Review: Small Sun ZY-C10-S Flood-to-Throw

I didn't try to determine the exact memory bleed-off time, but mine will start on High if it was left switched off for 4 min or longer.

Sooner that that it will be next mode.

Maybe all these differences in brightness on direct drive are mainly due to thickness of the wires and some other conducting components (quality of the switch?)

This Rusty Joe still wants to know what the back-in-time Rusty Joe wanted to know—how does this light compared (in throw and brightness) to the SAIK SA-9? :slight_smile:

My buddy has a light similar to the sa-9 and I have the C10 and i think it the C10 is a better light and is brighter. Definately throws farther and brighter at distance.

I put a 5 mode east92 driver in one of mine and that makes it direct drive on high which definately helped make it a brighter nicer light. Thanks to the member that donated the driver to me.

Good to know. Thanks!

Did you ever try this lens or do anything with the lens in the c10?

I know this is wayyy later, but it seems like there were some dangling mods regarding this ZY-C10 light - wondering what happened, or what was the final status of some of these mods. I just mod'ed one with an EZ900 R2, Nanjg @2.45A, added 4 copper discs in the pill, 22 gauge silver tinned teflon wiring, polished pill top and star, good grease, and measuring 71 kcd @ 4.3 meters now. Originally it was doing 27 kcd, but owner measured 40 kcd at a greater distance. Outside it looks like a brighter hot spot than my A60 and the A60 I measured at 81 kcd. I'm wondering if 4.3 meters is not long enough.

The driver I programmed at Hi-Low-battery check/beacon. Seems like a nice simple setup of modes for this light.

I don't know, I like this super tight beam, though you get the square emitter pattern - the A60 has a lot more spill, and this ZY-C10 is a smaller package.

Wanna mod another? I got a dead one here. lol

Stock it is between 56,000 and 61,200 lux I know from good sources. It’s no XM-L, but it throws better than anything I’ve personally handled. I think it was Ric who said he knew of nothing budget that would out-throw it.

Sure! Actually I'll be getting another EZ900 R2 coming soon from someone else, so could use it in your light. 56K-61K is darn good stock. I know some ZY-C10's were doing that stock, I've seen quoted, some far less. My mod'ed one may actually be higher than 71 - looks like I'm keeping it, previous owner just said it's mine .

Just ordered one to toy with. Hopefully improve the stock lux and test it on the new lux meter i have on the way.

Where did you get EZ900 R2s? I cant find any..^^

Mine was from LCK-LED, ordered 11/26/12, shipped 12/03/12. Doesn't mean that's what you would get today, but you could try asking them. I seen they dropped the price a little, from $4 to $3.65.

Get this - just got in 2 C10-S's from Manafont - one does 63 kcd stock with an EZ900 LED, in excellent condition too. The other does 50 kcd stock with an EZ1000, and has some nasty dings, exposing the bare aluminum in spots on the cooling fins/rings. What's the deal I'm thinking? Both are doing 1.4A. Of course I opened/tested the EZ900 first, expecting the same in the 2nd piece - this really sucks, but fortunately I got a couple of EZ900's laying around and will replace the LED in the 2nd one.

Hello flashaolics!
I am newbie to this ledlamp stuff, and looking for my first ever thrower flashlight(i have a p60), and came across this topic. Btw, i’m very interested in it, because i am a fond of those diy-modding stuff, and also don’t want to spend so much money on a single light, because i think it just doesn’t worth, rather buying one cheapo, and modifying :slight_smile:
My question is that is it a true thrower? I mean can I reach that 600+ meters with mods as stated at the onestopthrowshop? I’ve seen some pictures, but i even can’t imagine how far does it ‘throw’, or how big is that lit die picture.
So, do you think it is a good torch to start with, or if i want a real thrower continue searching? I’m going to order from DX.

Hi siletto and welcome! It's not a bad light to get into mod'ing with, but a more generic form factor like a P60 or C8 may be a better choice. For a thrower, something like a HD2010 is nice as well. In general, this light can be improved upon but to get in the neighborhood of the OSTS mod, you need to do some special things - change the emitter out to an XP-E2, or XP-G2, best mounted on a copper PCMCB (star), de-dome the emitter, etc. Also zoom lights usually require an effort to get the output to focus well by the vertical position of the LED, specially when you are changing to a different emitter type. Think I've gotten in the 70's in kcd or so, but stayed with a XRE R2 emitter. Generally, zoomies are more involved to mod.

Hi! Thanks for reply :slight_smile:
As i mentioned, i have a factory 501b for generic lighting, a “B6” xmlt6 zoomie coming from ebay, i just want a mod-friendly budget thrower, and i saw that as the best option. As for emitter swap, i don’t think this is a big problem for me, i have some soldering skills, even a complete new pill of pure copper seems doable, 38mm glass lens are readily available from KD, i have quality batteries, o-rings, i just want to make sure if it is the right lamp to try getting the longest throw out of it.

PS. : This hobby is highly addictive :smiley:

Well, it will have a tight beam. I get more amps out of it by swapping out the driver for a Nanjg. Another low cost thrower is the Jacob A60 from dx.com or AuraBuy.com. Or a better zoomie is the UniqueFire UF T20 - this one I've gotten up to 135 kcd or so with a de-domed XP-G2.

This! If you want a zoomer to mod go with the UF-T20. Much better than the ZY-C10-S and easier to mod. From what I understand, the T20 can take a C8 pill making for lots of mod options. The lens is bigger than the ZY-C10 lens and that makes the biggest difference.

well, i am starting to be gimpled up, there’s so much good flashlights. The jacob seems pretty, the Uf more, but it is at the upper limit of my interests. I have my last questions because this is quite an OFF here.
The Jacob is very nice, but will it throw as far as the asphericals? Or do t20 with bigger emitter-bigger lens have tighter beam than this c10, if i know well, even with lens you can’t focus light to an infinite small dot.
So, i am very confused, idk what compromise should i make. Maybe you can help me.

All depends on several things, what's best. To me, aspherics have serious limits in throw that can't compete with large reflector lights -- just well proven. Take a HD2010, Small Sun T08, Small Sun T13, others in that basic size and they will blow away any budget level aspheric. A de-domed XM-L2 or XP-G2 in a UF T20 will do well, but not as good, but it's in a nice small package. However, a C8 of about the same size can do up to 100 kcd when fully mod'ed de-domed. Didn't really try XM-L2's or XP-G2's in a ZY-C10 because it's designed for a small emitter- maybe you can get it to focus, not sure, but it's also a cheaper quality host. You will find you are throwing a lot of money around on parts, so, another $10 for a better host isn't that bad at all.