Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

I bet that sprocket was a whole lot cheaper than what it would cost to have a 9 second car too. :wink:

So how ’bout them flashlights, ’eh? :wink:

If I can just figure a way to mount this somewhere on my Scion xB roof & then somehow plumb it to work with the woefully underpowered little 4 cylinder rice burner engine…. I think I’d be good to go. :+1:
Or… most likely not. :person_facepalming:
Probably take a while for it to spool up…… :wink:
And if it ever did there would be an exploded engine anyway.

Flashlights??? :open_mouth:

Oh yeah… still in wait mode hoping to hear good news at any moment. :+1:

hahaha about the high hp cars, only in America where gas is cheap, roads straight and dragracing is a thing.
A bit sad though, when the family man neighbor can just roll up in his stock Tesla and compete with a lot of hobby rebuild cars :wink:
Would be like we could get a 5K lumens light at the hardware store in a nice tint or grandpas kechainlight out throws the GT
That high hp car thing is of course a hobby like flashlights is for us, and as people look at us strange when we have a wide range of flashlights, the normal population probably has a hard time understanding why one would prefer a loud, gas guzzling, complex car over your normal vehicle.
besides the obvious safety issues when driving on to wheels a motorbike seems so smart, specially in busy EU traffic
Maybe start a topic about cars and high hp? It surely lives and would make the Q8 things easier to follow :slight_smile:

Yes when we hear something back about either springs or ledboard we post it ASAP

I wish i was born in America sometimes, here allmost all my colleagues are driving a 1.0 Ecoboost 125 HP from a three cylinder…
The sad thing is, my next car for work will be a three cylinder as well, so i am loosing 1 cylinder and gaining HP :wink:

Soooo………what about the flashlight? :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Grtz
Nico

You are looking at it the wrong way.

Correct that most people do not know much about cars but the same can be said about flashlights.

Most people think that a 500 lumen flashlight is stupid to EDC and a 3000 lumen pocket rocket is just insane! Yet many of us do just that, every single day.

We do that because we know that we don’t have to use all 3000 lumens all the time and that when used like a normal flashlight at say 100 lumens it works just like a normal light.

Cars are exactly the same way if properly built. The similarities are surprising actually. You do not have to give up almost anything now days to make big power, well except for money and usually some weight.

I am not trying to convince anyone, I am just stating facts.

You can daily drive a 1000hp car just as easily as you can EDC a 3000 lumen pocket rocket.

Cheap insurance - Check

Good MPG - Check (depends on the build but you don’t have to give up much mpg if properly tuned and setup now days with VVT, heck I have made over double the factory HP while getting better then factory MPG before, my ~400whp MR2 turbo was getting high 30’s mpg for example back in the day)

Cheap to operate on a normal basis - Check, properly built a performance car can be just as reliable as a normal car now days.

This is all very much like flashlights, 10 years ago it was insane to think about a 3000 lumens EDC pocket light, now we have them all the time to the point they are not even that interesting anymore. You do not have to give up anything to have that, you simply have it.

Cars are the same way, you can have all that power without the classic downsides you used to with pump gas. On pump gas you might be able to make 500-800whp before you have to start giving something up but on E85 you can easily make 1000hp+ before you have to start even having to give up fuel mileage if setup properly.

Here is a quick example of a buddies car, he has daily drove this car for over 10 years as it has grown from a basic LS3 swap all the way to a 1300whp twin turbo monster that runs 8’s (might be in the 7’s ow actually, he was getting close last I talked to him).

The car is still stock inside except for the addition of harnesses last I checked and you would not even notice it was not a normal IS300 until he started it up.

Old video when it was only making mid 800’s, it is now closing in on 1500whp last I checked. Car is still the same, only the engine has changed.

All this said, just like flashlights, while 3000 lumen pocket rockets are common 1500 lumen EDC are a heck of a lot more common. In the case of cars, more and more cars now days can make 700-800whp on stock motors with nothing more then a tune and bolt on upgrades. These truly have no downsides at all, they are not even that expensive to build.

Like all those LS powered cars now days, bolt on a turbo and they are good for 700-800whp on E85 no problem at all. Some guys are pushing them past the 1000whp mark on stock motors.

If anyboby passed my Aunt on public roads doing way over the speed limit (15-20 mph would probably do it) she’d have a massive coronary and take out the surrounding drivers with her. The high speed diver would be hunted down and charged with all the injuries and deaths as at-fault.

Don’t know about now, but back when I rode a bike daily Europe limited all imported bikes to 100HP. Always thought it was ironic that the only place in world with an open speed limit didn’t freely allow motorcycles to play. Of course, we still have enforced speed limits here and typically 20 mph or more over posted limits can involve jail time. Much of our major highway systems have gone to 75MPH with reductions in more heavily trafficked areas ( like Ft. Worth and Dallas of course) There’s a long toll road East of Austin that is 80 and increases to 85 once South of the major Austin area. Fines for exceeding these higher posted limits are pretty stiff.

Difficult, really, to see how a flashlight comes into comparison where the legalities are considered. My daughter is a pizza delivery driver in the D/FW area, if someone playing with race car power on public roads caused her to be in an accident I would see to it the reprimands were insurmountable.

In a way this does tie into what I’ve been saying all along, even with a flashlight high power variants come with certain responsibilities and legal ownership. (referring here to owning up to damages possibly caused by misuse)

Interestingly even in the DFW area most of the highways are actually breaking the law with the posted speed limits.

Dale, did someone post about speed limits then delete it? I’m totally lost with this new topic.

Come on, knives have their own topics, please do the same for cars and bikes, on phone with only 1GB data till it gets really slow so please let me choose when to read about cars and the Q8 OK?

It is very interesting and a shame to have buried in the Q8 topic :wink:

This site needs a spam filter…

perhaps it’s time to ask SB to freeze the thread until you have something to add to it?

Heck no, people can ask to be put on list, people might have questions and we will have news.
It is very simple, when some off topic becomes a thread on its own, give it a thread of its own :wink:

Perhaps a 1 post a day filter on the thread, this should make sure people can get on the list, and the rest of us moderate our some times inappropriate posts.

Im not much for saying it, but i am the internet champion 3 years in a row for off topic posting, but trust me i actually filter myself a lot in this regard.

Aaaand…that is why I posted this…it was a mild attempt to get back on topic. (Not that I have anything against discussions about cars - I had a 500+hp ’68 Camaro!)

Respectfully TA, I don’t think I am looking at it the wrong way.

I understand what you are saying. I even agree with your examples and analogies between cars & flashlights.

I just think the overwhelming vast majority of people are no more interested in a 1000 hp daily driver “street car” than they are a 3000 lumen flashlight.

Be it cars, flashlights, or both obsessions …… we are relatively small niche groups in the big scheme of things.

……
Now…. how about those flashlights! :smiley:

just wondering how far away are we from finished product? i cant really wait :smiley: