Review: Sky Ray 3800 3 x XM-L

IMRs (LiMn) are unprotected, and as such using unprotected cells you would have to be wary of deep discharges like under 3V. Do a google. They are safer chemistry which would not vent with flames or explode violently. But they are lower in capacity, though they do give you much more current without heating up. A 2 x 18500 setup will fit in the light without the extension. If you use Li Co batteries and use 18500 1800mAH, most probably you'd stress them too much and the light cuts out. Not very safe also with the lower capacity 18500s. With Li Co you'd need to use 18650s.

18 - diameter. 500 = length of cell. 2 x 18500 = 1000mm total length. 2 x 18650 = 1300mm total length. Your light has a short extension which you can unscrew out. Most people would be happy with 2 x 18650, but some really would prefer a shorter length and give up the run time. Power still would be the same. The choice is there for you to choose as per application.

I just bought one last week, and I was not lucky when I oppened mine, I think it had a cold solder spot inside, when I unscrew the headbulb assembly one wire get unsoldered!

So I found this forum with all the pictures; it was so close to help me out but unfortunately on the pictures (Dasfriek) I could not see clearly where the positive wire goes on the LED driver PCB.

One wire of the headbulb assembly goes to the PCB designation (L-) and the other one I do not know??? Could you send me a picture (closeup) of the area (spot) where I have to solder it back on the right spot???

Thank you so much

rmayrand659@yahoo.ca

Received mine today (I ordered mine when they had only one version, but I ended up with the drop in). Opened it up, inspected it while my 18650 flames charged and everything looked good. Put in the flames, and nothing happened. If I hit the head against my hand it will flicker and thats about it. It seems like the drop in is a little loose from side to side, but not up and down. I cleaned all the threads and the solder points looks fine. I contacted MF to see what they can do. If you guys have any ideas ill be happy to try.

Another one! I bought one DOA from Lightake. Was about to get one from Manafont (and probably the Trustfire this time, not the Skyray). But might hold off now - the failure rate seems too high! Mind you, you do not get the full picture from this forum, but it does seem like a torch doomed to the scrapheap of history judging by all the failures.

I am thinking it might be better getting off eBay - at least there you can usually get your money back with no qualms (in my experience, at least).

Anyway, let us know how you get on with Manafont. If they come to the party I might still get one from them.

Bro, the L- is correct. Draw a line dissecting the middle of the driver, the L- and the other wire goes there. To confirm , you locate that capacitor (mine's Rubycon)? It is just to the left of the cap, there is a blob of solder beside the leg of the transistor. I am not sure if the solder touches the transistor.

Other bros, you need to chime in, as my driver is toast. Now whacking around in DD.

It touches the transistor on mine. I even re-soldered it to get a better connection.

It touches the transistor on mine. I even re-soldered it to get a better connection.

That's still a lot more than 100m+ awesome!

Wow went on a 2 week holiday and i waited with ordering the seemingly amazing light but now I'm back the light seems to be a piece of **** for many people for who the light fails to work... I thought waiting would be a good choice for someone impatient like me but i guess this time i'd better ordered it early... Guess i'll wait until a new light like this appears with good first reviews/version (and maybe more than 3 xml's :p)

True, mine did not work - I bought the Skyray. I am now looking at the Trustfire version - and waiting to see if users have a better experience with that. I still want to get a working one, and have not given up yet. They seem to be selling the Trustfire more on Ebay as well - unless that is just a co-incidence. I am not totally sure that the Skyray is dead either. They have a 3 mode now, which seems like they may be listening to their users (who on earth wants an SOS mode?). The Skyray has now come out in 3 revisions, so it looks like they may possibly be trying to fix the problems. At least I am hopeful. Of course that does not make the many people who have received dud goods much happier. And of course you can never get the time back - a dud item takes months get resolved.

I sent some videos of my Skyray 3800 to Sandy last week. I have worked out that the thing is putting out about 90-100 lumens on high (85mA tailclip current). On medium and low, virtually nothing.

This is what Sandy from Lightake says in response

>>I have seen the 3 video and found the light is normal , though the medium and low is dim and it is night , the high light is bright , can you pls accept it ?

Even on Low, this torch should be putting out 1000 lumens or so. A HUGE amount of light. On high I just shone the torch around my small back yard. and the light barely illuminated my back fence 10 meters away. In the video I sent them you could not see the fence.at 10m. I could see the beam with the naked eye, but the camera adjusts it out. On Low, I could not use it to do anything - it is not much better than a candle (really). And Lightake thinks that this is normal! What can you say to that?

It is really frustrating. I have sent the tailclip current readings again, and explained to her what a XM-L T6 can put out, and what currents I should be expecting. ie 2.5A or more. I did this on the very first email I sent - I am guessing they do not understand these things - or simply do not read the emails. Or don't care.

Mine measures 2.89amp from tail. Is that ok? In comparison to my KD C8 XML, the Skyray blows it away. It has a brighter hotspot and spill, and the spill area is wider too.

You have me jealous!! Sounds pretty good to me. That should give you close to 3000 lumens, from what I can gather.

I have basically given up on the Skyray 3800 - I just ordered a Trustfire TR-3T6 Triple from Manafont as a replacement. Hopefully this time I will get a working torch!

Anyway, while I was there, I asked about a replacement drop-in for the Skyray. Manafont is up to Rev 2 on these things now. It seems they may have dropins available at some time. They are going to get back to me on that - but if that is the case, all of us with dead Skyrays might be able to resurrect them! Good news!

I ordered one too. Hopefully both of us will get working torches. The Trustfire looks a bit better heat sinking wise.

Good stuff! Mind you, I was thinking about what I would do with it when it arrives. I really cannot think of any use I could put a 3000 lumen torch to. I never do search and rescue, hunt for possums, guide light aircraft onto mountain landing strips or really anything else I could envisage needing such a torch for. My main use for a torch is replacing boards in a computer. I have a 700 lumen torch that is way too bright as it is. Talk about a waste of money! Still, I doubt that there is many of us here who could really say they NEEDED such a torch!

Good stuff! Mind you, I was thinking about what I would do with it when it arrives. I really cannot think of any use I could put a 3000 lumen torch to. I never do search and rescue, hunt for possums, guide light aircraft onto mountain landing strips or really anything else I could envisage needing such a torch for. My main use for a torch is replacing boards in a computer. I have a 700 lumen torch that is way too bright as it is. Talk about a waste of money! Still, I doubt that there is many of us here who could really say they NEEDED such a torch!

True, but is is fun to use.

The Trustfire TR-3T6 Triple is basically the same light as the sky ray output/throw/spill/... wise?

Its this light? http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/trustfire-tr3t6-triple-xml-t6-modes-led-flashlight-2x18650-p-7354 I guess the 3x18650 is just about the extension but the same light?

I really don't see why so many people are being put of from ordering the Sky Ray. Yes there have been a couple of reports of lights DOA and subsequent stories of poor customer service. But that is what happens with most lights ordered from china. The drop-in was also a dissapointing development, but even that one without any extra heatsinking only dropped 10% in 20 minutes, which really isnt a lot. With some added homemade heatsinking it should perform better too.

Further to that, we now are at a point where you can order a 3 mode only version and Rev 2 of the light and be sure not to get a drop-in. If ordered from manafont you will get decent customer service, although if it comes DOA shipping would be high and would take ages they agree to refund return postage costs if it is faulty. The incidence of failures seems very low for a light with so much attention and the amount who have bought one.

Also, remember that 2.9A is about 1600 lumen OTF not 3000. that is from an 8.4v (7.4v nominal but current will probably rise to around 3.15A by then) source being converted at probably around 75% efficiency to three 3v outputs. You're looking at 2.3A to each emitter, this is good though and will keep the efficiency high and heat down.

If you read the last posts in this thread they almost all are about failure so that makes me nervous as there is no way to see how many people recieved a working one, and how many a DOA. Indeed there is a 3 mode now but if i see the module/lens of the trustfire as a noob that i am it seems much more solidly build (one piece). Correct me if I'm wrong. And it offers a version which allow to use 3 batteries (and i suppose 2 if you want without the additional piece).