REVIEW: Aili Power Supply / Flashlight

Aili Portable USB 5v 1.2A Power Bank Torch

Reviewer's Overall Rating: ★★★★

Summary:

Battery: 18650 * 2 (parallel, 2nd optional)
Switches: 3 - Discharge, Lights, Meter
Modes: 1 mode
LED: 2 * 1 watt CW
Lens: TIR, wide flood
Tailstands: Yes
Price Paid: $13.00 US shipped
Date Ordered:

Pros:

• Good value at price paid.
  • Customer selects quality, chemistry, and capacity for replaceable 18650 batteries (not included).

Cons:

• Miniature phillips screws on charger endplate.
  • Plastic endplates.

Features / Value: ★★★★★

Nice aluminum case body compared to the typical plastic case; and it is still surprisingly lightweight (similar to the weight of my SolarForce L2). The built-in double flashlight has TIR lenses that merge into a nice smooth floody beam. The charger end shares power to recharge or power other electronic devices that will work withing the supplied voltage and amperage. Charger is built in, and unit will supply power while charging if the power supply (not included) has adequate capacity (max ~1.6A).

Design / Build Quality: ★★★★

A very nice looking unit as supplied. After a drop from table height to tile, the aluminum remained unscratched, while the plastic charge meter button had some very light scratches. With 2 batteries a lot of capacity can be carried in a small package that is not much bigger than 2 of today's skinny cell phones. With the design of the screwed endplate, this unit is designed for long-term use of a pair of batteries which are recharged inside the unit by some form of external power supply (such as a phone charger). I would have MUCH preferred that the charger end had knurled or hex head screws or even nuts on threaded rods so that removal and replacement of the batteries is both a simpler chore and longer-lasting than screws where the finish and heads can easily strip. The push buttons are pretty flat to the surface, but I feel the unit should be carried in a case that will protect them from being accidentally engaged. My wife has a hard-sided sunglass case that would hold two of these units, so we'll look for something similar but thinner to use as a case for her purse or a jacket pocket. Around the house the unit's design is anti-roll and no case is necessary.

Battery Life: ★★★★★

Battery life is pretty much dependent on the batteries the user puts inside the unit. I've modified my unit to more easily swap batteries since I'm using harvested laptop cells. If I weren't, I'd get some 3400 mAh unprotected panasonics sold by a trusted vendor.

Light Output: ★★☆☆☆

With just a 2W rating, light is useful out to about 50 to 75 feet, at least when batteries are fully charged. Based on shining it up into very large oaks about 50' off the back patio. Interestingly, the twin beams merge really well at even very, very short distances. Because it is so floody, the useful distance drops off pretty fast and is pretty dim at over 100 feet. At 2W, amperage draw should be about 250mAh for each light and run time should be nearly 10 hours with 2 average 2400mAh batteries and about 14 hours with 3400s. The light circuit shuts down when voltage drops too low for charging output (about 3v on mine), but I was able to reactivate the circuit and the lights continue to work afterward. Even at only 3v the lights were bright enough to easily light up the far side of a 30 x 30 foot room.

Summary: ★★★★

My wife asked for it and I can't think of a better recommendation than that. Additional links, photos, and testing info in the usage notes below.

Headlight view

Light end with round power button for lights

Wall shot on grey stucco @ 11 feet
Seems dimmer than seen by eye (cannot control shutter speed)

Square button with holes underneath is for the power meter

Underside of power meter button and oem vs replacement screws

Charger end with small PC screws (for battery replacement using common driver/multitool) and small power activation button

Charger end plate pulled out of body

Initial thoughts

Request for input on charger components

1st use
Button on end must be pushed to make output active and also to activate light control. Meter reads low power with partially discharged batteries.

Green light on left signals output is discharging. Charged cell phone from dead to ~80% including about 1 hour heavy wireless data & screen usage, power level dropped with auto shut off. 44% in first hour, another ~15-20% during 2nd hour with use, balance in 3rd hour. Tried charging other devices including another phone and IPad, but battery capacity too low to do more than a percent or so on each. Lights continue to work.

Recharged via car charger, red light on right active while charging. Unit warm while charging. Red turns to green light to signal charge complete? Meter reads batteries full. Batteries removed and tested at 4.1v.

Two
Sanyo batts installed with 4.2v charge. Cell phone charged from ~50% to full in ~2 hours with screen and all radios active (and no cell tower) during entire charge cycle. Green light stays on after phone says charging complete, turns off after phone disconnected from power supply. Power meter no longer reads full (3 of 4 lights).

2nd cell charged while on from 15% to 100% in about 3 hours with some app use. Power meter down to low again. Lights still working well for what they are; quite surprising how well the two smooth beams merge.

Charged phone while using it for about an hour and output shut down part way through. When battery cutoff occurs, lights are also disabled. However, reactivating the unit will let lights work. (Will lights cut off?) Sanyos were both discharged to 3.04v so it appears the boost driver has this as a lower limit. Getting the flush Phillips screws out again was a pain. Need to look for hex/torx/knurled replacements!!!

Three
While I look for new screws, I’ll think on whether to try IMR 2250s or a single 3100 next (all 3 new from Kumabear). Hmmm. Well, I don’t like the way protected batts fit, so I’ve got Sanyos almost ready to go back in off a separate charger. I was able to cram 1 UF3000 in (lights worked), but I felt 2 Keeppowers were too tight and I don’t want to clip the springs (which are on both ends).

Couldn’t find good extremely small screws, so I’ve hogged out the case with much larger screws off a PC and have sanded the ridges off the faceplate corners. Hope it holds together. Tail stands fine with the larger screws.

Noticed that after charging phone to 100% the usb output shuts off and phone discharges. If I push the power meter button, output and phone charging cycle restarts. I also found that end plate needs to be completely seated. If it is not, the power meter can stay on, and that would drain the batteries over time.

Was going to try to rig up a way to try and measure draw current (though it might not be accurate due to extra resistance wire. But I somehow managed to create smoke. Can’t find where, batteries and all components look OK to the eye. So I’ve shelved that idea for now.

Lessons / To Do

1. Test would be more useful if batteries had verified capacity -> get a charger that will measures this
  2. Chinese screws are garbage -> Replacements inserted
  3. Cutting up old USB printer cables is fun -> finish the cable wire leads
  4. Cell phone pics suck -> use digital camera when possible
  5. Know charger rating before using -> our Verizon car charger has no specs on it or the web site, it appears to be ~1A in that it does fast charging and was designed for 2 devices.
  6. Phone input monitoring would be ideal -> Please PM me if you find an Android Battery Widget/App that gives a charging input reading (I’ve found some that estimate charge time but without current values)

I know what you are reviewing. I liked the look of them. Far nicer quality than the 4 cell jobbie I got a week ago. Looking forward to your opinion. :)

I am certainly very tempted by it, currently I'm EDCing a ML-02 charger but this one may be better for my purposes.

I'll state here that a ML-02 will fully charge an iphone from 0% to 100% and still have power left if being powered by a NCR18650B.

Just PM me when this is done and I’ll send it frontpage and sticky it. Thanks!

PM sent. Thanks!!

Thanks a lot! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.

I just received mine and it HASNT got led on it! its just a power supply without any “light”.
Send a question to the seller and we will see…

Pic & item #? - I don’t see a similar non-LED unit for sale by the seller I used.

PS I also don’t know why the link above is not working as the colon ( : ) appears to be there when I disable rich text.- Fixed by removing http:// prefix in link.

The seller has already contacted me and requested photos too. I sent him the same, seems to be very willing to help. we will see…

I am having a hard time to insert the photos to my post, so here is a link

Photos

Item No: 181004143310

Ahh, looks like you used the same seller as I did. I didn’t see that he even had it available with the non-LED version. I might be interested if he offers those at a good price, though I’m still thinking of getting a 4 battery plastic case next. I got one of the ML102s and like it a lot, but neither one charges my son’s Nexus phone.

Is that an aluminum plate on the end where the LEDs go, or is it plastic? The other end with ports looks like chromed plastic, like mine is.

To post a photo, copy the direct link from your image host and then click the insert image when entering a post here. Drop the URL into the first box - the rest are optional.

Yes its plastic. I tried to insert picture but didnt make it! anyway i agreed to a resend with the right item so as i expected he is a reliable seller