Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

You could wire in a remote switch, it would not be something that would be easily removed once installed but you can extend the wires for the e-switch no problem, although waterproofing will need to be addressed for the switch hole.

Basically you would turn the light into a remote use light only.

If I recall correctly, Tom measured about 20 amps on turbo with full cells, or 5 amps per cell. Cells are typically around 3000 to 3500mAh. 3.0 / 5.0 * 60 = 36, so turbo should last for about 36 minutes.

At the other end of the scale, the lowest mode should last about a year, I think, if left on non-stop. PWM level 1 of 255 times 350mA is about 1.4mA on the lowest mode (very rough estimate), which would last about 357 days on four 3000mAh cells. I could be way off on that though; it could be anywhere from 150 days to 500. Would need some actual measurements.

There are 100+ levels between, providing a smooth ramp from the lowest to the highest level. You can set it anywhere you like.

So… runtime varies from half an hour to a year, depending on where it is on the brightness ramp.

You could try the Sunwayman D40A or the Nitecore EA41 or EA45S. IIRC, the last one BLF tried to do was the Starry Light SA-22, which had underwhelming sales despite its low price.

People usually don’t do 4xAA lights because a single 18650 cell is smaller and has more energy inside. Using AA cells makes the light bigger, a bit less bright, and more likely to die from corrosion when alkaline cells rot inside. However, it does at least allow for a thousand-lumen light powered by popular AA cells.

Or you can sometimes fit a 3xAA or 4xAA carrier inside lights designed for a 26650 or 32650 cell. That might be an option if you can’t use li-ion for some reason.

Yep, this is what me and Miller discussed when talking about a new light project. Basically the AA or 14500 idea just doesn’t float when you consider all that goes into it. A 32650 cell is a far better option then a 4xAA. Although having a cell carrier for 4xAA is a great option.

TA: Don't think that is something I wanne go for. It's not a biggy, just something I thought about, plenty ways around that small problem. Like EB sugested for example. TK: I only brought up the 4xAA because there was some talk in this thread about a scaled down version when the Q8 would be finished. I’ll have a deeper look into your suggestions but at first glance they don’t seem really budget and not high cri. I just liked they way people where thinking about the 4x AA version.

Yeah I do want to start a 4 AA / 14500 light for sure but not until the Q8 is in everybody’s hands :wink:

I really, really like my 32650 BLF Lumintop SD10 special, group buy thread here. I have Narsil on it, but older version before ramping. I pulled the protection circuit off of a TrustFire 32650 and the performance is outstanding. Using a yellow LED under the switch cover - it's a regular light on my nightstand and use it often for room lighting.

The heat mgt design is not good, but that didn't stop me from using a FET based driver. I'd love to get one of these again, with an improved design for the heat mgt. It's a rock solid tail stander, long runtimes. Would be great with multi-LED's - triple or quad. Just got in a dozen XPL2's from Arrow - look'n forward to see how they perform in both single lights and multi LED TIR optics or SRK styles.

Thats what I was thinking^, a 32650 would make a great “compact Q8” and a 4x AA cell carrier could be used for those that want the ability to run AA’s in a high powered light.

Limiting the light to AA’s only really limits it’s usefulness IMHO.

Looking at the SD10 special, that’s a very interesting light due to the cell versatility if nothing else.

I’d be interested in at least one if it’s made. Yes, AFTER the Q8 and definitely at your leisure.

O-L even made the cell adaptability even better: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/21905

Along the lines of a FandyFire Rook would be neat, baby brother to the SRK size.

Yes, like that sort of versatility Tom. I like that! I’m amazed at the things you folks come up with.

Sure seeing a lot of discussion about adding more and more modifications to what is supposed to be (I thought) a better, more reliable version of the classic SRK.

Previous posts are about yet another light thought of doing a custom build/group buy on, not the BLF Q8, but a smaller version, mini Q8. We went little off track for a spell .

Yes this is the Q8 topic :wink:

LOL, off track? At BLF? :stuck_out_tongue:

Remember when the quote’s used to run like 10-15 stages deep around here? A thread would get derailed and be so far off track nobody remembered where it started.

This kind of thing happens when we wait for word on a build or new release, everybody gets a little antsy… :wink:

Contact them, even though last time I checked they said “no longer available” vendor states larger amount can be ordered and send t a China address.
We passed this info and link on to Thorfire they probably gonna contact them to see if it is genuine.

They are genuine . I have ordered from them both sir800dp and sir404dp .

Yes. no longer available - dead end.

No no vendor says them can deliver 1000 pieces.
It is up to Thorfire now to contact them.

I got a bunch more of 404's on the way and just got in XPL2 V5 4000K LED's. Might be updating the 4X SRK clone (with the BLF Q8 driver) with those LED's, and the 404 FET. Would be interesting... I measured 7.8A at the tail on a fully modded ThorFire JM07 with the new XPL2 V5 installed, running Narsil of course . It measured over 1,800 lumens @30 secs in a nice 4000K tint. In a 4X SRK, it might do close to 25A - pretty crazy. In our BLF Q8 proto, bet those LED's would do 28A easy, maybe 6,700 lumens.

The XPL2's have a low, efficient Vf, making it much easier to get higher amps, and they seem to be able to handle it well, with peak output at about 10A, shown here. Main complaint is the tint of the beam, with a more yellowish halo around the hot spot. Really want to see how it will look in a multi-LED light.