Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

My Q8s are trapped in the local USPS office. I’ll be on a 4 day trip starting tomorrow. So close… yet so far.

Today I made 8 solder boobs on 30Qs in preparation. I can’t wait!!

Q8 top M43 nichia bottom.

Wild fires in CA are being reported.

Do you remember?

News Update

What happened?

Don’t worry. Someone will catch something on fire with it soon enough. Haha.

Is there a prominent, easily findable pointer to the instructions/User Interface chart?

“Search within thread” doesn’t seem to find it; it’d be a kindness to new folks arriving to keep it easy to find

“Search within thread” for just “UI” is a bit broad and finds a lot of bits and pieces about what to click when to get what result.

Searching for “user interface” seems the best bet. Teacher posted the pointer to the comprehensive collection of UI charts.

It’s got to be in there someplace, doesn’t it?

Previously described problem with the indicator is exactly what happened with my light. The indicator worked for a brief while, started flickering, now it never comes on.

It is in the second post of the thread, right after the mile long list of people who are on the list to buy. Not the best place, but not too hard to get to.

Also, tore apart my Q8 with intermittent switch light on the workbench. The driver has power at the pads leading out to the switch board, but no LED light on the switch. It’s starting to look like a faulty switch board, but I’ll have to do some more digging to see.

On an unrelated note, I finally got my oscilloscope running again. Here is a trace of the pwm on the main LED:

I suggest everyone download the user manual on their phone and home computer so you don’t have to hunt for it.

Can you confirm that:
G is ground
L is light
S is switch

So power is going to the switch lights, but the lights aren’t working?

Hmmm, maybe low quality led or resistor value too high?

What is the voltage going to the switch lights, the same as battery voltage?

If it’s too low a voltage during that “locked in” period, the leds may simply be not able to light up. A slightly lower resistor value might fix it.

Clicked on the order tracking for my light and it says the order number and email doesn’t match. I’m getting the order number off the email they sent me. If I just open my Bangood account it shows my last order several years ago and nothing else. The money came out of my paypal account with the same email. Anyone else have this issue?

Cheers David

If the screws were “tightly threaded through the PCB, that suggests to me that the PCB holes may still be sized to clear M2.5 screws.

So if M3 screws have been substituted without changing the drilling spec. for the PCBs, they can only be fitted by self-tapping their way into the PCB.

A correctly sized PCB hole should always clear the thread of the screw. 3mm hole for M3 screw.

Considering it’s early days that’s a worrying number of failed switch lights that have occurred!
Might cancel my backordered light if this continues. Really can not be bothered with a fight with BG to get things sorted.
Has this been raised with TF?

I found a pic from Tom E showing the prototype 2 switch.

It looks like a 4700 ohm resistor. Is this what is used on the production versions?

I seem to recall it was too bright and it was supposed to be changed to 10,000 ohm. Is this correct?

The Miller is handling any problems, not BG or TF.

I’m out, might come back to this at a later date if it’s confirmed a cause has been identified and fixed.

OP updated with:

First real Q8 flashlights arriving.

FIRST

IMPORTANT: DO NO EMAIL BANGGOOD CUSTOMER SUPPORT ABOUT SHIPPING< YOU WILL GET A BASIC RESPONSE THAT DOES NOT HELP YOU AT ALL. SUBMIT YOUR QUESTION IN THIS THREAD WRITING Question for Banggood above it (IN BOLD so I can easy spot it even when with a lot of new posts.

Collected questions:

When are we going to see stock again?

What happens with expedited shipping, paid for but not arriving sooner? (WE NEED A PIC OF SHIPPING LABEL WHEN IT ARRIVES TO BE ABLE TO WORK ON THIS! NO PIC OF LABEL PMMED WE CANT DO ANYTHING!) Answer pending, awaiting arrival of these Q8 lights and pictures of shipping label

SECOND

Relax about shipping of your order, it will get there. the dates mentioned on Banggood do not say anything other then the absolute latest, when the pre orders started it was not clear that th first would be send out so fast yet shipping started the same day and while it was expected that now after a week the shipping would commence, some already have their Q8 in hand. read FIRST again and please “order and forget” is much better for ones stress levelsthat constantly checking shipping status. JUST DONT DO IT!

Tracking is buggy at best, there is a long chain between you and your light, delays are possible at each link of that chain.

THIRD

Issues, please post your issues, or things you think that might be an issue. It will be added.

keep it at REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE ISSUES,what you THINK that COULD be an issue is very good to remember for yourself, no need to post about it.

REAL ISSUES FOUND

BEACON LED IN SWITCH

Beacon functionality of switch, erratic flickering instead of constant lighted switch (first use working good)

Beacon functionality of switch, no light from switch (first use working good)

amplificus started flickering after some time in use, confirmed issue video https://youtu.be/GSdDHodWk2U

saypat stopped working after an hour (please video?)

engber switch led issue, first run OK, then flickering started, now no more beacon at all (please video?)

amplificus intermittent switch light, doing testing to actually find the problem behind this, THANKS!

Perceived issues NOT CONFIRMED

SCREWS:

Screws. really not an issue, they do their job, are lower then the brass ring of the driver. One might want to change them, please discuss in Q8 modding topic https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/46241

Please stop talking about the screws in this topic unless there is a real issue in YOUR light with them.

Some tips on the screws, they are tight, use a properly fitting screwdriver and to be sure a rubber band to make the screwdriver fit even better while removing them.

Just wait, we need to know what is causing it before a solution an be found. amplificus is looking into it, Tom is checking his, but they work fine, so harder to find a problem.
We have this problem 3 times and lucky one of the owners has the tools and skill to check it.
So relax for now, maybe check settings, select beacon on.

Congratulations, you found the shortcut to switch off the locator function temporarily.

It is mentioned on the sheet with the tables on the backside.