[Review] Armytek Prime C2 Pro

Not long ago – actually just ten days ago – I reviewed the Armytek Wizard C2 Pro Nichia. What I didn’t tell you: I’ve also got a Prime C2 Pro as a companion for the Wizard from Armytek! Now it’s time to review this little pocket flooder.

As both lights are very similar (except for the obvious differences in their shape, of course), most of this text is just a copy of the Wizard review. So if you’ve read my Wizard review, you can skip the text and just enjoy the pictures. I will highlight differences with a red Prime.

This review is also available in German on my website: SammysHP Blog › Armytek Prime C2 Pro

Supplied parts and hardware

• 18650 Li-ion battery with 3500 mAh (3.54 V on delivery)
  • Clip
  • Holster Prime
  • 2x replacement o-ring
  • Magnetic charging cable
  • Quick start guide (EN, DE, FR, RU, FI, SE, NO, PL)

The quick start guide contains a QR code that lets you download the full manual as a PDF. Saves paper and most functions are sufficiently explained in the quick start guide.

Simple design with matt black anodization. The textue allows a secure handling even without knurling, but makes it harder to clean. It’s almost like a chalkboard.

Prime

• Length: 118 mm
  • Diameter: 20.5 – 24.5 mm
  • Weight: 66 g / 115 g with battery

Perfect companion for the Armytek Wizard with a matching design!

Charging of the battery is possible using the magnetic charging port in the tailcap. Good solution to protect against water and dirt, but it requires the special charging adapter.

First you have to unscrew the tailcap slightly. Then it’s enough to move the light near the charging adapter and it will snap in place. Perfect! There are two status LEDs in the adapter:

Color

Status

green

Standby / charging finished

red flashing

Loosen tailcap

orange flashing

Voltage too low or dirty contacts

red

Charging (1 A)

orange

Charging with reduced power (0.5 A)

The magnetic tailcap can also be used for attaching the light. The magnet is strong enough to hold the flashlight horizontal safely. There’s no risk for a short: The center contact is recessed, with tightened tailcap both contacts have the same potential and with loosened tailcap there’s also no current.

The tailcap is sealed with two o-rings against water. The flashlight is rated as IPX8 (10 m deep). Both sides have strong springs to guarantee a good contact with the battery.

Prime The included holster allows you to carry the Prime on your belt or backpack. It has a small D-ring and a fixed loop for attachment.

Prime There’s also a clip, but Armytek sent me an older batch with a tiny clip that is different from the one shown in official product pictures. As it was mostly useless for me, I didn’t review it any further.

There’s no hole to attach a lanyard, but you can knot a piece of paracord to the battery tube if you like.

The matt anodization appears to be very sensitive and easy to scratch. Here you can see the marks after the first usage of the clip. But any light will show wear after some time, so it’s not a big issue for me. The head is glued and the electronics are fully potted. Armytek advertises that it will survive drops of 10 m height.

User interface and features

The prominent and colorful part of the flashlight is the electronic switch at the side of the head. It is used to control all functions.

You have the choice between two UIs. In the “general UI” some levels and features like strobe are omitted.

State

Action

Function

Off

1C

Turn on (previous mode)

Off

1H

On

1C

Turn off

On

2C

Turbo (last used turbo in advanced UI)

On

1H

All features are available in the “advanced UI”. To switch between both UIs, slightly unscrew the tailcap, keep the button pressed, tighten the tailcap and release the button.

State

Action

Function

Off

1C

Turn on (previous mode)

Off

2C

Turn on (main group)

Off

3C

Turn on (turbo group)

Off

4C

Turn on (strobe group)

Off

1H

On

1C

Turn off

On

2C

Switch between firefly and main group

On

3C

Turbo group

On

4C

Strobe group

On

1H

The switch includes a backlight that shows the aproximate state of charge when the flashlight is on.

Voltage

Color

> 3.4 V

green flashing (every five seconds)

3.1 – 3.4 V

orange flashing (every two seconds)

2.8 – 3.1 V

red flashing (every second)

2.65 – 2.8 V

Firefly without switch LED

< 2.65 V

Flashlight turns off

When the temperature rises from high power, the switch indicated the temperature.

Color

Temperature

3x orange flashes (every two seconds)

Warning, flashlight gets warm

3x red flashes (every second)

Too hot, output will be reduced

You can configure the switch backlight to blink every five seconds when the flashlight is off. To change the setting, slightly unscrew the tailcap, hold the button pressed, tighten and loosen the tailcap, then release the button.

While it switch is pressed, it lights up red. Feedback in addition to the loud and solid click. The switch is easy to find because of it’s exposed location. It’s also protruding some millimeters, so be careful while carrying it in your pocket. Mechanical lockout is possible.

I like the intuitive UI. No gimmicks, but instead basic features that are arranged in a reasonable fashion. The switch is easy to find, but you should use mechanical lockout if you carry the flashlight in your pocket.

Illumination

Prime You can get the Prime C2 Pro in a cool white and a warm white variant. Both use a Cree XHP50.2 LED with lots of power, but mediocre color rendition. For my test I had the cool white version.

XHP50 tend to produce a magenta-green tint shift. But the Prime has a pebbled TIR (protected by a green AR coated glass lens) and creates a very floody and even beam. For a flashlight that you hold in the hand it’s almost too floody for my taste. The Prime is design for close-up range, but creates a nice, even light in that area.

Driver and runtime

For the price you can expect a good driver. The Prime uses a boost driver that is able to keep the output mostly independent of the battery voltage and provides a good efficiency.

Mode

Brightness (from manufacturer)

Runtime (from manufacturer)

Current (measured)

Turbo 3

2400/610 lm

30 s + 2:48 h

7.2 A

Turbo 2

1710/610 lm

1:30 min + 2:47 h

3.8 A

Turbo 1

815/610 lm

22 min + 2:22 h

1.5 A

Main 3

350 lm

5:20 h

0.54 A

Main 2

150 lm

12:30 h

0.22 A

Main 1

40 lm

40:30 h

0.07 A

Firefly 3

5 lm

12 d

–––

Firefly 2

1 lm

40 d

–––

Firefly 1

0.15 lm

200 d

–––

Off

–––

–––

7 µA

I’m not able to measure the absolute brightness, but because of the very floody beam it feels different than throwy flashlights anyway. While my runtime measurement of the Main 3 mode mostly matches the advertised runtime, it’s far off for the turbo levels. I think this is caused by the cooling in my tests. The output will be reduced when the flashlight reaches about 55 °C. Because of the cooling the flashlight kept its output higher for a longer time, which shortened the runtime.

After all tests it was still running at a low firefly level and the battery was at about 2.85 V. So still hours of firefly left.

There’s no PWM, but some levels have very minor ripple. Not visible at all.

Even with the blinking locator switch the flashlight consumes almost no power while it’s off. Here’s a measurement with an oscilloscope:

Charging runs at either 1 A or 0.5 A depending on the power source. But I noticed that it’s not the usual CC/CV method. Instead the charger starts pulsing at some point. While there are some pulsed charging methods for li-ion batteries, usually they run at several Hz. The Armytek charger turns the output off for some seconds every minute or so. After 3.5 h the battery is fully charged to 4.17 V. Not sure how this charging method affects the battery life.

Btw, the magnetic charging in the tailcap doesn’t contain any magic. The center contact is connected to the negative pole of the battery, the outside with the host. When the tailcap is tightened, the battery tube presses against the tailcap PCB and both contacts have the same potential. When it is loosened, the connection is broken and the body becomes the positive pole for charging.

Conclusion

Prime A small, powerful pocket flooder with simple user interface. Don’t expect any throw, but you’ll get a very nice even illumination. If you already have an Armytek flashlight, this will be the ideal compagnon with a matching design and compatible magnetic charging system.

The anodization might wear quickly. Also the charging method might wear the battery faster than necessary. Too bad Armytek doesn’t have a Nichia variant like the Wizard.

Currently you can get the Armytek Prime C2 Pro in the official Armytek shop with 15% discount by using the code SAMMYSHP15. I’m not sure if it will work in all international stores, just try it out.

1 Thank

I got this one a year ago, modded with XHP50.3HI 90CI and different (better) TIR. Still impressed.

Good review!

What TIR did you use and how did it make it better? One with better throw?

I need to check when i get home nect week.

Please send me PM as a reminder.

I think it’s Yaijamei as am using it in every TIR mode i did. And yes, super throwey unlike stock pure flooder. Even if you just replace TIR without emitter you’ll get massive outputs. Search my posts on reddit, the same nick as here (although i’m banned, my posts are still visible)

I have the older version. Its quite nice.

Where do you get those optics again?

Aliexpres, where else

I thought you knew Gunga…(?)

Of note, this Prime is much easier to mod than the previous model. The old V3 has the MCPCB riveted to the body with the leads running through the rivet holes, so you have to remove the switch bezel, pull the leads through, punch out the rivets without damaging the MCPCB, then thread the leads back in blind. Not very mod-friendly!

That’s an interesting way of attaching the MCPCB I’ve never seen before. On the other hand it sounds like a robust solution. Thanks for the history!

What is right tir optics for this light? I have asked yajiamei optics, but they don’t have correct one. I want narrower beam.

Looks like @id30209 posted about the 20mm Yaijamei 10deg beaded optic he swapped out here: Armytek Prime C2 Pro v4 mod, shaved XHP35HD 5700K 90CRI and Yaijamei 10deg beaded optic : flashlight

No link to AliExpress though.

1 Thank

This works with original prime c2 pro xph35hd, old model.

€ 0,39 | Cree LED lens Diameter 20mm Bead surface(10 15 20 25 30 38 45 60 85 degrees lens) XPE/XPG lens ,XP-G2 Lens
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPvsBFU

This is wrong shaped also

€ 0,24 | power led lens 20mm Bead surface 10 degrees and 15 20 25 30 45 60 degrees lens, 1W 3W lens Reflector,LED Optical lens
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrsgrp0

1 Thank

I have older version of this flashlight. I am really satisfied with that, Now it is 2 years without charging and still work. Yes, I am not using it really often, but for that 2 years I have it everyday with me. But I don´t like that clip, so I understand. :smiley:

1 Thank

So, there is no replacement tir lens for original xph50.2 led?

Just search gor Yaijamei 5050 lenses in Aliexpress shop