Review: 6x XM-L 3 Mode Bike Light from ledoman

ledoman’s 6x XM-L Bike Light (Stock)

I finally received the giveaway from ledoman and as agreed, here’s my brief review of bike light in stock form:

The bike light came together with the DX driver, 2 silicon rings, wall charger, cable and circuit of its original battery pack, and its battery pack holder.

Here are the measurements taken on the light. A 2S2P 18650 battery case using 4x Sanyo 2600 mAh was used. The present voltage reading is 7.95 volts

width 56mm
length 49mm
high 1.28 amps
low 0.48 amps
strobe 0.64 amps

Here’s the 6x XM-L beside the MagLite 4D which I earlier modded to 6x XR-E. Its heads are about the same width.

And here’s the 6x XM-L BL together with my other multi-XM-L Lights: Modified BTU Shocker, TrustFire X100, BlackShadow Terminator, 6x XM-L BL, and Modified Sky Ray King

Lux readings were taken at 11 meters (and used to compute Candela values) and here’s the result of the 6x XM-L compared to some of my bike lights and multi XM-L lights:

Light lux kcd
6x XM-L 7.9
SolarStorm X2 (mod) 7.4
SingFire SF90 10.3
BTU Shocker (mod) 297
TrustFire X100 49.2
BlackShadow Terminator 57.6
Sky Ray King (mod) 25.9

Beam Shots of some my Multi-XML Lights were taken at a tree 60 meters away:

Black Shadow Terminator (stock)

TrustFire X100 (stock)

Sky Ray King (mod with 3x XM-L2 T6 3Bs on SinkPads

6x XM-L Bike Light (stock)

Beam Shots of my bike lights attached to my Mountain Bike were also taken:

SolarStorm X2 (mod with 2x XM-L2 T6 3Bs on direct aluminum MCPCB), my Low Beam

SingFire SF90 (stock), my High Beam

Low Beam and High Beam both on making me the brightest MTB on the road at night

6x XM-L BL - a bit floodier than the two combined but definitely needs more throw.

This 6x XM-L Bike Light, though a multi-XM-L light, is not at par with my other muli-XM-L lights. It doesn’t break away from my X-2 and SF90 either. Hopefully after the driver mod (and of course the cable and lead wire mods), this light would function to its full potential. Until then, I would say that there’s nothing special with this light in its stock form.

Nice review. I'm glad you did a lot of comparations with other lights. Having small reflector size for each led this 6x XM-L is expected to have much wider beam so it appears not so very bright. Hence, low lux reading at 11 meters.

As you have seen it pulls very low power from the battery pack - only about 10W. The new driver from DX should at least double that input power, based on my measurments with some other 4S XM-L light. There I've got 23W of input power. The new driver is regulated so it should pull constant power from the batteries. The stock isn't regulated, but rather constant input current - try to measure power and lux at 3 different voltage inputs down to 6V. Would love to see how lux are changing. Reapeating those readings with changed driver should show quite some difference.

Hope you'll be happy with the light after all the mods. Specialy I would be interested with the last step - dedoming some of the leds. Be careful with that ;-)

Thanks ledoman!

Yes the small multi-reflectors would make it produce a wider beam but increasing the current should somehow increase the lux. My TrustFire X100 has about the same sized reflectors with the 6x but its draws 2.24 Amps at the tail cap with 4 King Kong 4000 mAh 26650s giving 15.97 volts or a total of 35W of input power. As a result, its lux reading is 49,247 (as opposed to only 7,986 for the 6x) on tests taken at 11 meters. I’m expecting the 6x to do the same, or at least drastically increase the lux reading, with the driver change.

I’ll try to measure power and lux at 3 different voltage inputs as requested and I’ll update you on my findings. There’s no doubt this bike light would give me many years of fun especially after I have done all the mods that I need to do. And I’ll document and report the development and results as promised. :slight_smile:

nice review. I hope you mean candela and not lux in the chart. lux is a reading from the meter, while candela (cd) does not vary with distance. Please refer to http://flashlightwiki.com/Light_Output_Measurements for definitions and proper usage. Your description and chart sounds like you read the meter in lux at 11 meters and recorded the #'s in that chart, which is not what I think you did. Candela or kcd (preferred in 1,000's) makes it 100% clear. I generally use whole #'s of kcd, but will also use 10th's if the kcd is low, like maybe under 20 kcd.

The Shocker # you have is 297,072 in lux taken at 11 meters, which is 35,945 kcd Smile. There's no point in showing 100th's or more of kcd since our meters are no where near that accurate anyway.

Thank you Tom E. I have made appropriate corrections in the OP. :bigsmile:

The candela values are already computed to one meter. I used the formula cd = (lux) x (distance in meters) x (distance in meters) so for the Shocker, the reading at 11 meters is 2,455 so that cd = (2455) x (11) x (11) = 297,055. I’m wrong again with 297,072. :bigsmile:

Am I doing it right?

Yep, looks good! Just the labeling/terms you used. Better Smile, but I'd recommend using kcd (1,000 candela) because it's more common here, easier to absorb, and throws away the insignificant digits Smile.

Done! :slight_smile:

Modification of the Ledoman X6 finally done!

Here’s the link to my review.