Review: Sky Ray 3800 3 x XM-L

Confirmed - the 5-mode module I ordered July 10th mates snugly into the head and very closely to the vertical outer edge in the same area. I cleaned the head of all thermal compound, re-applied compound to the drop-in, and screwed the crown in completely. No added spacers needed at the top of the module. Never had any troubles with mine being loose or rattling.

Before:

After:

After:

Note: The thermal compound looks excessive in the picture, but really wasn't that much.

Still, at this point, I would likely be happier with that TrustFire screw-in module on MF.

Is the dropin actually seated on the bezel itself or pushed via the lens? Because, you know, chinese flashlight manufacturing not really known to be exact on their o-ring and glass thickness. Though I suppose then it becomes a fixable problem w/ buying a thicker lens if ever loosens.

Yes, the glass pushes the module down into the head.

Purchased the Trustfire TR-3T6, the 3-cell version (8.4-12.6V) with 1 more extension compared to the Sky Ray. Lets see what it can do.... Told Audrey to test it out first before sending to me (hope they really do that).... It says rated at 3A. Can see the threads on the drop in but can't confirm with pix of the internal sides of the head.

Not that I am a Manafont fanboy or what, i could not find this version at lightmall/lightake/DX/Kaidomain/Focalprice/cnqualitygoods, 3 aliexpress shops, numerous Ebay... So have to order from them and pay the $2 registered shipping.

KD has it: http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11426

That is not the model that i ordered. Wink

You think the extension will work on your skyray?

i have canceled my order for the sky ray, with the refunded i ordered the SKU: 8009 TrustFire TR-3T6 Triple XM-L T6 5-Modes Memory, its rated for 3 amp and you can run 3 x 18650,s for better run times and since ive been really happy with my trustfire-1200 i think its a better choice for me.

You are sharp, i have ordered that too.

Looks like LightMalls has it; but I can't see the threads in the pictures: Sku: M0143

Got mine from Lighttake - took almost 3 weeks to get to Australia. Not too good. Anyway - the thing is terrible. Everything works, but the output is around 100 lumens. It it not even as good as my $15 special.

I measured the current - I get

high 85 mA

med 55 mA

low 35mA.

This explains why the output is so low. Dunno why the current is so low though. I bought 2 new Ultrafire 4000mAH with the unit. They are fully charged. I also tried a set of Ultrafire 3800mAH batteries - same current. These are unprotected batteries.

I am assuming that I have a faulty unit, and will be contacting LightTake. I am wondering if there is anything I can test/do in the meantime?

The thing looks very well made. I do not really want to disassemble the head unit as I do not see what could be wrong there. I am just thinking that the regulator chip is faulty, so nothing much I can do.

Any ideas?

I hope you get it sorted out, sorry I can’t help with any real knowledge but I do know that the light wants good batteries. Seems like all those 3800mAH and 4000mAH batteries are not really good. Somebody who knows what they are talking about will be along soon. Good luck.

Try cleaning all contact (just assemble/disassemble sometimes works) and make sure resistance is normal through the connections.

There's no warranty on these lights. You're not buying from HP.

Have done that. I took the tailclip apart. That was not a problem. I cannot take the head apart as it all seems to be glued together. Probably for better thermal cooling. And don't want to void warranty in any case.

I use these batteries in a supposed 900 lumen Ultrafire 501b. They work just fine. The fact that only about 80mA is being drawn with different batteries seems to indicate that the regulator is stuffed. If it was the batteries, I would expect much more fluctuation. These were the batteries that were recommended with the unit by Lighttake, but I guess that does not mean much. In fact, with the 501b, I am drawing 2.2A (just measured it), so the batteries seem ok.

Got a quick response from Lighttake. But they obviously have trouble reading English! No surprises there, I guess. Amongst other silly questions, they actually asked me if the output was really all that important to me!

ie to paraphrase, "maybe you are happy getting 100 lumens out of a 3800 lumen torch"?

Seems a weird thing to ask. Did not have to think about the answer to that one too much, I have to say.

Sounds like it might have gotten knocked a round in shipping, or possibly a bad driver; maybe you can get them to swap it out for you, I wouldn't open it ethier, then they'll blame you for it.

I think I got the early version 5 mode light (rev0) and it's asembled like this

I couldn't remove the red part because I didn't want to use too much force. To me it seems just like rev2 but with glued red part while rev2 can be unscrewed.

I thought the red part is integral part of the alum structure (black), so I don't think can be physically removed. When you turn the screw out, only the reflector (gray) comes off.

Are you saying that the Ultrafire range of batteries are no good for this sort of high lumen torch? What would you recommend?

I use these batteries in my other 2 torches. One is around 300 lumens, the other 900 (that is quoted on the site, not actual). In the 900l torch, the Ultrafires supply around 2.2A with no problems.

I was thinking I could get a 7.2V DC power supply - one that is capable of supplying 10A, and try that. It would tell me if the batteries are ok or not. I can get a 12V battery charger that supplies that, but the 12V might be a bit high.

I was wondering how much the Skyray draws. The 18650s are in series, so I am assuming that on max, the 3 T6s draw around 3A x 3 or around 9 amps. For a 4000mAH battery, this gives a life of around 20 minutes. Does this sound about right? I suspect that the 20minutes might be a bit optimistic - I am guessing that heat will be the limiting factor, not battery life? I know that with my 900l torch, I doubt I could run it for 20 minutes at any one time. You could not hold it!