Review: Sky Ray 3800 3 x XM-L

Any numbers about run time in different modes? I'm planning to use trustfire flames as they seem to be quite reliable for cheap batteries.

Hello I've been on CPF for years, but my first post here :) I ordered this light a few days ago and it still says "processing" can somebody tell me how long it usually takes for manafont to actually send the order out? I know DX takes forever it seems, is manafont quicker in that regard?

Great forum here, lots of useful info.

Thanks!

Yeah, manafont is certainly quicker in general. It is normally less than 2 days before you get a 'dispatched' notice. For lights in high demand however sometimes they take a while longer if there is a stock shortage. Still it shouldn't be anywhere near as long a wait as DX.

That's good to hear, in my experience DX usually takes between 5-10 days just to dispatch, and then another 21 days for it to arrive....very frustrating to order from them. I've ordered from other places in HK and they can usually get the goods to me in the States in about 7 days w/o using EMS, so I'm hoping manafont being in HK will be the same when it dispatchs.

Thanks

It might not throw super far but it throws far enough that i can hang it out the window of my truck at 60 mph on a pitch black road shut my headlights off and see much better than I can with my high beams on.

Wow it's amazing.I want to try

Then you haven't been bit by the auto LED bug. Yet. ;)

I am honestly thinking about buying 2 of the triple XMLs that take 12 volts and making them into a set of driving lights for my motorcycle.

I just got the 3-mode today. This thing is a bargain. Its solid and with truly regulated output its a whole lotta light for the money. I was getting 2.6 amps at the beginning with Panasonic 2900 cells and then tried my A123 cells (3.2v) and it was getting 3.2 amps. Even with the A123 cells measly 1100mAh I got 19 minutes on high until the light shut off. (The beauty of those cells is that I charged them back up in 15minutes :) ). I'm not thrilled with the looks of this light (it definitely could be worse), but everything else about it is amazing.

i have the 3 mode and the five mode not the same the five mode is heavy good heat sink the 3 mode is a simple drop in does not even screw into the bezel great output but only for short bursts

Good to know I was going to sell my 5 mode to my buddy and get the 3 mode I guess I will get another 5 mode. The strobe really is a weapon anyways it's the only light I have that I feel it's justified to have a strobe on.

I didn’t even know how the 5 mode (or the 3 mode for that matter) was assembled, but I ran my 3-mode for 20 minutes on high and the head got hot quickly. I didn’t measure the output but there was no obvious visible difference from beginning to end. So I wouldn’t go writing the 3-mode off just yet.

Now that I see its a drop-in I'm thinking a transplant into a bored C Mag might do the trick for some hot 26650 on triple XM-L action!

I have been thinking of a LED worklight for my brothers tractor. All flood, that is.
Do you happen to have any links to such projects or anything to use as a guideline?
i quess most difficult will be finding decent cooling/housing for them, if not completely self manufactured.
Commercial LED worklights seem to be either with old emitters, bad beam/tint or quite expensive. Or all above…

I’d really like to do a C mag (I’ve bored them before and I’m willing to go through the trouble again) but I doubt there’s enough room in the head. I just hate all the wasted space in a D mag. I DO have a pair of KD 32600 and with the built in low voltage protection of the drop-in in this it might be a nice 2D build.

By the way, I ran the 3-mode again and use the luxmeter to see how the output is over time:

Setup: SkyRay 3xT6 3-mode tailstanding on the sink of my half bathroom. No extra cooling. Luxmeter reading ceiling bounce.

Cells: AW 2900

Time Lux
30 sec 327
1 min 325
2 min 323
3 min 320
5 min 317
7 min 313
10 min 312
12 min 314
15 min 306
17 min 301
20 min 295

The 3 mode doesn't screw in, but the 5 mode does? Anyone notice this?

Yeah, that's weird. They make seem like it's the same light on MF...

So they are really not the same?? I ask because I have it on order and it's not shipped yet, debating if I should cancel that one and get the 5 mode instead; but I want to be sure first.

Beam shots?

There was a set in Cycle magazine I can't find the link now but they are like these. i believe they are XPG triples for $200 so a couple triple xmls at $50 a piece modded to work will be a bargain the one that takes 3-4 18650s will work perfect with 12-14volts from an auto electrical system.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Anzo/018/881002/10002/-1?CT=999

im new to the forum and your rules and so on however i can assure you they are not the same you can just unscrew the bezel and remove the drop in , the 3 mode driver is great not like the 5 the five skips out of low gets confused with some flickering but the 3 is solid steps doing ceiling bouce both seem the same output i only use my torches for short bursts so prefer the 3 mode , when you look at the 3 mode it is very loose needs wrapping up in foil hardly any contact im new to posting pics but i will have the tk70 tomorrow and will post pics of all 4 3 x xml s if anyone is interested