Review of Lightscastle 12x ultrafire 7,200 lumen multiemitter. (WOW)

I’m thinking I did file them but not too far so that I wouldn’t accidentally kill the de-domed emitters.

what about this one 15 x CREE XM-L2 LED it is only 59.96$ shiped

I just got one of these the other day.

It’s a nice enough light but it has some problems. The driver is not all that powerful and there isn’t an easy way to mod the driver for more power. The other problem is that it has a hollow pill. It also has a large aluminum star but it sits on top of a doughnut. There is a big hole right under the three center emitters and only God knows why, there is another gap where the outer emitters sit. It’s a nice big heavy light but why they mounted the star on a doughnut is beyond me.

On the plus side the driver does have memory and not the next mode memory. I just wish it was more powerful.

thank you 18sixfifty

how much current the driver pulls ?

and by large aluminum star you mean its one big star that all led are on it ?

how is the wiring for the emitters ?

I never test the drivers so I don’t know on that one. Also I’m sorry but I didn’t pay attention to how they were wired. Yes one big star that they are all on. I pulled everything and mounted them on sinkpads and filled to doughnut hole and the outside as well.

I did test the lumens and it was around 5,000. Considerably less than the 12x.

wow, thank you for such a good review.
We will take your advices of the bad aspects to our producers and make improve for the future research.
Best regards,
service@lightscastle.com

I bought the 12 LED Supernight mentioned in post 14, except it is the Amazon Prime listed black version. I also bought the three pack of Supernight unprotected 26650 batteries that Supernight lists on Amazon as suitable for their high current draw lights.

The light died after less than 5 minutes of operation so is being returned to Amazon for a refund. Not the tail switch as I checked it with my ohm meter. I also noted that the battery tube length on mine is more suited to protected cells than unprotected. The three unprotected 26650 batteries are each 65.6mm long and with them installed the springs in the head and tail are barely compressed at all. A moderate vertical shake caused mode change due to battery contact loss.

Bright while it lasted but not sure it was putting out 7000 Lumens.

That is absolutely beautiful. Thanks to your review I will end up getting one of these.

I thank you, but my wife hates you. :slight_smile:

How fast is the PWM on lower modes?

..and about protected cells: You said they didn't work as the protection tripped. Am I correct reading that as: You didn't have problems fitting them in?

The high output lights such as this one are reaching the point where they cannot operate on protected batteries due to the high current drains involved to reach the outputs these lights do. You do not want to run the batteries down too low or let the light get too hot as I did not see any mention of either thermal protection or under voltage protection. In other words not for the novice lithium ion battery user. You also want to use it with high quality and high current rated unprotected batteries with minimal internal resistance for maximum output. After all the Lithium Ion batteries used in things like the Tesla car are unprotected cells I believe as are the batteries in most computer and tool power packs.

If that makes you nervous lights like most RMM modified ones have under voltage protection added plus turbo timers to limit heat build up. I would expect most battery shorting instances are due to improper use or the use of junk batteries made with inferior materials. I will no longer use UltraFire batteries for that reason in addition to their crappy current capability except in relatively low current draw single cell lights.

Yep they fit but it tripped the protection. I don’t remember how bad the PWM was and I already sold them. I don’t remember it being bad but then I don’t ever notice it anyway.

Totally agree, for a light like this one I would only suggest using either King Kong’s or the Sony High amp. Although as long as you know what you are doing and don’t care about the run time, then 18650 high amp batteries will work just fine.

I’ve had almost of my bad lights and batteries from Amazon, its really not the best place to buy for quality, the good thing is you can keep returning them till you get one that works…

The 15 LED modded light only had 5000 lumens?

Yeah, probably because it had more LEDs none of them were pushed very hard. Or perhaps it didn’t have the same good driver as the 12x.

RMM just finished modding a SupFire L1 five LED light for me. In fact I am waiting to get it back. This is a full on modification using the circuitry and tricks he developed for modifying the Supfire M6 including fitting copper Noctigon mounted LEDs, braiding the springs, driver changes etc. Per his sphere measurement it has ended up putting out 7,300 Lumens when run with Sony US18650VCT4 high current batteries. He indicated though that he found getting the LEDs aligned and the reflectors back on to be a PITA as there are 5 separate reflectors held between a front plate and the individual LEDs if I understand correctly. Sounds to me like he would need to make some fixturing if he ever decides to do them on a semi-production basis. Pretty spectacular though for a beer can sized light IMO. Makes the Nitecore TM26 look kind of puny.

Is this the same as this one?

New payment celebration , Buy 1 get 1 FREE, Buy more save more @MyLED.com

If so what other mods were done to it to get to 7300 Lumens? sounds like it could be a cheap mod choice

Nope, below is a link to an article on the L1 with photo

Full Review with lots of pics including disassembly ones: Supfire L1 from FarFarLED

After 84 days from the second order (as they shipped wrong torch first time) my LW-12L2 has arrived

Not had chance to use it yet as I have got the batteries in my Opus 3100 doing a charge test to see how good the Trustfire flame 26650’s are

It came in a brown cardboard box (undamaged) and was bubble wrapped inside, However upon inspection there is quite a bit of damage to the torch itself which I am guessing was there before shipping as box is ok

There are lots of marks in the body and a dent on the bar next to the last heatsink and marks both sides of the extension tube

No point in sending back as they didn’t want the old torch they sent in error back so I had to pay again for the LW-12L2 before they would ship it out then I had to sell the wrong torch |( |(
And that said as it took 84 days I emailed them chasing it up and they gave up replying to me, I would not recommend anyone using them (Lightscastle) unless you like long waits and bad customer care.

Some companys have no pride in what they sell, all they care about is getting your money, they could see when shipping that this had lots of damage they just could not care !!

Curious any one know what the throw is like on this beast?