Recommendation for 21700 liion capacity tester

Need a recommendation for a good, consistent capacity tester for 21700 liion ( unprotected) cells. Am from India so can’t purchase any well-known chargers like opus or xtar. My options are skyrc mc3000( but it’s a bit costly to buy multiple units), litikola lii600, opus 3100( old version ), litikola lii500. I have a 1035+ ir tester so it accuracy in these chargers is not a issue.

Please suggest a model available in india or these websites

www.uniqkart.in

1 Thank

It’s nice to see you, sandeep!
That’s a very Indian-sounding username. :+1:

Can you order from AliExpress in India?

AliExpress is banned here

1 Thank

Do you want JUST a capacity tester, or a charger/tester?
The dedicated testers are more accurate and may be less expensive than a charger/tester. I don’t use a charger/tester to do my baseline capacity testing anymore. Also do internal resistance testing WAY better than slider charger/testers. The amp draw on charger/testers is also quite limited due to heat problems.

I use this specific model, but there a lots more.
You also need a Four Wire Battery Test Rack Battery Clamp 10A With Terminal 26650 18650 AA AAA

Read up on it.

This one’s good, but it’s single channel. I have like 100 cells to test and it’ll be a nightmare. Charger/tester with multiple channels ( 4 atleast) is what am looking for.

If there’s a good multi channel ( 4 atleast )capacity tester then please suggest. I’ll get it instead

Personally I’d probably get the Opus. I have the older one, it’s still fine and one of my most used chargers. You CAN bump the current a bit on that one DUE TO THE COOLING. You WILL want those features dealing with 100 large cells. It also has more settings options. OTOH, lots of people hate the little fan, which doesn’t bother me at all. I did replace it after getting tired of taking it apart to lube it several times a year.

The Li500 is fine also ( I have 2), but I don’t use them as much as the Opus. It is more current and setting limited, but it’s probably also cheaper. It is sufficient, but not as optimal.
Get one of each?

1 Thank

The Lii-600 is also not bad, it can dicharge/test at 4x 750mA with LiIon and it don´t have an annyoing fan like the Opus.

Otherwise, India is a warm country, dunno if a passive cooled charger is the best option there.

1 Thank

Of the ones you listed, I would go with the MC3000. It is an expensive unit, but I have been using one daily for around 12 years now and it still works well.
It has a fan but it doesn’t bother me. I know it can do testing at 1 amp X 4 discharge ( maybe higher… I just don’t recall). It can also be calibrated by the user. The discharge characteristics have very fine adjustments for termination etc. that you won’t get with the others.
They did something with the IR readings in firmware version 1.17 that give different readings than previous versions, but you can flash 1.15 to fix that.

I guess, as usual, it comes down to your budget, but I believe it is by far the best option of the ones that you have access to.

2 Thanks

FWIW I have a small computer fan powered by a wall wart cooling about any battery I charge or discharge, including the Opus. Anything from 6-12v will work. Lower voltage = quieter but less cooling. Also depends a lot on the choice of fan. If you can scavenge a 120mm CPU tower fan most are pretty quiet.

I concur w/ @Mandrake50 re: the MC3000. It is not expensive for what it delivers. It is only ‘expensive’ by comparison to much lesser devices. It also provides the ability to specify things such as exact discharge cutoff voltage for capacity tests, and other things most other similar devices do not provide, so flexibility is a key factor in the decision. We all have a budget though, so I understand that very well, and for a multi-unit purchase, you might not need for them to all be MC3000s.

Although you have an AC Impedance tester (using 2kHz AC) which provides you with that measurement (aka: ACIR), the MC 3000 would provide you with traditional DC Internal Resistance measurements (aka: DCIR), and do so with accuracy and repeatability likely unmatched by any other such device. This could prove valuable if / when you want to compare your measurements with those provided by a number of other sources which also measure / specify that parameter, as they are significantly different and cannot be inter-converted mathematically.

1 Thank

@Mandrake50 @flydiver thanks for the suggestions I’ll get the mc500, if I have to choose between these:
*litikola lii600
*opus (old version not the v2.2)
*xtar vc8 vs xtar vc4
*Nitecore ( mostly all their models are available here )

I need something that gives a consistent and acceptable capacity reading, don’t want them to be overly generous like the lii600

The only time I’ve done a(EDIT) properly-somewhat scientific test comparing discharge test results between my Opus 3100 and MC3000 revealed this, just for one data point which might interest you. As for which one I consider to likely be the most accurate(?), based on all I’ve been able to gather, I would definitely put my bet on the MC3000:

The 2 devices in use were / are:

• Opus BT-C3100 V2.2
  • SkyRC MC3000 FW Rev: 1.15

I ran discharge tests on 4 new examples of NItecore NL-166 , protected 16340 cells which have a rated capacity of 650 mAh. Discharge current used was 1.0A, and discharge cutoff voltage was set to 2.8V on the MC3000, and the non-configurable default value of the Opus is the same (~2.8V).

The resulting capacity (in mAh) indicated by the MC3000 was:
Cell #6 - 671
Cell #7 - 677
Cell #8 - 677
Cell #9 - 666

The next day I ran the same test on the Opus, with the following results:
Cell #6 - 718
Cell #7 - 709
Cell #8 - 741
Cell #9 - 725

Those results would seem to indicate that the capacity results of the Opus are, in this particular case, ~7.5% higher than those of the MC3000.

*litikola lii600 sounds like a good option with 4x 750mA
*opus (old version not the v2.2) not sure about the pre-V2.2, it´s one of the fastest LiIon-discharger but noisy
*xtar vc8 vs xtar vc4 very slow, only if you don´t care about time; but it can not directly discharge, you have to use the Test-function
*Nitecore ( mostly all their models are available here ) I don´t know a Nitecore-charger with discharge/test-function

I think the MC3000 is overall the best choice but only if you want to pay the price and really use the possibilities of parameter-setting.

From your list I would choose the Lii-600 and maybe a fan :slight_smile:

I think there are several other things that are important. One, and for me a big one, the things seem to be built to last. As mentioned. I have been using one of the ones that I have for over 12 years pretty much daily, and it still works perfectly.

User calibration. Being able to set up the parameters to something you know is accurate id real important to me. At least, it makes it easy to standardize your reading across all your measurement devices.

It measures real time voltage even after termination. I find resting voltage to be an important indicator of cell health. Along with capacity and IR, I use this extensively for cell matching.

If one is using it for screening a bunch of cells, the ability to interface it with a computer to monitor the process and log results is a very good feature.

Yes you pay for the features, build quality, and flexibility. But I have had several lesser chargers dies over the time I have had my MC3000s. But they are still working perfectly. That by itself is worth a lot to me.

Sorry if I come off as an advertisement for the MC3000, but I have no financial involvement with SkyRc. I just love this charger.

You forgot this :wink:

I think Sandeep have to decide, if he really use the possibilities of the MC3000 and accept the price, it´s fine for me

I don´t measure LiIon everday and have the Lii-600 only for some months, so I can´t say much about the longevity of it.

I think I´m an enthusiast for chargers but still don´t have a MC3000. It´s not only the price, also the design and my experience with 2 other Skyrcs (NC1500, NC2200). No problems with longevity here, good features, good performance, but not really good at charging for NiMH, and both are NiMH-only-chargers.

I remember also that the first revision of the MC3000 had some problems with longevity, maybe you have also a bit luck that your charger is going strong so long.

Well, they had problems with the spring attachments. I did do a workaround for that on mine which is from the first run series. Other than that it has been solid. The one I use as a spare is from the second run with fixes for the springs , dual fans, and the improved contacts. I can’t say much about how long that one will last, as it probably has under 100 hours on it. Even though it is about 4 years old. I just use the original one every day… :smiling_imp:

1 Thank

@everyone thanks for your suggestions, I’ll be getting 2 mc300 and 1 lii600.

1 Thank

That should cover it. I would like to read of your thoughts on the lii600 when you get it.
BTW, there are lots of guides for setting up and using the MC3000 out there. A guy did a nice spreadsheet where you can enter your cell info and it calculated the other parameters for you. There is also a manual that somebody translated and simplified the sometimes confusing manual for SkyRC. If you are interested let me know and I can provide links.

1 Thank

I made a small review of the Lii-600 in german

Maybe with Google translate it´s readable

2 Thanks