Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

I know they are probably not supposed to but i put a set of vtc6’s in my q8 and they worked without solder blob.

well I wondered that, as the VT6C’s I received have a slight raised head on them and I did wonder if that would work, but I thought it would be a question of clearing the screws more than anything?

No Q8 here yet, so not tried, was waiting to inspect clearances.

Screws do not pose a risk
Check voltage of the cells after some use to check even discharge, you don’t want a full cell with three discharged in the tube.

Yeah my 30q flat tops also work and all make contact :wink:

I'm using brass screws for the reflector and LED board because of their thermal characteristics, not electrical.

Both the old and new batch should be M4 x 8mm for the big reflector screw, old batch MCPCB screws are M2.5 x 5mm, not sure about new batch LED board screws.

Well for $0.99 I just ordered 15x M2.5 x 5mm:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172852254089

Looks like the original eBay link had a rush on orders :smiley: They must be confused by the “BLF Effect”!

Not got my Q8 yet so only working of pictures posted so far, is it worth replacing the M4 x 8mm reflector screw then?

Thanks for confirming measurements by the way :slight_smile:

This is the seller I got my M4x8mm screws from. They were excellent, so I ordered more M2.5's and M3's from them.

Frist order of the the M2.5's and M3's from another eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/zoujianchow2013/Business-Industrial-BOLT-/_i.html?_fsub=8517105016 , were a mess with oil soaked threads and cracks on the heads. I did get a full refund though but won't be ordering from him again.

I checked cells after use they all discharged evenly . I wouldn’t recommend doing this unless you check the cells after some use.

Those don’t work. The positive tab is below the wrapper.

You probably have the raised flat top version. Those should work fine.

You probably run a high risk of ripping the wrapper, which isn’t a good idea as it increases the possibility of a short between the +ve and -ve sections. The Q8 requires raised tops, so use raised tops. Please don’t be the first person to write a “I just blew up my Q8” post.

Ok that’s good to know! I had positive balance in $ (thanks Q8 GAW!) so I did a search on ebay.com for a seller in $ to avoid paypal trying to rob me on $->£ from sterling listing…

Might hold off the M4 for now till I see the thing…

My vtc6’s tops are slightly above the wrapper. I have some 30q flatops and their tops are actually below the wrapper.

A little late but I ordered the BLF Q8.

Thanks to all involved in the creation of this light.

Want me to prove it? :wink:

They are below the wrapper but due to the pressure when screwing it in, it makes contact as the wrapper gets pushed down

Well just don’t use them. Solder blob them

Hmz, you are making me afraid hehe

The world is full of things that do work but are either not suggested to be used in that way or are simply not allowed to be used.

These things may work perfectly fine in 999 out of 1000 cases. It is the one case that’s trouble.

Just don’t risk to be that one unlucky Idiot.

And to the 999 lucky idiots, don’t boost about your luck, you may be the reason #1000 gets hurt.

If you know what you are doing and are fine with risks involved, that’s fine. After all, modding is always right up to that edge and beyond.
But don’t assume the regular customer has your level of expertise and experience.

Just don’t undermine safety guidelines just because you (think you) know better.

Thank you. My q8 will not glow in moonlight 1. But moonlight 2 lights up. I’ll leave it there

Setting my own moon level feels so special, IMHO it is the coolest feature of Narsil besides the ramping. Even not changing it from default I so like that it is possible!

+1 Well said. I sometimes take those kinds of borderline risks myself, but I don’t “recommend” that anyone else follow my example in that. And if someone asks me about one of those things, I usually tell them the long story about how dangerous it “might” be to do it that way, before telling them that it works for me. Then, I leave the decision up to them.

EDIT: Also want to say that a risk like this is not generally worth taking anyway, because it’s so easy to avoid it by just adding a solder blob to the top of the cell!