Questions on Chinese Pocket Knives

The top four used to be pretty distinct even just a couple of years ago. However now they are all pretty much bunched up together and it is now down to individual knives rather than brands.

I actually went looking for my ZB-681 the other day, and I think it was stolen. I started to feel bad but it was probably the cheapest knife in the whole knife roll, the rest of which was intact. But I still miss it :frowning:

It should be noted that for most people, Chinese knives are just a stepping stone to a larger addiction. And then from there it just keeps getting worse. There’s a certain progression, just like with flashlights. Chinese knives are made from passable steels, but there’s such a variety out there.

I’ve got Japanese made knives in VG-10, ZDP-189, Aogami Super Blue and a HAP40 Delica on the way, which sold out in about 10 minutes I think lol. And that’s just Japanese steel. It’s hard to keep up with all the new USA made “super steels.” My first thought holding a CPM S90V knife in my hand was “This could probably cut a Ganzo in half” lol.

So, be prepared for an addiction that could dwarf any flashlight addiction. But hey, it’s better than to be addicted to heroin or something. I can take my addictions out late at night and play with them. Pretty, pretty, things.

Most Enlan and Ganzo knives I used have longer blades ~90mm. I prefer with a axislock the Enlan EL02B, Ganzo G704, with linerlocks the Sanrenmu 9063 and Sanrenmu 913p (if a half serration blade is ok, have acloser look at this). The Enlan EL01 is great but has also blade length of 93mm - it's the big brother of the EM01. Go for it - the EM01 is also nice (I have 4 EL01 in different handle colors and the EM01 was a little bit to small for me - OI like 90mm much more

Maybe this could be a good choice for you: Sanrenmu 7007 LUC-GH (this is the not colored blade version - price is round about $10). It has G10, 72mm blade - here is a small video review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n0XrtV1COE

Bee L02 (Bee is a company of Enlan), blade length 75mm, G10, liner lock

or one of my edc knives, but I haven't seen this for a longer time in the usually shops: Leen 1203-1:
69mm blade length, G10 handle, liner lock, 440C steel. Here some picture (Leen and Enlan EM01).
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/20729

Don’t forget the budget switchblades!

Since you are considering a $200 knife, you may want check into the Real Steel E771 Sea Eagle. It is about 2 to 3 times the price of most budget knives, but it is well worth it. It is thin and light, but very strong. It's near your blade length limit of 3.74". Amazing flip action on bearings. Mine came with a not well done edge, but othe wise it is a very excellent folder and my favorite. The Sandvik 14C28N steel seems pretty decent because it took a good bit of effort and time to properly sharpen the edge. Cost around $42 for G10, $47 for CF at Knife Center.

The picture below was posted by NuggetMcNugget in Post 689 here.

Thanks for the reco’s guys!

I checked out aliexpress but I get the feeling that nowadays even the Sanrenmu brand is being copied.
For example, I want SR 7010 but there is just too much variation on small things like handle colours (camo pattern but different pattern on every knife) or where the logo is stamped on the blade, sometimes near spine and other times down on belly of blade. On factory produced knives these kind of things should be identical.

So it seems even the $5 knives have copies now.

Is there a thread here with info of reputable dealers/sellers either on aliexpress or other website?

I found the Ganzo & Enlan website, but I cannot find SRM website.

I just check seller ratings and reviews on AE sites to get a fair idea of the quality of the knife. I’ve got a few 710/7010’s and have never had less than excellent quality irrespective of where I bought it from.

Gearbest has legit Sanrenmu and Ganzo. I think Exduct is still in business.

Lots of complaints about Gearbest in the “Dealer Experiences” Forum here.

I found another website called Fasttech.

Fasttech’s options for shipping knives has dried up. Check out their forum and people’s complaints about no shipping options. Gearbest is OK, if you use tracking number and insurance. Factor those costs into your buying decision. Or order from Aliexpress.

Fasttech used to be a great source of knives. At least for me all of their shipping options now say “can’t ship to the US” or I would still be buying from them. Whatever problems GB are having, shipping fake knives isn’t one of them. I just cancelled an order because my Ganzo G719 hadn’t shipped after 3 weeks and I’m worried this might be the end of those cheap, plentiful Ganzos and SRMs. Either way, no harm, no foul, as they issued the refund within a couple hours of me asking for it.

My bank won’t let me use Ali Express but it will let me use PP and most of these direct sellers take PP. And yeah, there’s always Ali or even flea bay if you don’t like GB. You can even catch a bunch of these knives from Amazon sellers and in some cases even fulfilled by Amazon. Certainly lots of budget Kershaws and such can be had in the $20 range, and I believe that gets you close to the Byrd lines.

Go up into the $30 and $40 range with places like BladeHQ you’ll get autos, OTF, Balisongs and the like, and that also puts you into the lower range of USA made knives which you can get anywhere.

Also check the exchange over at blade forums. You have to pay to be a seller, but it’s free to be a buyer or just window shop. You’ll find everything from budget Ganzos to $1000 customs, all without waiting on the slow boat from China.

You have a lot of options, and finding those gems is half the fun. I just got my Spyderco Des Horn that I got on an Amazon black Friday Lightning deal for $62. I’m surprised I clicked in time :slight_smile:

Hi Guys,
So I spent much time reading reviews and finally selected a list of possible candidates.
But the big question I have is how is the detent on these models … specifically this question is for current owners who have them in hand.

In the reviews no one mentions detent, and I need strong detent so there is no accidental opening, even the blade coming out just partially by a few millimetres is totally unacceptable to me.
I hurt myself on a blade once before that opened in my pocket and do not want any repeats of that.

Here are models I am considering:
Enlan
EM-01
EL-04
EL-04MCT
EL-02B
M025

Ganzo
g729
g704
g726m
g724m
g702
g717
G701
G738

I look forward to your advice.

I have a 724m, no issue with the detent, the other Ganzo axis locks I have that are not on your list (711, 720, 727) all have a good detent strength as well. I think it is easier due to geometry and the mechanism of the axis lock to get good closed blade retention.

I agree with the need for a good detent, I have a couple of small scars from knife tips and bad detents…. Got lucky they were not worse.

I own or used to own all of the aforementioned folders (except the G738 which is a quite new model) without any detent issues.

The detent system on ganzos with axis lock are good.

My Ganzos axis lock have a stronger detent than my Benchmade ones, their spring is stiffer.

Thanks Guys for answering my question about detent.

OK so now I start to order them! :slight_smile:

Is there a Ganzo knife model that has assisted opening and an axis lock? wasn’t able to find one in the usual shops.

As others have pointed out, a good axis style lock is made to hold the blade closed until you move the lock-stud. One issue w/ any knife using a thumb-stud / axis lock-stud is the stud catching inside the pocket and releasing the blade as the knife is withdrawn. The simplest answer for this issue is to use a tip-down clip or lanyard carry configuration so that even if the blade releases it won’t swing outward until out of the pocket.

Another consideration is the pivot tension. A few of my knives arrived w/ the pivot so tight it required both hands to open the knife. Others w/ bearings (ball or needle) came very loose and would actually fall open if held inverted. Proper cleaning, lubrication and judicious pivot adjustment will keep accidents to a minimum.