Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

For a batch 1 q8 when modded with bypasses or better springs and getting just over 7,000 lumens at start, the amps draw I measured was 21.8 amps. I think this is pretty consistent with those proto round 3 #'s.

Thanks Tom!
I was using the battery comparison tool on HKJs website, and wanted to know what I would be missing with lower quality (less amp) batteries.

SolarLumen - I believe I repeated your problem. I tried my set of GA protected in a batch 2 light and it was very hard to tighten up the battery tube, unbelievably so. Lubing the o-ring helped but was still difficult. I dunno - seems like the combo of the long cells and a tighter o-ring is a worse case scenario. Taking out the o-ring made it usable - totally agree.

Not sure if these were 2 similar constructed lights or it's a more common problem. I have not heard back from The Miller on this yet, so not sure what we can do. I really have to check against other batch 2's -- the batch 2 light I used was returned by a BLFer for not working with PanaB cells, so now I'm wondering bout this light.

Well idk what to say actually…
Tom E and SolarLumen you don’t have a slightly smaller oring laying around?

These are pretty thin now. I once bought a whole kit of assorted o-rings - all turned out to be useless because they were all thicker than any flashlight o-ring I have or seen. Let me check it out further, and I'll check my supply of o-rings.

The next version of the cheat sheet is out:

It is still for NarsilM v1.0, but I added a few hints for beginners.
(and probably spelling errors)

I hope you like it,
Joe

Just got up and checked.
My Q8 is first batch for sure, I ordered it before the PMs were sent.
My sons must be second for I waited with ordering that.

The tubes are the same, and interchangeable, working fine with short 30Qs and long Panasonic protected.

Cool Joechina!
Tom same thickness but smaller diameter stretches to thin right?

Thank you Joe China.

A few minutes ago a friend brought me two protected batteries that measure 70.0mm
I put them in both flashlights and they work without problems

The stock o-ring is 42 x 1.5 mm, and I got a ton of 42's - guess what thickness? Yes, 1.5 mm :FACEPALM: . Seems like 1.5 mm is the stock thickness. I tried these fluorescent greens from FancyFlashlights.com and Kaidomain.com here. FancyFlashlights is long gone, as is cnqualitygoods, and edc-light.com -- all stores of RIC's.

KD also has 42 x 2 mm's. Maybe the 36 x 1.5's stretched would work? Not sure I got them - will check.

FastTech has 42 x 1 mm's: https://www.fasttech.com/products/1607/10001027/1581305, interesting!

From what batch? Batch 1 Q8's are fine - better fit with same size o-rings. All 3 of the batch 2 Q8's have a tight fitting o-ring, tighter than the few batch 1's I have here. Also qty 2 vs qty 4 -- I'll have to try that, but 2 cells should be easier.

I was able to disabled the button light on my batch two lamp using firmware. It was way too bright in my bedroom. I’d probably have disabled it even if it wasn’t super bright, I like my bedroom to be as dark as possible.

But, I wasn’t able to figure out how to enable all of the strobe lights. I will try to mess around again in a few days, but when I did it last night, I often couldn’t tell which mode I was setting.

My 4 70.3mm protected Pana’s work fine in both my batch 2 Q8’s. Caveat I only have a metal analog caliper and I had masking tape on both ends of the batteries so it’s likely they are 70mm. It didn’t feel to me that it took any more effort to screw don’t the heads using either the protected Pana’s or my button top unprotected 30q’s.

The o-rings were well lubricated for both lights.

Same number of threads and within the limits of my cheap metal analog calipers they are the same length (measured with the tail caps and heads off).

Both batches
The unit from second batch was bought on Sep 26 and shipping email on Oct 02

Hhmm, maybe not all pieces or I'm goin nuts . Id' say only one other I've heard from that this could be the cause of his issues, but sounds all others, a few so far, reported testing long cells fine.

My calipers aren’t very good (good enough for reloading where exact precision isn’t needed) but I’d swear one of the tubes is ever so slightly shorter than the other one. Being analog (and did I say cheap?) calipers I can’t be entirely sure but I’m almost positive that there’s a difference. At a minimum one has an extra row of diamonds (see Hank’s post) below the top of the tube.

Got my Q8 today, Canada Post left it outside. This is one hefty flashlight.

The default setting for strobes should be “all”. So all 5 should be there.