[review] Acebeam gray Pokelit AA/14500 light!

What a nice treat this light was. It came in a pretty low-key and unassuming box, and the light and other accoutrements were in a clear plastic tray inside. In the box was the light itself, manual-sheet, lanyard, usb cable, and spare set of O-rings. Lanyard, cable, and O-rings are exactly as you’d imagine, so I don’t need to go into details.

The light itself was immediately impressive. It was a nice dark charcoal-gray semi-gloss ano, which is a nice change from Basic Black. Button and clip are a contrasting black. The clip is bidirectional and gloss black, and is fairly deep-carry, so doesn’t leave half the light sticking out of your pocket. I’m generally not a fan of clips and usually immediately remove them if they’re already attached to the light, and bidirectional clips just add height with the double-bend, but it’s not too obtrusive, so for now I’m leaving it on. It looks kind of nice and is just springy enough without being loose, so who knows, I may grow to like it. :smiley:

The size and shape of the light is quite nice. A good size for an AA-sized light, pretty grippy given the light knurling and some notches along the way, and still easy to work the rear switch without having to fidget with the light. It’s not a “sleek” design but not “busy”, either. It scores a nice balance between the two. Having a sleek design with minimal knurling, etc., looks great, but can be tricky to work the light if your hands or the light is wet, soapy, greasy, etc. Too much knurling and notching, etc., and it looks like someone’s plumbing project. So this sits nicely in the middle.

The front of the light looks almost as if it has a TIR lens but it’s definitely a small reflector. More on this in a bit…

The switch is a pretty nice and stiff forward-clicky, is, momentary-on. I loooooove forward-clickies for precisely that, a momentary-on beam as to not have to click-on/click-off when you just want a quick blip of light. The only downside is when switching modes, you need to “get used to it”.

Which brings us to the UI, the user-interface. The light has 3 different brightness levels: low, medium, high. Off-then-on advances to the next mode. With a reverse-clicky, or momentary-off when the light’s on, and it’s easy to select the mode you want. With a forward-clicky, you should do that in momentary-on mode until you get the brightness you want, then click-through to keep the light on. Since I got my first forward-clicky light (an XTAR WK50), I got used to it pretty quickly. It helps to come to a preference you want the light to start out in, say, low, and keep it on that low setting unless you want something brighter. By knowing it’s on low, and of course “resetting” to low if you switch to a brighter mode, if you know you want medium, you’ll blip it on low and again to medium, then click through to let it “stick” on medium. Similarly with 2 blips to get to high.

The advantage of having momentary-on, say, to check your watch, to get a quick look down an alley, etc., is worth learning the different way of doing things. I think it takes something like 10sec of the light being off to memorise its mode. That lengthy period lets you switch modes when the light’s on by actually turning it off and then back on again. The downside is that if you want momentary blips, it’ll advance to the next mode if you don’t wait long enough. Fair tradeoff.

The beam itself is a nice wide spot due to the small reflector, so covers a decent area at medium ranges. But that means it’s definitely not a thrower. Which is fine, because most small-light usage will typically be close-range like looking under a desk, in a closet, to around your basement or attic. If you want to see what’s making that howling noise at the opposite end of a field, you’d want a bigger light anyway, if anything, to be able to see what’s about to eat you.

Now, I’ve got the 2AA Pokelite, and while that’s also supposed to be 6500K, it’s a wonderful just-warm-of-neutral color of maybe 4500K, but this light is definitely in the 6000K range, or “white-white”. I was hoping it’d be that warmer shade of white, but it’s not. But it’s definitely not tinged greenish or anything, even when on low mode (where lots of LEDs “go green”). So there’s nothing objectionable to the beam. No weird artifacts, etc., just a pretty clean hotspot with some spill off to the sides.

Now, the light includes a 14500 cell that has built-in charging, so it’s likely a 14430 cell with a few mm for the charging circuit. It has its micro-usb port for charging, and LED in the cap which shows red when charging and green when fully charged. It’s labeled 920mAH, and clocked in at 842mAH/849mAH on my Opus at 500mA testing current. That’s within 10%, so I’m fine with it.

The switch is nice and firm, so it shouldn’t accidentally turn on in your pocket unless you really smash it. The 2AA’s switch, to me, had some issues, but this newer incarnation seems to have fixed everything quite nicely. The button sits proud, with no irritating thumb-guards to dig into your finger if you don’t position your thumb perfectly, etc. You can hit the switch from any angle and reliably turn it on when you want to.

So all in all, it’s quite nicely done up. My only suggestion to improve it would be to make the color-temp a bit warmer like my 2AA has, which again is more like 4500K than 6500K. Beyond that… I can’t think of any shortcomings that would scream “fix me!!”. :smiley:

1 Thank

Picked one up on sale. Nice light.

Been carrying the Green one with Nichia for the last 45 days as EDC and love it.
Switch never comes on in pocket. Generally run Med level w/ 14500, still plenty bright for most tasks and easy on Battery. High will drain pretty quick which is to be expected with 14500.

Also works well with AA Eneloops and gives lower low if you want bedroom lows.
Also figured out that if you had to use it for being in a Jam, rip off the clip and she comes very similar to a roll of Dimes :slight_smile:

May pick up one in the Gray now that we have some feedback on the tint.
What emitter does it use?

1 Thank

Yeh, just like my TS10, crank it up (as I usually do, trying to find wtf my cats did now…) and it eats the battery pretty quickly.

Did ask, got a reply but which didn’t answer the question, so it’s still up in the air.

Pretty nice, though, all things considered. Even if it’s not high-CRI, it’s still a decent tint, not greenish (and I still don’t mind '351 levels of green, and the '219C is too lemon yellow for me).

I’ve been using the green one for a while; really like it; the usb charging cable that came with it is orange making it easier to pick out from all the others. :dotted_line_face:
It looks like the tail unscrews; it does not.

I had some issues with the switch on the green 2AA one, but definitely like the CT/tint lots more.

And yeah, I was thinking the tail would have to come off, that I was doing something wrong, but for both of them, only the head comes off.

Wouldda sworn that the “exploded view” pix showed the tailcaps off, but maybe I was just imagining it.

I thought the 2AA version used a 5000K 519A? Was there another version that was supposed to be 6500K?

The box said 6500K, but was definitely warmer.

5000K makes sense, and it really is a nice beam.

Thanx for a nice ‘real-world’ review. Sounds like a generally decent design I could probably live with. Although I don’t really ‘need’ one, I’m tempted by the “5000K”, 519A version BJ is stocking just to try out the latest darling diode du jour so many seem to be swooning over these days just to see what they’re carrying on about, but can’t quite talk myself into something heavy and copper. Maybe that’ll keep me from spending money I really don’t need to spend:-)

Tnx! I like the forward-clicky and that it’s a tailswitch, so always easy to find.

And the switch sits proud and doesn’t have those hideous “thumb guards” that dig into your thumb if you grab it at anything but the perfect angle.

I read some reviews with complaints of the flashlight failing to light after small distance drops. One mentioned failure after dropping on to a carpet. Has anyone had experience with dropping the pokelit? Thanks.

I wish the battery charged in the flashlight with a USB C slot on the flashlight rather than the battery.

I dropped the green one from waist high direct to Linoleum and it survived no problem.

Wonder what battery they had installed when dropped, longer cell could have possibly jarred the driver loose if hit just right?

Naw, 'cause then some idiot would stick an alkaleak in there, flashlight go boom, and then returns and bad reviews ensue.

Just doing reviews LB?

For now. Had an assload of other threads going, but never got any notifications of any new stuff coming in. Checked one that was in the main listing (amazon deals? maybe that…), had no idea which was my last-read or anything, scrolled backwards, think I hit [home] and got to message #1 in the thread. Ugh.

So hit [end] and got to the last one, tried [PgUp] like a brazillion times 'til I saw something that looked familiar, seemed to be a huge gap in the dates, literally jumped like a month or two (wut?), and kinda gave up.

Working the new system is… cumbersome. And I get frustrated easily when I gotta fight any interface, whether it be an OS, webpage, program, app, anything. I admit, the more painful it is to use something, the less likely I am to use it, or at least minimise the frustration.

No, not bashing the new system, just explaining.

I miss the “yootoob videos”, “what are you snacking on”, “what’s the weather like where you are”, as well as other reviews (Markus, RustyJoe, Flasholic, etc.), even just new queries, etc.

Aha. Saw in the “suggested topics” a few threads that had A Number (29) to the right of the subject, including, yes indeedy, the amazon thread.

Yep, 29 new messages, but never got any notifications.

2 more threads that popped up similarly, the emitter-type thread, and one other.

So basically I’m not getting any new notifications except for random ones like to your reply.

Have you seen the tracking button below the the last post in a thread? There are a few different options for tracking .

Only thing I can see is [Watching] which has a bell with… wotdahell is that, an exclamation point?.. and looking at the options explained, that’s “maximum notice”, which is what I want.

Still doesn’t explain why nuttin’ else gets notifications.

Click your avatar top right. Go down to profile and then preferences and then emails. There is something there about emails . Maybe that will help.

You can also monkey with notifications there.