Review: Manker MK34, 12 XP-G3, 3x18650 Floodlight

I just got two Manker MK34 (one with Nichia 219b and one with XP-G3), and although i love the build quality, i think they are cheating with this one. First of all, i have compared the MK34 8000 lumens flashlight with my old Olight SR Mini Intimidator II (a 3200 lumens flooder). MK34 on Turbo is actually less bright than the Olight (tested both outside with my friends and also inside with my light meter - HS1010). How is this possible? It should be at least 2x brighter!

Not only that, but there is no temperature controlled stepdown like i’ve seen in the review, but just an ugly instant stepdown after just 30 seconds (tried it like 100 times - it’s 30 secs on the clock). The stepdown is so bad that it actually hurts your eyes in the dark. While MK34 goes at about 3x lower brightness (6.300 lux) in just 30 seconds, the Olight Mini Intimidator II steps down gradually after more than 5 minutes and you can hardly notice it.

After asking the seller why is this happening (he also posted a chart on his website showing how MK34 steps down after 2.5 minutes or so - not just 30 seconds), he received a message from Manker. They said “yes, it will step down after 30 seconds. This is normal!”. So, i am sending these two Manker MK34 back, because i feel cheated and probably never buy a Manker flashlight again. So, please beware!

My test using the light meter - both flashlights on turbo:
Olight SR Mini Intimidator II (3200 lumens) = 19.000 LUX for over 5 minutes
Manker MK34 XP-G3 (8000 lumens) = 18.900 LUX for just 30 seconds

My test using the light meter - both flashlights on turbo after 2 minutes:
Olight SR Mini Intimidator II (3200 lumens) = 18.900 LUX
Manker MK34 XP-G3 (8000 lumens) = 6.300 LUX for just 30 seconds

@MonkY

Do you shine the flashlight directly at the lightmeter sensor? If so than that comparison between the two is not relevant about max lumen levels, only strictly measuring the candela (throw)
Also I would ask what cells do you use?

@MonkY

Thanks for comparing the 219b and XP-G3 Variant of MK34. (The 6300 LUX are the 219b and not the XP-G3, isn’t it? Than you have to correct your post.)

I have had a MK34 219b and was disapointed too.
I measured around 3500 Lumen on Turbo with Samsung 25R: Manker MK34 - Review | Taschenlampen Forum (In this post my Lumen-Calibration is 10% too low)
And I measured only 0,9-1,1 Ampere per Emitter (compared to the Noctigon M43 which should have 2A per Emitter).

Well MK34 is a clone name for M43 like many other things on this flashlight.
I have measure before the output on the M43 and it is as claimed 8A for 4P3S LEDs

@Hikelite
The values i posted are the ones i got after measuring directly. But i have also tried the “tunnel” method with about the same results. Anyway, even if you don’t take the measurements into account, when you go outside in the dark and put them side-by-side, there is no difference between those two flashlights (with Olight actually beeing a little brighter). And in my humble opinion, between 3200 lumens and 8000 there should be a hell of a difference.

I have posted this just to let people know that the Manker’s 8000 lumens are much worst than Olight’s 3200 ones, and to not do the same mistake i do. But even if you don’t care so much about the lumens, the fact that you can only use the Manker for 30 seconds (why not thermal regulated?!?) while the Olight goes for at least 10 times more… should be enough. And the worst part is the brightness drop, that’s an eye killer. In complete darkness, the drop is so fast that will make your eyes take a while to get used… and that kinda defeats the purpose of a good flashlight.

I guess you are talking about Noctigon Meteor M43. Now i am sorry i haven’t got that one!
Btw, does the Meteor M43 has the same ugly drop like the Manker MK34 does?
Thanks!

The 6300 LUX is where the Manker MK34 with XP-G3 drops after 30 seconds. I haven’t tested the drop on the Nichia one, but in Turbo mode i got a max of 18.900 LUX on the XP-G3 and 13.500 LUX on the Nichia.

Btw, i am using the recommended Sanyo NCR18650GA/3500mAh.

Drop is at about 1 minute 30seconds, drops to about 4000lm then to 3500lm from the max 6500lm for the Nichia 219B-V1 5000K 90CRI. Considering it is outputting 80W, that is a lot of thermal built up that is quite fine, it’s for quick peaks anyway not for constant run.
I only meant to say the output current is as claimed.

The Noctigon M43 has a termnal step down and no timed drop. It gets verry warm in short time.
The claimed 8A wasn’t a question for me because the flashlight was constructed by hank from intl-outdoor.com and the driver was programmed by drjones, well known in this forum an on taschenlampen-forum.de. And I think they are very reliable.

But thats enough OT I think.

The MK34 is such a great light in its own right, so I really wish Manker stopped claiming output levels for it that are unobtainable.

Equipped with Nichia 219BT-V1 it’s on par with the M43 with the same LED:s (as per my own primitive measurement), but nowhere near the level Manker says (the manufacturer claimed level for the M43 is a lot less).

+1,

It’s a shame. I’ve emailed Manker a couple of months ago concerning the output of the MK34, and Manker’s been very open about it. So it’s a shame they don’t correct the lumen values.
You see, if Manker is going to release another, more powerful 4x18650 10000 lumen light for example, why would you buy it? Maybe a review will say the light outputs 9500 lumens or so, but then again Selbuilt also got 7500 lumens for the XP-G3 version of the MK34, which is close enough for me. There might be different quality lights out there, and who knows maybe reviewers get a pimped up extra checked version. It just back fires by still stating the 219b version outputs 6500 lumens; the output difference is just too much…

Here is my review. I have similar values in my Integrated Sphere.

http://www.forolinternas.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13622

I don’t have a luxmeter, but on highest mode (Nichia 219B) is brigher than Olight X7 in High mode (3000 lm) and about same bright like X7 on Turbo mode (5500 lm) , by eye estimated MK34 Nichia 219B is around 5000 lumens on turbo.

For me is more than ok ~~5000lm for such a small/compact flashlight (a lot more small than X7) , I like a lot the neutral Nichia 219B version.

I remove the plastic polarity protection, so can use also flat tops cells (like Samsung Q30) .

Built quality seems premium, the only issue (in my personal opinion ) is like at X7, the rubber switch, I don’t feel confident on a long period of use (4-5 years) , but we will see.

If this was comparison of the Nichia 219B and 219C, can you repost? Thx.

Clearance sale now! MK34 and Bundle.

Thats not realy cheap for this flashlight. In my opinion thats no clearance-sale price.

I would see this flashlight around $50-$60 for clearance, to be competitive.

The Emisar D18 has a similar size and more power for the same price: https://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d18.html
Fireflies ROT 66 ist cheaper: http://www.ff-light.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50
And the Astrolux MF01S is cheaper, brighter but a bit bigger.
All tree has a better UI than the Manker-UI. I think the most members of this forum will agree for the better UI.

manker has some of the worst UI in the flashlight industry… plz change it…

Yes, I did not wrote something different. I only wrote, that the Anduril-Flashlighs has a better UI.

Does anybody know what optics are being used in the MK34? They are different and narrower than the carclo 4up TIR lenses.

These.