Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

My second Q8 of two came in today - just a few days after the first one.

Perfect condition, leds better centered then first one, switch leds are even and a tad brighter then the first one too. Threads lubed but a bit crunchy. All working good!

Great job from all involved. Thanks a lot! :+1:

My Q8 ordered on September 7th arrived to me 29th. Works and looks perfect.
I am waiting for the next Q8 bought 1.10 (it is already somewhere in Turkey).
To those who have worked on Q8, thank you very much! :slight_smile:

Yay my first (and only) has finally arrived in Australia, only 1600km to go, and with Australia Post that could be a delivery tomorrow (unlikely) or take another week (likely) to get here.

Now I just need the cells to turn up, bpost handed them over to Australia Post two weeks ago and they are not on their tracking system yet :weary:

Cheers David

Wow, JonnyC - nice to see you back! I've mentioned you a few times, but probably not enough. You laid a big part of the foundation for my e-switch firmware, then later morphing to Narsil, and now to NarsilM. Not to mention you probably did the first lit button on an SRK here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/15114, I totally forgot about.

I try to remind everyone that NarsilM was a collaborative effort, and many BLFers contributed ideas to what was an evolution in the early days of this thread. So much appreciated for your input.

Actually the resistor is the same value of 15K, as used in the protos, but with the green LED change in production, they became brighter (though seems not as reliable) and I'm almost certain the parasitic drain stayed the same at 130-135 uA. I did measure it, but my notes are at home. I know i measured 120 uA when bumping up the resistor value. I used 16.9K and 19.6K resistors - not sure which was which amps, but definitely got it down to 120 uA.

I have had that circumstance a few times over the years-it does not mean nothing is happening. Most often I will have no activity, then 1-3 weeks later ā€œcustom clearance completeā€ or ā€œdeparting Logistics Centerā€. I think it means someone just missed the parcel scanning at that point in time-I hope it arrives soon. Considering the volume of lights ordered, there has only been one single case of a ā€œlostā€ light. I was lucky in that I got my first light soon after the order and the other two one week to two weeks after the one week Chinese Holiday. Unless there has been a post that contradicts my next advice, I would suggest shooting an email or starting a chat with Banggood and ask them where your light is. In my experience they seem to have a higher level of ability to track that customers do.

Just a quick ā€œThank youā€ again to the entire Q8 team. They have been so responsive to everyoneā€™s questions. I cannot think of a single industry where after a team designā€™s a product with consumer input from many people, parts and construction/assembly sourced, and post production ANY consumer can directly contact the project manager, electrical engineer, software programmer or really almost anyone involved and get a comprehensive answer in minutes or hours. I have exchanged multiple times with The Miller and Tom and have had comprehensive answers and suggestions usually in minutes, sometimes a couple of hours. Not to mention we have an awesome light with the latest and in my opinion, Greatest UI/programming, lighted led switch and all for less than a quarter of the cost of what this light could have cost if not designed by BLF. It was also pointed out that 100% of the 42 reviews of this light on Banggoodā€™s site were 5 stars. The only issues I had was the ā€œbump disconnectā€ that if it had not been pointed out to me, I may never have noticed it & A few
screws I replaced. My other two were perfect. Sincere appreciation for all the work done and for BLF members who contributed and supported this process.

That was so well put I have to wonder why youā€™re called Crazy, Eddieā€¦.:wink:

Itā€™s here!
Itā€™s a very neat light.
I just put some batteries in. It seems to have some minor machining flaws, gritty threads. Those are no big deal.
The only real issue I have seen ( in my less that 3 min or use so far) is that one led has a blemish. Like a scuff or something on itā€™s dome. Will this cause the led to burn out?

Itā€™d be wise to open it up and clean the dome with some alcohol on a qtipā€¦ just in case.

Good call. I just used some 91% it cleaned off Thank you. It looked like the dome was scuffed but the alcohol helped a lot! Now Iā€™m going to double click it!!!

Mine came yesterday. Intact box in plastic wrap. Inside, only the Q8 alone, no small bag of spare O-rings & switch cap!. The tubeā€™s threats front and rear clean but dry, I had to put in some grease. I only played with it in Ramping. Having trouble going Modes. Have to learn NarsilM closely. Big Thank for Q8 team especially The Miller.

It dwarfs my L6 beamā€¦ I am impressed.you guys did an awesome job!
I canā€™t wait for dark.
Im going to run one set of 30q now And then Iā€™ll fresh charge them for night time bat signaling.

BTW: i find it more comfortable to run the Q8 on two cells rather then the full four set. Itā€™s probably not as bright but it is barely noticeable, and it is much lighter to handle. Iā€™m less afraid to brake a tile or a toe if i drop it! :smiley:

Thanks Eddie, I think it is rewarding for Tom to see Narsil in a commercial light (though the D4 took front row in bringing his software to the masses just before the Q8 could :wink: )
Pilotdog68 saw his ideas already in the Kronos X5/X6 and (without even being asked) in the Cometa.
Idk how involved DEL has been in earlier BLF lights but do know some design elements of him again brought to the masses via the D4 (argh start of D4 just a few months later :smiley: would have been nice for losing virginity :wink: )
Djozz of course has seen many ideas and mods based on his research but his basic scetch and my crudely kolourpaint adaptations make it really our design, showed off and refined by Thijsco19.
MRsDNF placed so many good remarks, questions and humor at the right time it kept things light and just knowing a skilled machinist is watching along is a great moral strength.

For me, the thanks and feeling of holding a Q8 is awesome!

Pilotdog68 asked me, would you do it again, knowing the energy, time and sometimes nasty reactions to relative small things?
Heck yeah it is so worth it!

JakeDjanitor please do some hard turbo runs. If it gets worse, now is the time to know so we can take action.
So thoroughly test if the cleaning was sufficient.

Well, thatā€™s nice to hear.

Received my additional three Q8ā€™s from most recent batch and I am very pleased. No issues at all. These are awesome lights.

Thank You all for the hard work to bring this project together.

Q8 #1 is out for delivery. Wouldnā€™t you know my regular carrier is out? Heā€™s usually here before 11 AM, the fill in takes til 3 or 4 in the afternoon! UGH!

Oh yeah now the wait for us to see how much lumens you are going to be able to squeeze out of a Q8 begins :smiley: