Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

…and even more out of XP-L HDs (the domed emitter). I don’t mean to beat a dead horse but it keeps getting back up, so I keep whacking away. :slight_smile:

XP-L HIs don’t make sense for this project. It should either be XP-L HDs for acceptable tint and highest output or 219Cs for beautiful tint and slightly less output. XP-L HIs would give us average tint and slightly less output; there’s no upside there.

Why not just skip the 219c’s and go to 90cri XP-G3’s?

There’s a trade-off with everything

I don’t know enough about the XP-G3s to comment. Haven’t been following the thread, so I’ll leave that to someone who knows more than I do, like yourself :slight_smile:

You’re right that there’s trade-offs to everything but my point was that there’s less trade-offs with the HD or 219c than with the HI. Basically the 219c trades a slight bit of output for better tint, while the XP-L HD trades a bit of tint cleanliness for more output. Either of those are good choices depending on whether you value quantity or quality more. The HI has neither the cleanest tint nor the best output (of these three) so I don’t see why its brought up so often in this thread. Well, actually I think it keeps coming up because its so popular, but its popular because throwers are popular and its a great thrower emitter. This isn’t a thrower.

Well, XP-L HI may make some sense to some people. Even though this light is a flooder, the possible gain in throw could be useful in some cases. But if the option of a XP-L HI would make the general price of the GB go up, I’d rather not include the option. Nichia 219Cs make a lot of sense if they are high CRI, because a lot of people would choose that option. I can’t remember, do we have 90+ CRI 219Cs available yet? However, if both Nichias and Crees have to be sourced, it would be a possible headache for the manufacturer, so not likely to happen. In that case, I’d say stick with Cree and let the modders have their Nichias!

No I mostly agree on the XP-L issue. HD makes more sense unless you are very opposed to “cree rings”. Then the HI would seem like a happy medium.

Luckily we should have some tests of the G3 before it’s time to start producing these lights.

For anyone interested, I have pics of a 219C “Monster Flooder” (well, perhaps a bit shy of “monster level”) posted here. 4 x 219C’s at approximately 2.0A each (tested in my DIY sphere at +/- 2,100 lumens). I’ve considered buying another BT40S bike light and swapping in XP-L’s to get more lumens and compare.

-Garry

Please add me to the list if this is, indeed , over 4000 lumens. Thank you for your efforts.

The idea is that the setup of the reflector will make it flood anyway. One could say flood is not an issue whatever is put in there so the extra throw is a benefit of the HI

Yes!

Whack away, in this stage all ideas and input are more then welcome.
We are doing our best to do something with all that is said.
I thought about doing a poll over the LEDs but we need test results of the G3 first. Yay groupbuy of those :smiley:

Right, I get that. Nothing is going to make this light a thrower. But then again that extra throw from the HI isn’t just “free light”, it comes from somewhere — the spill. And since the HI emitters make less lumens anyway its like a double-whammy, even less spill. So while the extra throw of the HI could be a benefit, don’t overlook the fact that it comes at a cost. If the goal of this project is monster flood, I maintain that HI emitters aren’t the best choice.

Again, all this is just my opinion. I’m buying one whatever winds up inside. :slight_smile:

Well we are clear in aiming for LEDs with the 3535 footprint.

IN the XP G3 groupbuy I see:
11. TomE……………………….3pc

And in another G3 topic I see:

So we are expecting first hand experience with them!

It is not that the XP-L HI has tons less output than the XP-L, in comparable tints it is just about 10%. What you get back is less tint variation in the beam, and a brighter and smaller but still big spot. You suggest that the HI has a worse tint than the HD, but it comes in just as nice tints, I do not see where that comes from.
Nevertheless I see very good reason to use the HD version, for best output.

@The Miller: there’s no sign from Cutter that anything is shipped yet, so perhaps Tom (via vob) has them sooner than I.

I know I’ve said I’m done spending for a while but this may take a while so put me on the list.
I vote high CRI Nichia 219C’s.

Yes, I just got in the 219C 320’s (higher bin, lower CRI) from Richard, and I believe the XP-G3’s are on the way from down under now to VOB, then to me from there… Sounds like djozz will get his first, and certainly will admit they will be better off in his hands for the ultimate testing he does, if that’s his plan.

I for one really like the throw you get from a multi-LED light of this sort. The 3 LED and 5 LED SRK style lights I got modded, flood and throw quite well. Even the 7 and 9 LED lights, 3 26650 plunger style, I have modded have very good throw and flood. I’d be disappointed if it was more pure flood, like a Meteor M43, Niwalker MM15, or even small quads I’ve built. I’m not look’n for a cheaper, bulkier alternative to an M43 or MM15. The classic SRK of 3-5 LED’s always had decent amounts of both. There’s been a history here on BLF of modding SRK’s with de-domed emitters, and some excellent beam shots posted showing the differences. In the past there wasn’t an option of XP-L HI’s, so I think this option would be a great benefit, specially in a group buy.
SRK’s are considered a flooder because obviously they can’t be called throwers, but with individual reflector per LED, you do get decent throw from them, so they are a compromise, part of why the SRK form factor is so unique, simple, and still fits in a jacket pocket.

No review but I got my G30 and all I can say is I like the floody MTG2. In the SRK I am not looking for a thrower nor radical tint factors. Floody MTG2 and tint of the G30 suit me well.

Tom that are some valid points so I changed to word flooder to flashlight in the title, we all know what a SRK style light is.

I didn’t mean to suggest that. I suggested that both of the Crees have worse tint than the 219c. The only real difference I see between the Cree HI and the HD is the efficiency. So you can have the best output from the Cree HD or the best tint from the Nichia 219c. What does the HI offer you the best of? I’m…not sure.

Add me to the list!

Just got my first li-ion flashlight, and is new to this forum.
But this looks like a must have haha

Okay, so the last few comments (culminating with a wording change in the project’s title) have led me to believe that I may have had the wrong impression of what this light is supposed to be. See, I’ve never had an SRK because by the time I came around the hobby they were all crap. But I thought they were very floody lights, basically a budget Meteor, and I let that mindset inform my thoughts and comments about it. That seems to be the wrong idea. So I’ll step down off my “no-HI” soapbox now :slight_smile: Carry on guys!

emarkd you are not alone. many blf-ers think the same. And as I’ve already said doomed domed XP-L is more applicable for SRK flooder. I have none of 4*LED SRK like flashlights to compare with but I’d definitely prefer more flood light from my 3*XM-L2 SRK clone and roche M170 (again 3*XM-L2).

I’m interested, please put me on the list.