Review: New 612 - A great budget P60 SIZED alternative for 10$ (+ mod and beam shots)

Did you just say that you are going to put one XP-G2 and XM-L2 in the same C8?? :slight_smile:

I sold my last XM-L C8 quite cheap to my cousin.
But im going to build the 612 with a hard driven XP-G2. A hard driven P60 XP-G2 or 2. And even harder driven C8 XP-G2. I plan to do a comparison. Hopefully post some beamshots in this thread.
Im going through most of the tints too. Going to play a little with de-doming.
Should soon finish a 5x XP-G Saik Sa305 with a huge pill. And will probably make a Maglite 3D into a tripe XP-G2 with some nice features.

Already have a SK68 with XP-G2 + another zoom host with XP-G2 on copper sinkpad. I plan to test dual XP-G2 in that host too.

All that should get me a good dose of XP-G (2)s… Single 1. gen XP-Gs never did it for me. So I have mostly been an XM-L guy since the beam is brighter and more useful for my type of use. XM-L2s are just not that much brighter with the typical drivers, especially since I prefer hard driven single emitter lights.
But XP-G2 + copper MCPCB just gives new meaning to those small emitters! And throw is fun! So I got an excuse to try them out in many configurations. :bigsmile: 0:)

one c8 host, twp pills, a collection of different reflectors, sort of see what floats my boat, I suspect it will be a hard driven xp-g2 with a two stage reflector to be honest but we shall see, I’ll have the option to chop and change as I please.

Modded light done… See second post in this thread.

Nice Mod! I predict a lot more copper in lights in the future.
I have a decent supply now, plus Noctigon from Hank is always there too.

Nice mod Racer! Love that beam!

-Garry

there is the little brother with AA/14500 config..if the stock has better built, will be easier choice over an typical UF501 host..

just bought this from ft, I’m a flashaholic :frowning:

Congrats!
No worries. You are in good company… We will take care of you… :smiley:

Thanks a lot for the review! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.

Has anyone here bought/reviewed the AA/14500 version?

I added some solid core copper wire to replace the spring between the head and body and with some Panasonic PDs, current increased to 1.8A+. I took out the black spacer ring around the emitter and stuck in one of the FT bowtie XM-l gasket.

I have the driver mentioned above and just need too order the glass.

I bought this light just because it was cheap and FT said the batteries could be shipped in a device but this really is a very flexible platform for a mod.

Thanks for great review RaceR86!

I bought one of these to be my first victim since it look looks easy enough to swap in a new emitter, driver, and glass lens. The driver looks like a press fit into the pill. Is it safe to assume that all I need to do to take it out is to pry it out? After removing the wires to the emitter of course.

Thanks for looking

Yes that sounds about right. Sometimes therer can be a small flat spot on the driver or a couple small holes unit. Use small prying tool on the fly area. I’ve stuck a small round object on one of the holes before and pries from there too. Not sure if that was a good idea but it worked out okay.

Thanks for the info. The driver seems to have burnt itself out (smells and only the lowest mode works) when I had the light partially disassembled and was playing around with it. Can’t do anymore damage prying it out :slight_smile:

Have you a link?