Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

I can’t measure that, since I’m testing on a SRK with a relatively early Q8 prototype driver. It has no button LED.

However, DEL measured it at 0.14 mA, or about 9 years.

Nope cos The PREORDER button is now live I would assume the code WILL be sent while you’re asleep…. :smiley:

I’m hoping I’ll be awake when the PM goes out. I want to play with the indicator LED. :slight_smile:

(I know, I know… 6000 lumens of beautiful neutral white glory to gaze at, and I just want to play with the button.)

(I am never silly.)

The Q8 uses 2 leds in the switch which is about 0.30 milliamps plus the driver drain at about 0.04 milliamps. So about 0.35 total. A 0.50 milliamp drain with 4 3,000mah cells would last 2.7 years. With a lower 0.35 milliamp drain your talking well over 3 years with the indicator light on.

Obviously it’s good to keep the indicator light on so you always know when there is power. It makes it easier to tell when a battery tube turn has locked out the light. Also, you shouldn’t keep batteries in it for years. Take them out for long term storage.

But generally speaking, you shouldn’t need to worry about parasitic drain.

9 lights wanting CW so far.

Here I am keeping an eye on the forum updates, looking forward to any news on the Q8 front, and it ends up costing me more!

I mean, how can you say no to an F1 for $12?

As we say in South Africa - EISH!

Same here! I’ve been browsing Banggood and purchased a Lii-500 for $21.00. Now I’m hunting for pouches and other accessories for the Q8. :smiley:

Well while waiting on the PMs it seemed a good idea to test if the link and code work.
So I pre ordered 1 of my 2 with the correct code.
Got a red “no can’t do” warning for the code, had missed there was another item in cart selected. After de-selecting it the code worked and I could place the pre order.

@the miller :+1:

Quick send the codes now while the US is sleeping :smiley:

Who said I’m asleep? :open_mouth:
I’ve been here all night :smiling_imp:
I’m running out of juice to refresh.

I am numbered 10xx and 10xx+1, should I go back to sleep?

I'll repeat post #7350 from May 15th here:

I just confirmed the parasitic drain on the round #3 Q8:

• with switch LED on: 135 µA
  • with switch LED off: 22 µA

It really was a sanity check to confirm it still is the same as the earlier round 2 prototypes, and it does match exactly.

In switch Lock-Out mode, the switch LED is off. There's also a quick trick method to turn off the switch LED when the light is OFF:

• from OFF, press&hold til moon mode comes on (or hold longer)
  • then quickly release the switch, and quickly click to turn the light OFF
  • the switch LED should be off now even with the main LED off

To put it in perspective:

• 22 µA takes 5 years to drain 1,000 mAh, so with 4 3,000 mAh cells, it could last over 60 years, in theory of course
  • 135 µA with the switch LED on takes 10 months to drain 1,000 mAh, with 4 3,000 mAh cells, it could last over 10 years

Found an accessory that some might find useful: a compact pistol grip/tripod combo. Tempted to pick one up and give it a shot.

There’s also a china version
https://m.de.aliexpress.com/s/item/32809723369.html

The switch will end up at the top of the pistol shaped flashlight one becomes
Tripod for setting it in a position does makes sense, a way to carry it as a gun, weight unbalanced and needing a second hand to operate makes less sense then just holding it (the pistol grip also makes it no longer tail stand.

That’s even less drain than I remembered. They must be using a bigger resistor than I thought.
135 µA (micro amps) is 0.135 millamps in case anyone was wondering. Over 10 years with indicator light on. :+1:

For anyone who wants a CW version, I think the best way to let Banggood know is to go to the Q8 page and create a new question asking if they will offer it in cool white and that you would like that option.

If several of these questions keep showing up, maybe they will look into offering it.

Thanks

That was one of the changes along the way: Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light - #7365 by Tom_E

Which is one of many reasons why this light will be well worth the long wait.

A Q8 with a choice of leds is nice of course, but atm that is the least of my worries, first and all I’d like to see 2000 fully functional flashlights that perform at least like the prototypes. Once that is settled I will be curious if / how Thorfire and Bangood will continue with the Q8 design. But being in the design team my perspective is a bit different of course.

Maybe just make a topic here and see how many instead of asking all to post it there?
So you can post 1 post with a number interested instead of all posting they want CW?

Gonna be messy and well if I had just placed a new item in my store that was made by a large group I would not be all that pleased if all of a sudden a whole bunch of posts asking for something else popped up. Just after adding it, when the shipping has not even started, knowing it can hurt sales of the new product.
I could even be a bit offended if I took a lot of financial risk to accomodate a group of enthusiasts and coming from that same group the signal was given it is not good enough and another version is asked for while nobody has the actual product in their hands yet.
I would be very surprised, knowing a lot of emphasis was put on the ability to mod the product with just such things a whole lot of people are now asking to be done by the factory.
I would not be happy knowing there are so much more LEDs out there then unspecified “CW” and start fearing somebody on a forum starts asking people to ask for their favorite LED as well, taking away even more attention from the product I had just invested a huge amount in.
Maybe I would expect the people of the group who helped create my new product to understand that if the huge investment I made evened out or even paid off this would create opportunities to build new versions on.

Lucky me, I don’t have a shop and I have not invested a lot of money in the Q8 :wink: