Review: Sky Ray 3800 3 x XM-L

[/quote]

The 3 mode doesn't screw in, but the 5 mode does? Anyone notice this?

[/quote]

I just received mine today and I can confirm that it doesn't screw in. I am new to budget lights and drop-ins and hosts etc, but to my novice eye, there seems to be a lot of dead air space between the host and the drop-in. I am getting about 3A at the tailcap with TF flames.

I also received a 3 mode UltraFire drop-in and have a couple of SolarForce LT2 hosts that should be arriving in the next couple of days. It's time for me to do a crash course on heat syncing and get me some supplies.

Thanks for confirming, I think I'll just cancel the 3-mode then and order the 5-mode.

My 3 mode is now dead. I had it tailstanding and running on medium and it turned off. Open it up to smoke and both springs melted, so there was a short somewhere, the question is where and why.

Man, now I'm glad I bought early and didn't get lured in by the flashless (and heatsinkless) one.

I'm sorry to be picky... but I can't read this-no caps, no punctuation and run-on sentences. Please, all that this applies to-make it so us old farts can read!

Rich

I just order the 3 mode a few days ago.... Not good.

Pictures please I am very interested to see how it failed and I am very sorry for your loss.

I just asked MF through chat about the 3 mode being a drop in, and they said it was not. From what they say, the 5 and 3 mode are the same other than the modes. I guess ill see what I get...

Has no threading on the brezel end of the 'drop in'.

Come on, everybody knows that a strobe makes any light better. You can keep denying the goodness of the strobe but the evidence is mounting. Embrace the strobe dont fear it.

I don't think it should be different either. But the fact is that these podunk manufacturers change up their processes all the time. What we need is more people to verify how their 5 mode is attached, and for people getting newer lights to see if all the new one are just loose drop-in.

Looks bad. The 5-mode only drops about 2%, at worst 3% (measured from about 15 seconds turn on) under a 18 deg C breeze from the air-conditioner after 20 mins. I think you guys are doing lower in most countries at night. Mitro's reading shows 11% for the 3-mode.

Truth be told, I was prepared to spoil the 5-mode light by just using 2 pieces of rubber gloves and twisting the drop-in out. No go.... I think I'd need pliers or something to just hack it out.

I just took apart my early 5 mode and the "drop-in" part won't budge, even with a good yank or twist. So I took apart the back end of the head. The driver is pretty big and double stack, it says hx-201. Under the driver there's a big screw going forward so I assume that's how it's held together. Didn't try to unscrew it though.

I just checked my recent 5 mode (got it 4-5 days ago) and mine is just a drop-in.

Looks like they changed up the manufacturing, or went with cheaper source. Typical.

Well that sucks. So much for the popularity of this light if they are over heating...

Yup, I have seen similar LED-lights at sale in here. Round and square. IMO they had quite blue tint and not at all that bright...

I´m sure it would be a huge save to make these at home. Too bad I´m not that talented in DIY :D

Too bad also, that this 3x XM-L seems to be gone worse :|

I almost began to think getting one but slow as I am...

Hi guys my 5 mode

at the inside of the head battery end is a retaining ring which screws in to the head

the usual two pimple holes you use a pair of tweezers or long nose pliers / forceps to undo

pull the spring up which is attached to the driver and LED and heat sink are held in place with a back plate and screw

cheers Barrie

2100, or other owners, could you explain a bit further how your light is put together please? I'd guess the head unscrews from the body, and the bezel unscrews from the head. After that, you cannot remove the reflector & pill from the head?

And for you owners of the "drop-in" versions of this light, do you mean that the reflector & pill assembly is not screwed into ANYTHING, just like a p60 drop-in? There are no threads on the outer surface of the reflector?

My WF-500's "drop-in" screws into the bezel, right at the top edge of the reflector. Not the best heatsinking, but better than nothing.