Thank you!

Will update op later
EDIT OP updated
Added little text about modding to manual, post 3

Add me in

Welcome to BLF!
Cool your first post here.

Thank you ,been a longtime lurker.

But I do hope ,we can get a HA3 as a option.

I think you have me covered on the short list over on CPF, but just in case, I’m in!

Been behind in keep'n up with this thread. Just fyi, Narsil supports 12 sets of modes, plus ramping. So, you could, for example, select one mode set of 4 modes, that switch to ramping, then switch out of ramping, and you will automatically get back to your previous selected mode set of 4 modes. I'm thinking this will come in handy, so ramping can be toggled, and it's the first configuration setting, so easy to get to.

Also just fyi, Narsil will be somewhat tweaked for this light, just like ToyKeeper did in Bistro for the X5 and X6 lights. Narsil w/ramping can certainly be used in a tiny 14500 (AA sized) pocket EDC lights, as well as an big serious throwers, or 20,000 - 40,000 lumens flood monsters (yes, these can be built today), but may have to be tweaked for the best performance, or altered to support hardware differences of the driver (ex: FET plus 7135, or FET only, or all 7135's).

Needless to say, my intent is to use it in all form factors of lights, as mentioned above, as long as they have an electronic switch.

Also, don't under estimate the throw capability of this light. It should perform as good, or maybe better than a good throwing C8. The 4 XPL's in NW will focus to a pretty decent hot spot. I even get decent throw from a 5X SRK or 7X J18 light (similar head diameter to an SRK) - the extra LED's make up for loss's in the reflector diameters (generally bigger reflector diameter, greater throw).

Ohhh - yes: SRK = Sky Ray King

Actually, the original SRK's were only 3X LED's, and then the Sky Ray Kung appeared, which were the first 4X LED versions. I prefer the term "soup can light" to describe the format, and avoids the name brand label, but SRK has been more commonly used.

Roughly, the original 3X SRK's could do 2,200 to 3,000 lumens or so, while the $20 clone 3X SRK's you buy now do far less, like 1,000 - 1,500 lumens with the fake CREE (LatticeBright) LED's, along with poor thermal designs, cheap driver designs, etc.

Yes, thanks for that!
I have added the number of people on CPF in the OP.
(and will now update CPF post with the number on BLF :slight_smile: )

Put me down for 1 please.

This is really an awesome lamp. I’m in for 1 please. and please continue working on the safety measures. This is a camping light, and no matter how careful we are, it will eventually fall on the wrong hands… :innocent:

Hum….so this will not be a flooder?? I really wanted a big lumens flooder as opposed to a shelf queen thrower :frowning:

are there silicon or plastic diffusers around for this kind of lights to use as a lantern ??? the ramping function of nasril makes that perfect for it

It will be a flooder, just that it will put out enough light to go a distance as well, my Sky Ray Kung out throws my standard C8 and lights up the whole building not just one spot :smiling_imp:

Cheers David

Will update OP later

Yes it sure is a flooder but such power means it also throws a lot :smiley:

Tom, interesting idea about safety, have 1 mode group (the last) with 3 modes
Moon low med so no high or turbo.
At 50% it still is very lumen rich but indeed when put in this mode group and used as camping lantern no kid can put it on high by accident

Yes I have linked to a diffuser a couple of times
And will edit it in this post again, with the pic where somebody uses a disposable cup as diffuser.

Diffuser input:

antiparanoico:

My own

post Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light - #114 by The_Miller

FYI for everyone not into photography, that diffuser is called a Gary Fong LightSphere, invented and patented by Mr Gary Fong (duh). Most likely a clone, since it has been widely and blatantly pirated all over.

OK BLF, we need some help, very specific help
The specs from OP and some clarifications about
1 integrated shelf
2 led board design (own Jos DTP quad emitter board) vs 4 individual Copper DTP stars for the LEDs

There are Chinese (speaking) BLFers who know flashlights and needless to say that is imperative for good translations, Google translate will not do.

Please pm.

Yes, +1. A 4X SRK will have a nice big hot spot and plenty of light in the spill area. Of course with a high amp FET design, this BLF Q8 light will have plenty of both. Pretty much any flashlight with a reflector (or reflectors) of any size can throw, and will not be a pure flooder -- this is the whole reason and purpose of a reflector. TIR optics will flood more, and a decent aspheric lens mounted close to the LED has the purest distribution of even light I've seen. As mentioned, any sort of diffuser will help knock down the throw, and help in dispersing the light out more equally, some better than others. Or you could use diffuser material like DC Fix, works well, reduces total lumens as all diffusers do. I really like DC Fix on a small 16340 twsity light I have, mainly because the beam pattern from the reflector was awful, but the light is great now for any close-up work, or seeing immediately in front of you.

I thought someone posted here before that the total lumens lost from DC Fix is a lot less than other methods used. It also performs better than some other methods in actually diffusing the light. That stuff is very well engineered!