Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

I know it would be a cool feature (and I’m all for including it) BUT:

How close are we to production, and how easy is the path to get a new hex file to ThorFire? History has shown that version control is not a strong suit for other manufacturers. Let us remember the functional revisions that TK made on the BLF A5/A6 that did not make it into the shipped lights. I think there was a similar problem with the A6 (but I don’t remember what I had for dinner last night, so we know my memory is suspect). Plenty of people can reflash drivers, but let’s proceed carefully with ‘last minute’ changes that need to be shepherded into a production line.

I would say lightning mode are as valid as any other flashing mode, just a matter of attracting attention to yourself.
And for that reason i would prefer lightning over any other flash sequence.

So a strong and extremely local lightning storm should draw attention from rescue people as good as a beacon flash or SOS.

The human brain are wired to see patterns and also screwed up patterns, so when rescuers see what appear to be some one have opened up a major outdoor discotheque in the wilderness, they will know to go check it out,

:smiley: …. :+1:

Well, I would not call this a legit priority #1 change, and will not warrant a major upgrade. Something like changing the default timed stepdown from 3 minutes to 2 minutes, could be considered relatively important. I'm also looking at a timing issue. There's probably gonna be a couple more tweaks. The Q8 proto has only been in one set of hands up til a week ago. I'm expecting there will be changes as a result of the rest of the team having some time with the next round of protos, hopefully that's the final round.

What makes Narsil/Q8 fairly unique is it blinks out the firmware version #, so at least we will have a means of knowing what version # is installed on each unit. So after the final proto evaluation, and it's decided to go into production, hopefully we will have the chance of updating it. Also many, if not all, team members have the ability to upgrade the firmware, so it can be tested by multiple people prior to committing.

IMO, lightning mode isn’t worth a time delay. Heck, I have never used any flashing mode other than by mistake or just to check out how to access it.

After months of checking the project, I can’t stand it anymore… I’ll need one…

Please sign me for one

Doing some quick math, I figured that ThorFire will have a tidy $50,000 in flashlight sales when this one is finally released. I’m hoping that this project will lead to them producing more and more amazing lights in the future. Many good ideas being bounced around this thread might be good R&D for the flashlight industry. I wonder how many ideas will find their way into new lights in the next year or so.

And that’s just in immediate sales. They’ll go retail with it after the group buy.

Idk Tom, J-Dub74 said the head was too hot to touch but the tube and switch were hot but not too hot.

It doesn’t hurt to ask if a newer Narsil can be used and if it is nor causing delays yeah stepdown after two minutes seems a safe default.
Lightning blinkies though cool and all really don’t seem important, however would giving users the option to set strobe brightness be doable? For crossing the street a 5K lumens flash might be too much so I think this is a feature that makes sense on high powered lights right?

So, any update about timer? Like, sleep timer? like, flash in 15-30-60-90-120 etc. minutes? :slight_smile:

Ok - 6 issues:

• change default of 3 min timed stepdown to 2 mins
  • lightning mode
  • controlling brightness for strobes
  • sleep timer
  • from strobes, navigate back to last used level rather than turning off the main LED
  • verify timing measurements - appears to be a little slow now

change default of 3 min timed step down to 2 mins

easy, piece of cake

Lightning Mode

maybe, if I have time, and if it comes out decent. Any volunteers to develop this?

Controlling Brightness for Strobes

Uhh, can't recall any details on this - might have forgotten. How exactly would this work in the framework of the current UI for strobe modes? For strobe modes, mode navigation works exactly like regular mode sets: click to next mode, click&hold for previous mode. If you stay on a mode for over 1.2 secs, the mode is locked in so the next click exits (turn OFF the LED), but click&hold will still work. How can brightness be set or controlled? How will this work in the UI? Is it preset in configuration settings?

Sleep Timer

Was this thought out? Again, we have no clock in the light, unlike phones, tablets, computers, etc. The UI sounds complicated to work out. We need the app on your cell or computer/tablet with blinking lights to program the flashlight -- ultimate solution, little extra cost, etc... Can even time sync the flashlight!

from strobes, navigate back to last used level rather than turning off the main LED

Think should be fairly easy, not much cost in program space

verify timing measurements - appears to be a little slow now

I really need to do this to get a better understanding. Afraid I added to or introduced this is the latest rev.

Am I taking this too seriously? Are you guys are just pulling my one good leg?

Think we need a 2nd button, requiring an MCU with both more I/O pins and more memory

You guys have all been taking it seriously for a long time now. That is why it is turning out to be fantastic, and we appreciate it.

The sleep timer and lightning mode were mentioned as jokes, not actual plans. This late in the process, it’s very unlikely they will happen. Last-minute changes are high-risk, and not recommended.

The code is available though, and the necessary tools are fairly cheap, so if anyone really cares about these ideas, they can be added post-production.

Welcome to 2017, where even flashlights have DLC.

Might I humbly suggest we get J-Dub74 to clarify exactly what he was saying before the step-down is changed from 3 minutes to 2 minutes.

It seems to me in what he said below after rethinking it, there was no problem holding it in a normal manner at 3 minutes.

Ahahahaha! :smiley: I got you guys! :partying_face:

However, seriously, we are in 2017… do Bluetooth drivers exist? Like in that Mi (or any) wrist band?
So you can program the flashlight from the phone?

True - need to re-visit this. I'm really hoping we get the new proto (round 3) in several hands and get more input, then hopefully have time to setup the final default configuration. Who knows, with the improvement in the LED board (MCPCB) and shelf thickness (I think it will be thicker), might make a difference with this step down setting.

Noooo - we be using the main LED itself. A LED is a diode, a diode can emit light and "read" light. Light is "read" as a low voltage signal. Simple circuit to add reading of light level coming into the LED, therefore timing a proper sequence of screen flashing on a computer or cell phone, one can program a flashlight. No fancy xmitters and receivers, basically the receiver is built in already.

TK did some research on this - sorry, haven't kept up with where it lead to, or is right now. Might need more SMD's, I/O and memory...

One flashlight here: http://lux-rc.com/content/products/flashlights/Minions

There are others, dunno off hand the links. Not sure though if the lux-rc are using the main LED.

Year 2027:
(tap)
Your software is not anymore supported. Update flashlight to turn on.
(tap)
“Are you sure you want to update? Tap once for yes, tap twice for no”
(tap)
“Your flashlight software is being updated… progress… >34%>>… .(dots dots dots)
(tap)
”Your flashlight is updated. Are you sure you want to turn it on?”
(tap)
“Scan your finger to verify your user account”
(tap)
“Scan your iris to turn flashlight on”
(light thrown into basket. Reaching for good old XP-era flashlight)
:slight_smile:

PS wow I shone into an XP-G2 and measured a whole 50 millivolts! Not sure I knew that before.

This has been around a while too: https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1196

Arduino based flashlight

In the words of Dr. Sheldon Cooper “everything’s better with bluetooth”

Something we might want to remember with the next project.