Reflector revised: ReyLight Pineapple Brass 14500/AA Flashlight, Nichia 219C 4000K

Beautiful polish! I polished mine too, and really like it. It is one of my favorite lights - the heft is great, I like the modes (although a brighter top mode would be nice) and the Nichia 219C 4000K is a winner in my eyes; I, too, like its slightly ‘archaic’ look (as Meich mentions above).

Using it reminds me of wandering around the dark in the Uncharted games with Nathan Drake’s retro flashlight. The heft, the archaic look, the weathering I added, the warmth of the beam, the throwy beam pattern, and even the ring in the spill area… somehow it all goes together to give a feeling of adventure. Some of these things would normally bug me, but in this case I think it works.

Yep… adventure. An orange trit goes quite nicely with it - the warm glow fits the archaic charm; looks a bit like an inner flame.

Agree!
I was thinking about what trit color to put and you give this idea. :+1:

I, me myself and I, all of us, do not like constant current. I “REQUIRE” PWM. So there. Whew! Feel so much better having gotten that off my chest!

Love the Titanium version Rey, HAVE to have one! :wink:

I just solved the wobbly-button- and not-quite-tailstanding- “problem at once with a simple workaround.
Button wobbliness is caused by a quite big gap between the button and the hole it’s in. Button is app. 9.7 mm, hole is 10.0 mm. The drilling inside the tail, in which the collar part of the button is in, is app. 10.7 mm in diameter. So there’s a theoretical 0.5 mm of space between the button and the inner drilling.* My idea was to put a wire in which is slightly smaller in diameter than this 0.5 mm, so that the button side play is minimized. (The idea came to me reading a posting of gunga’s at CPF saying ”The only real solution is to add a thin spacer between the button and the tailcap”)
First try was with 0.5 mm Sterling silver wire which I have lying around. :smiley: Cut 30 mm off and bent it to a circle. Was too tight, button went through, but not back, the spring force of the switch not high enough. Some thinking later I found the perfect material: a bristle from my stainless file brush! My caliper showed something between 0.3 and 0.35 mm - perfect!
Cut, formed a rough circle, put it in, removed the two layers of tape from the switch, and reassembled the tail.
Works like a charm! Only very little play left now, and the button ist recessed enough for the light to tailstand on the brass itself. A little less smooth-running now, the button, but this may be mainly due to the spacer circle not being really perfectly round. And a little bit of grease could help too, probably…
And one could try different wire materials, copper maybe…

Will take some pics on Thursday, no time before then.

Good night, good sleep …

:slight_smile:

• EDIT: The play is not mostly due to the gap between the thinner 9.7 mm part of the button and the 10.0 mm outer drilling in the brass body, but because of the collar of the button being too tiny (don’t quite remember and no time to dissassemble now, but it’s 10.2 or 10.3 mm or so, vs. the 10.7 mm of the inner drilling in the brass). So the button is able to sit quite a bit angled, what it often does after clicking and pressed back by the switch. The tiny collar of the button extending into the outer drilling, having only two points of contact vs. the collar in the brass part. This behaviour is also caused / made easier by the convex shape of the top of the internal switch, on which the bottom of the button can slide easily a bit and sitting slightly angled when out of center.
    I think the wire fix works fine also because it forms sort of a conical funnel, a ramp, in which the button is centered when coming back.

Hey. Awesome stuff. Great idea!

At first, I thought the not good beam is due to the brass reflection. Then the same thing happened on the Ti proto.
Realized something and I asked the factory to dispose the old reflectors, and make some new ones. Below is a picture, it looks perfect now, no ringy at all,and a little bit more throw.

Rey, would it possible to buy replacement reflector?

Yes, sure. I will provide some, no charge and free shipping. You might send me 1.5$ extra for a tracking number.

Hi Rey

I like the original reflector rather than the new one with the more focused hot spot - will the 2 that I got on massdrop have the original reflector? If so, might I get a couple original reflectors?

I love the Pineapple — have been using it lots.

[Very nice to offer the replacement for those who want it, Rey - always great customer service!]

Wow! THAT is customer service! Respect!

Don’t know if there is enough time to complete the Ti production before Chinese New Year. We’re having a 15 days holiday.
PMd.

That is quite an improvement! I may have to buy one of those reflectors. Also looking for an uncoated lens if I can find one the right size.

Are those two lights making the same amount of lumens? It looks like both the hotspot and the spill are brighter on the left. It’s probably because the beam is tighter, but it looks like output is higher throughout the entire beam.

Wow, huge improvement! Rey, you are the man. Most would not consider going back and fixing this issue. I have one and may order a second light.

Thanks Rey!

Very nicely done Rey, love it!

And I’ll have to buy a new one for myself, probably the Ti one now, as my nephew latched onto my brass pineapple for his Christmas present. :wink: (I might just have to get myself another pineapple with the new reflector AND the Ti version, because I’ve been so very good this year… :smiley: )

So now the driver is settled out, and the reflector too. And the Ti version is in the make. Sounds like it is high time for the damascus version after all !

I know I can't afford it. I really can't, I'm sure it is way too expensive, my girlfriend will kill me.

how much is it?

But you will look AWESOME holding that damascus version Rey Pineapple in your casket! :stuck_out_tongue:

Your girlfriend could have them wire the light to a solar place marker and you would be illuminated for all eternity by the smooth glow of a High CRI Nichia Damapple Rey light. How perfect is that? hahahahaha

Yep, that’s an awesome improvement. Great job Rey. I’ll be ordering another one too. Maybe a couple. I’ve had more than one person try to take my brass pineapple already. :slight_smile: