Review: Convoy M2 2014 Version (XM-L2 T6 4C, 1x18650)

Love your pics and the great detail on measurements, well organized, etc. I got a M2 host on order from FT - they updated the pics for the 2014 model, so I'm fairly confident I'll get the new version...

Me too, waiting on the MaxToch MCPCB's to arrive - they seem made for the Y3. Once you get it modded out, I think you'll like it. I really like mine with led4power's driver in it - excellent UI, how the Y3 should be -- all UI from the side switch, instant high, instant low access, etc. I couldn't fit the KK 26700 cell in the HD2010's I have, but heard some guys did. I can fit the 26700 in all the Y3's I got though, so that adds another bonus. CNQ now carries the KK 26700's, besided RMM in the US.

Back to the M2 - almost perfect P60 replacement/upgrade as you point out, just wish we could get or find an SMO reflector for it, but the OP is nice for sure.

I tried the Omten PBS101C, and it seems to fit perfectly in the M2.

This looks like spacer from the older M2

Sorry. I assumed that that hadn’t changed, but I’m glad to know I can upgrade my older M2s.

Thanks for the review. The pictures are excellent and extremely helpful fot figuring out what way to go with modding this light!

Thanks for a great review, RaceR86! I’m very tempted…

Thanks for the nice review!! I have one on the way as well!! Time to put an MT-G2 into it and see how it handles heat compared to the older model :bigsmile:

Thanks for the feedback.

Cool plans! :bigsmile: I have to say/warn you or anyone interested. Stock reflector on M2 does not seem that suitable for an MT-G2 as for example the M1. If you look at the picture comparing both reflectors, you will see that the M2 isnt as wide at the bottom. I measured 7,1mm emitter hole. The "butterfly" centering ring that also fits is 7mm. So its in that area. MT-G2 needs about 8mm hole. Means you have to do some drilling, and with a reflector that starts to narrow in all the way from the bottom, that may not give you the best results.

If you, or anyone decides to put on MT-G2 in it, please share how it went.

Thanks for the very detailed review and images. I’m anxious to receive mine.

I prefer smooth bezels as well. I wonder if the Solarforce bezels for the P60 series will fit the M2.

I have the Solarforce L2P and the Shadow VG-10 (very close to the new M2), but I don’t know if the M2 takes the same bezel as the Shadow.

JW

They won’t.

Thanks

Regarding the switch.

I asked SImon, (the Convoy guy) if any customers have reported switch failures. He said no, and he would pay attention to it.

I tested the switch for a total of 12 hours and 450 clicks (around 70% were half presses) at around 6,6A over a couple of days. I used a power supply. Tested in a "moist" garage. I was thinking of putting more time and clicks into the test, but got bored/tired of checking in on it and doing clicks. Considering all the other similar switches I and many others have "abused"/used these switches way beyond specs. Ill just call it good. Ill stand by the comment in my review "I consider Omten switches to be good reliable switches that can handle a good amount of current.". So far this little switch handled way more than its supposed to handle that way more than most will push through it, and it did not even break a sweat (get warm). I would not worry about using that switch even on a hot-rod single emitter setup. If someone plan on increasing the amps alot then the spring must be improved. Otherwise it will become hot, and that could lead to an issue with the switch (like with all lights).

Did some minor tweaks to the review. Among others I have now confirmed that there is no low voltage cut off, as I assumed when writing the review.

I have modded my light. Ill be back with an update on that later on.

Excellent review(s).

Thanks Rusty Joe!

Did a minor update to post 1, showing pictures of how I modded my light some time ago...

My new M2 also has the little white Omten reverse-type switch.

Does anyone know of a suitable forward-type replacement? Either complete module or loose switch would be acceptable.

Oh, and one more thing-

Tailcap retaining ring unscrews clockwise (left-hand thread) to remove switch. Or…at least it does on my M2.

Thanks-
JW

Yes, its clockwise on mine as well. My mistake. Fixed the review now. Thanks.

Im not aware of any suitable small forward type-switches. Only the regular (and fairly tall) forward switch that is used in many lights, which will probably not fit. Maybe others know of any...

@ ouchy: Thank you for lightening up this thread.

@ Racer: I just re-read your review. It is still a good review. And I fully concur with your thoughts and findings when modding this light. It is good at handling the heat though.

Yeah, for a compact light, I would say it handles heat well. Im good with the 4,5A driver in mine. :)

(Im sure some will want to go higher, and im sure some will say 4,5A peak is even too much but its all about preference, use, and what batteries people plan on using..)

Thanks for the review. Illumn says they have had problems in some cases fitting large protected cells in it. Is that so?