches, I'm gonna order a couple to have spares - cheaper than OSHPark boards.

The Miller, a suggestion for your links on the first page:

DEL’s schematic diagram:

Direct link to image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/content_link/2LCXYBvNuZtqerJMB5v43VLjx4Q2wzRIryGpFIXbJqAh6ahpQsdU6TC9CBf9B21J/file

Also a photo of front and back of driver, parts list , OshPark page to order a PCB and a pointer to Tom E’s Narsil development threads would be handy.

Actually if Thorfire would sell them as spare parts, complete with brass ring etc. I’d snap up several to upgrade some SRKs.

Cheers.

Those are 0805 resistors, the board is designed for 0603 and they should fit
I fixed the 1mm missing diameter here

2 LED

4 LED

This board if you look at it has only at the back 2 traces connected from holes to the springs, while the Q8 has 8 traces to the 4 holes 2 on each side

the hole distance is identical

Why fanny about with PCBs ? Copper sheet, e.g a piece 2mm thick by 300x100mm, more than enough for 12 tail “boards” costs just £10 delivered.

e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEAP-0-5mm-upto-6mm-Copper-Sheet-Plate-Guillotine-Cut-Metal-Copper-Sheet/291734258588?

And is so easy to work with.

Anyone else find the spring solder to be especially hard to work with? I had to flow in a bunch of solder to get it to break loose. The stock solder was in weird lumps. Maybe it needed more heat, but didn’t want to over do it.

I'll have to take a closer look, but think I see what you are talking bout with those tail boards.

Just got a 2 LED and 4 LED board from Scott today - no time to try them, been busy with NarsilM tonight, but wow, they do look small, but looks like 0603's to me.

I'l be ordering a bunch of those bigger ones though -- thanks Lexel!

It's horrible stuff, but I've replaced 3 sets of springs so far and yes - load up the iron tip with solder, the work it around the spring bottom - and with a full load on the tip, get between the rings and get it to the center of the pad, gentle pressure to pull it off. Haven't had a problem yet, but it takes time - I take the bad solder all off with solder wick.

The plate of Noctigon Meteor M43 is 1mm thick

Nice boards!
What do you think of modifying the 4 LED board for 2 separate positive LED wire pads (each for 2 opposite LEDs)? I guess it’s only a small modification if you pull the “left” half of the LED pad with the connected traces for the “top” and “bottom” LEDs towards the “left” edge of the board. It would be possible then to control 2 different colors independently. With alternative or modified firmware, of course.
With a small separation line between the LED wire pads they can be solder brigded easily for standard operation.

(“Left”, “top”, “bottom” relating to the OSH park images.)

And you corrected the labeling :slight_smile:
Thanks Lexel!

I don't see how fixing battery disconnect by not fixing battery disconnect is fixing the "root cause" . The cap is a nice solution though, but the light will still blink off, it just won't change modes. I assume that's visible. Very minor in comparison, but still there. I fixed mine by soldering blobbing some already long protected cells. I was thinking of stripping the protection, but enh.. maybe I'll leave it.

I guess the correct wording would be “alleviates the key symptom of the problem”

It’s hardly visible. And more reliable than your approach. Works with all cells.
I don’t like the idea of squeezing the cells into the light. The springs might wear out, the metal plate at the positive end of the cell may bend inside.

A combination of cap and stiff springs might be the best solution though.

Or just leave the screws out, or go with the dab of glue option.

Wasn't exactly an approach. Just kind of happened that way. It's solid though. Not visible sounds good. I like the cap too.

Tom, I would be glad to run around the corner and drop off my Q8 to you for whatever Frankenstein testing you’d like to do, so long as in the end I get it back upgraded in some way. I will pay for whatever parts/time are required.

Sure! I could upgrade it to V1.2 and give it some bumping up - a boost, some treatments, whatever you like. I'll pm you.

Interesting:
I can hear sounds from the tailcap, when I switch in strobe modes.
At least it seems to come from the tail.

I had to press my ear on the bottom.
I have a fully stock lamp. And a 1mm thick wire between tube and driver board (as scratch guard). So my springs are less compressed

Without the wire in the head it is much less noisier.

What is this?
Springs moving via current and ringing?

Has anyone a better explanation?

Edit: That sound is also on my second lamp.