Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Please add me to the list. THX!

Is it possible to use a switch similar to the colored Convoy S2+ flashlights? That means a switch with connecting rubber parts that can be illuminated later. It must be a momentary switch of cause and no reverse clicky like the S2+.
Such a switch would be better waterproof than the switch on the most SRK lights.

News, end of the month the first prototype should be ready.

We have discussed differed switches with Thorfire and the latest input was a switch similar to the translucent on the S70 is to be used.
Next week we expect the most recent CAD files and as soon as that is in we will post screenshot of the switch area.

As a lot of members would say , Take your time please .

We don’t want a rushed product , we want a good one !

There I join the project, please note in the list. Greetings

I was hoping for a switch something like the new Thorfire TK4A :

Picture from this thread with a great review by tru3s1lv3r.

Yes khas, out of the blue Thorfire send me that light and their new diving light.
I thought it was to check the different switches out.
Diving too extended and mushy (great for glove operation not Q8)
And I see problem with modding in lights for cell status with that small center hole on the TK4A
Also beacon options of Narsil would not work nice with such a small opening, the translucent switch of the S70 is ideal for modding cell status and Narsil beacon functions.

Ok add me to the list!, cant pass this up.

Beacon options? Narsil will work will any simple secondary ON/OFF LED, no PWM control at this time (can be added). The translucent switches or the "peak hole" switches would be fine, as well as a separate drilled hole in the housing with a window, as some other lights do (SWM C20C for example), or made yourself with a light pipe.

Yeah that’s what I mean. The larger translucent S70 switch is excellent for a modded switch PCB with led.
And well I am curious how many will drill the tripod Mount out for a led there, we’ll see :wink:

But we have to wait for the CAD and yay first prototype to be sure what Thorfire is doing now :wink:

I do not have a S70 but if i look at the pictures, it looks like a switch with a big Rubber cap.
Not something i would prefer. I would like to see something like the Thrunite TN 42 switch.
I can not wait to see the new CAD files!

I haven't figured out imgur and/or blf images yet. Hopefully the link will work.

http://imgur.com/gallery/ebS7c

I understand that it was decided that this light will be 4p. however, it was also decided that it should be left easily modable, as much as price or whatever permits. This moddable concept adds the price of a few zero ohm resistors. So that might be something.

If the link doesn't show, what it is a photoshop modification of the led board that can be 4p, 2s, 4s, by changing jumpers. It may not be perfect for some geometrical reasons or such but I think the concept is sound.

What has changed is that Ace is working a on a buck driver (maybe I'm helping slightly, tough call). He's interested in running XPH35's (did I spell that right?) at 12V. To me the best use of a buck is 2S because you don't ever run out of voltage. You get as much power as the batteries can deliver and that means sustainable moderate modes, or turbo modes even after your battery is half empty. Even without a buck I think people would be interested in 4S LED boards.

Ace says it's too late to get this in the real design. It does seem a bit late, but I'm one voice advocating for it. It seems very similar to the tailcap design flexibility as I understand it.

Oh, as shown it's wired for the standard 4p. You get to figure out 2S and 4S. Some hints, positive is always on the left and 4S requires jumping two of the big pads, from top right to bottom left. There is a conecptual symmetry to the board, slightly broken by the different sizes of the two LED pads, and more broken by my poor artwork. The XHP35 pads can only be wired

So ehm this is above my level of understanding, sorry
You mean have the traces done in such a way some bridges make the LEDs series or parallel?
With the downside use of more parts.
Can’t it be designed in such a way the pads for the bridges are there yet default no extra parts are needed? (So modders can cut the right traces and add the bridges)

Yes, fully, parallel, fully series, or in between, ie 2S which means two groups of two leds, each in series, but the groups are then in parallel. In other words, 6V total at the leds.

I don't see why it can't be setup either as you say or just with the needed 4 jumpers(zero ohm resistors) (maybe 6) in place. For your way, we just complete the board traces where the blue lines are to get the present setup. Then the user can cut them. The real fact is it's kind of possible already. You can make a number of different creative cuts and use the extra LED pads as new solder or jump locations, but it's not really setup for it, and maybe not very easy. The cuts would be big, and jumpering the extra LED pads might not be ideal, and depending how many cuts you make and how clever you are you might need to turn leds around.

In my design above I specifically designed it to not require ever turning any LED's around. That makes for more jumpers, but easier modding. And you can see that the two big pad jumps can be accomplished with the contact wires. I guess there are 4 wires anyway? I don't know why, to improve current carrying I suspect. I drew those two jumps mostly just to show intent though.

I think there are easier ways to do it, in fact I have one idea off the top of my head that should work.

I had considered this when I first made the design but figured people would complain that the traces were not as large as possible so I passed on the idea.

Basically it could be made like the tailcap design where each LED can be addressed individually via jumpers. It could have traces installed by default that can be cut for modding, same for the tailcap.

Yes I get it
Well we do not know what Thorfire us thinking about the PCB designs
But while waiting yeah a design that adds mod options without costs is great.
I’ll email Thorfire to see if they can give a reaction to the PCB designs while waiting for the prototype when the CAD files are in so not to delay that.

TA Did you see my pic above? (can you?) That's exactly what I have. I've made some of the "addresses" intended as only small pads for jumpers, but individually addressable they are. They also happen to be laid out with those addresses conventiently placed for short jumpers for the 3 most common uses. Although there are actually 2 versions of 2S, and I only designed specifically for one version, two 2s's in parallel, not two 2p's in series. But the other is possible by "random access" of the "adressess". I don't think my traces are very small. There are a couple of obvious places where corners can be tighter to make them bigger. Using diagonals instead of the zigs and zags would help.. but this was a concept drawing.

It isn’t necessary that these LED and tail boards are part of the production, only that they are available from OSH Park and fit the production light, or are they so big that they are too expensive from OSH Park?

Of the top of my head 3 46mm boards (the minimum) is $16/$17

But a copper DTP ledboard is something else that would costs much more for smaller batches.