Replacing a Headlamp

Skip to last paragraph for question. I’m looking to replace a H03 that went missing several weeks ago.

Things i liked about it ;

• switch on the side of the torch head so easy to find and easy to activate
  • user replaceable battery so a quick battery change for extended runtimes
  • head band had the the secondary strap over top of the head
  • beam was nice and smooth and floody
  • quite compact for a18650 light

Things i didn’t like about it ;

• uneven mode spacings
  • it obviously felt front heavy on the head. This didn’t actually bother me much but it was noticeably unbalanced

I bought a convoy H1 (… i think it’s H1, it’s the 18650 size) . Whilst the UI is great and has the side switch it’s a little bigger and heavier than the H03 and the head band doesn’t have the top strap. So it feels very front heavy and unbalanced. Sure i can just get a new head band with top strap but something else caught my eye…

So my real question, would it be worth my while to buy a Nitecore NU40 / NU50 with battery extension case? I like the idea it looks more balanced and has a top switch. Thoughts?

I have the NU43 with the extension battery case.
The headlamp is very good and is comfortable, but the batt case is crap in my opinion.
Mine only worked for 5 min and now it’s dead already.
It also looks very cheap made, I think it could break very fast!

I’ve never had an H03 but I’m thinking the Sofirn SP40 or SP40A might work for you.
It comes with both 18650 and 18350 battery tubes and a nice headband with the third strap.
They come with Cree XPL-HD or Samsung LH351D, I’d recommend the LH351D.

@Overload that’s disappointing to hear

@INeedMoreLumens I don’t like the switch position on the Sofirns but they otherwise look okay.

1 Thank

Armytek also has side switch headlamps

1 Thank

Pricey but looks like it’ll suit me well. Thanks I’ll take a closer look

Yes if you want smooth wide flood, Armytek wizards are a good choice. Most but not all of them have plenty of mode levels. The c2 pro (warm 4000k) or c2 pro Nichia are probably the best choices if you’re located in Australia.

1 Thank

Why is that the best choice in oz ?

I explain it here.

1 Thank

Thanks

You can replace H03 with H04 only. Want custom driver? I have one.

1 Thank

That sounds interesting. Can you point me to the custom driver please :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Thank