Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Wow, that is just sad :frowning: ……

Does anyone know on which page the comparisons of the various batteries performance can be found?

Tried finding it but its like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Nice design only it would seem to make more sense to eliminate the dome and frost the outer lense. Also, wouldn’t an inverted parabola spread the light more than an inverted cone?

Post #6672 a few pages back had it.

Thanks RBD!

Yeah Teacher, if Haikelight just had written $24,50 on the label it would have been ~$27 less, I so asked them to write $20 and they offered me one for a payment of $20, dang that they did not send that Paypal invoice and just went silent, I would have felt good paying them, this sucks (Value Added Tax, dang no value added here just a basic shipment)

I’d like to secure one more, please. My first one is at #994.

When we get closer to the “big announcement,” do you think there will be a summary of battery options/links and chargers? I’ve been following along and there are a lot of individual posts about batteries, but personally I’d like to see recommendations from those behind the design.

I agree that the dome seems counter intuitive to me.

An inverted parabola could indeed work better, it would be a matter of getting all the specs right which could be interesting vs just resizing a cone.

I am really tempted to try 3D printing a design if I think something could be made that would work well. The basic design is simple, the hard part is tweaking it for the best possible light distribution.

:person_facepalming: … WOW… it does suck :cry:
I feel for you guys that have to deal with all that…… :frowning: … I can see where it would/could kinda of take the joy out of a “good deal” real fast.

Please add 2 more for myst999 for a total of 4. On list now at #198 and #728. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Yes will update OP later

And for cells, RBD links to Toms post with several good cells
For US there is a 30Q action going on, hard to miss on front page
For everybody else M4DM4X will have good deals.

Charger, Liitokala Li500, with adapter ~$20 best bang for the buck IMHO

Yeah Teacher and the stipid thing is that from the €24 I have paid only €5 is actual VAT on the light
So for larger orders those extra €19 aren’t that bad, for small ones yikes. Ordered that €350 flow hive, on that the €19 would have been acceptable (and funny that one came with DHL as well, no value on label and no taxes due saving me €89 nice, sunny day :smiley: )

The frosted dome as shown kinda make more sense to me for a quad emitter like the Q8 with 4 hotspots.
It would also diffuse a lot of peripheral light, letting the reflector above just recycle the light which would be lost to the heavens. Also, wouldn’t using the inverted parabola reflect more light back to the emitter than the inverted cone?

Hello The Miller,
Please add one more for me. I currently have 3, numbers 701, 1205 and 1206.
This will make a total of 4.
Thank you,
Steve

One problem: It spins. If it threads in where the bezel goes, it’s unlikely to tighten to exactly the right position.

Maybe, maybe not. The LED shines pretty much in all directions, making a parabolic reflector necessary to collimate the light. The reverse reflector then receives mostly-collimated light and needs to bend that light ~90 degrees. It may be that a cone is better at that.

For a more extreme example, what happens if you shine a thrower at a mirror? What shape should that mirror be to bend the beam? With a flat mirror, it simply re-aims the hotspot in a new direction, like a laser. Point it at a chrome cylinder though, and it turns a pencil beam into something shaped more like a slice of pie.

A mild parabolic shape might work best for bouncing the spill part of the beam, but I suspect a cone might work best for bouncing the hotspot. There probably isn’t a shape which does both.

Received my 30Q’s from NKON today (no waiting for the boat of China this time)
But the button top seems to be manually spot welded (?) to the cell.
So be aware of that when ordering from them.
I think solder blobs are even better.
Also mention the difference with the Banggood 30Q, which is probably the same, but has a better finish, with an isolator on top and an extra clear wrapping to hold that isolator.

I don’t know the total; I was only counting the numbers on the sign-up lists… not anything sold afterward.

With after-sales (including Astrolux) counted too, I’m guessing the A6 was probably the biggest in terms of both total units and total money. But I don’t have the actual numbers on that.

But that’s apples and oranges and strawberries — a project in progress, snapshots of projects right after completion, and the ongoing sales for each.

Counting only at this point in each group buy, perhaps a month or so before greenlighting, the Q8 seems to be the biggest. I don’t think any prior project had this much interest at this stage. And if Thorfire follows through with the quality, the Q8 will probably be BLF’s crown jewel for a long while.

Banggood button tops’ buttons are spot welded too .

Yokiamy…… can you show a good top view of the three different cells. :slight_smile:

Yeah, that spinning would be a problem, but not counting that, the shape is probably the most optimum for light redirection (when lined up properly). Still, forget the squareness, make it a round profile, but still ramped up at a parabolic curve. That would eliminate the problem of spinning, and still be fairly good at redirecting the light sideways.

Wow, I see what your saying……. the $19 is a fixed charge not based on value. Large $$ items not such a big deal, small $$ items a real BIG deal. A deal killer in many cases I imagine. :person_facepalming:

Then the VAT is a percentage of the invoice price… ???

I still feel for you guys. :frowning:

And VAT has been discussed as in coming to the USA. What a wonderful idea! (written sarcastically)

Please, let’s not get political on this. It hasn’t yet, but it could.