Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Sure, but Thorfire has been using DTP-boards before in their lights (I even found a Thorfire DTP board in an other brand) so they should be able to solve this issue themselves.
I think that early in the Q8 process I have suggested Kerui before.

It would be nice if a dual footprint mcpcb could be implemented in the stock Q8 since a new mcpcb needs to be found anyways.

It would not be difficult at all and would add zero cost to the mcpcb. It would only need 1 extra hole drilled in the shelf of the light for the ground wire to pass through.

You could sell it to them as a future upgraded model with xhp50.2’s that would compete with triple xhp70 lights in price and performance all using the same exact parts from the Q8. The only change needed for the xhp50.2 from their end would be a different battery tube / carrier setup for series cells and an LDO added to the driver.

The end result would be the ability to produce ~10,000 lumens for the same amount of energy and heat as the current light produces ~6000 lumens. It would also be capable of upwards of 15k+ lumens on turbo.

They would easily be able to sell it for $100 considering the lights it would be competing against. The extra costs would only be around $10-15 on their end making for a very nice increase in profit margin (although a GB of say $75 would be cool for sure a light).

It gives them a 2 for 1 use out of the head of the Q8 with only the body needing to change.

If they made a lantern attachment for the Q8 as well they could get 3 uses out of the Q8 with only minor changes needed.

I personally feel there is ample positives to justify this rather minor change seeing as a new mcpcb is needed anyways.

Yet it would be a design change :wink:

Please add me to the list

Great no-nonsense reply :+1:

Thanks!

This is the point where we don’t want to rush them.
They need to find a good supplier and check the parts being offered
to make sure the change won’t make troubles later.

YES…… Thank you djozz!! . :slight_smile:

Is it possible to be added for 3 more- total of 4?
Thanks- Joe

Hi, I am also interested, can you add me to the list? Thanks

List updated

welcome to BLF!

Hello

I’m interested. Please put me on the list for 1 unit.

Thanks Gerd.

Im also interested, please add me to the list!

Yes will do!

Is that concern because a single cell used on high would cause those springs to collapse more easily?
Or do they wear out/fatigue more easily?

If so that’d be another thing to test for, the “what’s the worst thing that could happen” situation with the new spring material.

Phosfor-bronze springs are said to be mechanically inferior to steel springs.

But,

1. they get less warm because they have one-third of the resistance, a collaps event is less likely.
  2. I had a batch of phosfor-bronze springs made by a manufacturer in Amsterdam a few years ago and they seem excellent mechanically.

The question is: will p-b springs sourced in China be as good as my proven Amsterdam springs?…

And that my friend… sums it up quite nicely. :open_mouth:
The key word of course is “will”……. and that is a real big word in this situation!

I would hope they would send some for the team & you to inspect djozz, since you are familiar as to what they should be. :slight_smile:

Please put me up for one more, a total of 2. My number is 1091 in the list.

If i understand it right a dual footprint layout with only XP and XM pads (only 3V leds) would not require a host design change. No extra holes have to be drilled or changes to the body have to be made. If thats thew case we could try to get TF interested in the layout. And the aftermarket Mod board would have pads for XHP leds 6 and 12V. With this solution we get modoptions from easy (only change to a different 3V led like the SST-40 (KD (kaidomain): Deals and new products thread - #612 by EasyB)) to full mod with 2S2P configuration.

Yes, and since we need a new MCPCB anyway, this isn’t that big of a change, really. It’s already been mentioned that it won’t cost any more to make dual footprint boards than single.

Aslong nothing has to be done to the light itself this change would not require a new proto. I think any change that requires a new proto is of the table. It would be really sweet if we could get the XM and XP pads on the ledboard. And i think that this also would help with the mod ledboard. Because now the PCB Gurus did not have to fit XHP, XM, 6V and 12V options on one board.