Review: Small Sun ZY-C10-S Flood-to-Throw

@Jeansy: Too bad.. :D

Can anyone tell me the diameter of driver and star?

17MM

Dthrckt, no promises but I'll try and look into postage to the US, I'm off away working for a few days but maybe next week will be quite. If it's reasonable I'll send it FOC if you agree to just do a review of what you create on BLF?

sure I will!

my current one is inoperative. I drilled the pill and soldered in a 5/8 copper rod. its getting an xre r2...when they arrive in 2 (or more) weeks. stock driver, since it was already 1.7+ amps and I want disco mode in this one (boating).

when I get my hands on another it will get xm-l at ~3.5A.

Ok mate, looks like postage if I do it unregistered, is less than a fiver, tho the website for royal fail is clear as mud! PM me shipping address and I'll try to send it next week

sent!

Received mine today. 2mm of the imprint on the bezel are on the head, so you have to watch when screwing it on. O-ring between bezel and head, but it was too small, so they cut it (wtf?^^). Emitter is legit Cree, EZ1000 die. I think I'll mod it with my only EZ900, harvested from a cheap-o light. Dont know what bin, but I guess they are about the same.

Pill will be filled with tin. Well.. I still want to buy EZ900 emitters, tho I cant find any.

Interesting, mine has an EZ900 (if the visible copper layer is to be believed).

I recently bought this Q5 from Manafont and received an EZ900.

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/cree-q5-white-led-flashlight-emitter-p-9092

Can you measure how much it pulls?

1.37A with a Panasonic grey, unprotected.

Mine has no imprint on bezel/head, only on the tube (both sides). Got it from Manfont, I think.

Mine pulls about the same. Pretty poor for an XRE. I might put one of my other EZ1000 in then.. got one that goes up to 2.5A. Or a 2A EZ900..

I have two Jacob A60's (EZ1000) that would pull over 2A from a good battery, but I'm not really comfortable with that. So I use low quality batteries on these, to keep them from going past 1.75A.

Well, heatsinking on the A60 is pretty poor, but the Small Sun with its sliding head isn't any better IMO.

OT: Havent found any beamshot of the Jacob A60 yet..

T: Well, the pill is screwed in and I plan to fill it up.. guess that should result in pretty good heatsinking. Tho I might use one of the KD drivers to limit it to 1.8 or 2.1A..

OT: I trust ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS will take them and there will be a large collection to compare the A60 to.

The LED itself easily goes to 2.4A. The driver is (was) limiting. I swapped it to a KD V2 driver with 2 AMCs added. About 2.2A now with my EZ900 LED. Zoomed die image is about 1/4 of the "usual" X2000.

Pill was filled with tin, no heat issues so far.

The original driver is press-fit. Did you meet any mass contact problems with the replacement?

Yes and no. My driver didnt have the "fins" on the side that usually make contact.. but the new driver is a very tight press fit, too, so it wont fall out. Also I put 2 solder globs on the edge, also managing to let it "flow" over the aluminium. It even connected with the aluminium and makes pretty good contact so far. The hardest part was actually to solder the additional AMCs to the driver.. :D

Not beautiful, but working. :D

go to cvimellesgriot.com and search for part # LAG-38.0-34.5c.

quality aspheric lens 12mm thick, uncoated price is $22

not cheap but reliable quality

i have not used this lens myself

Just received my second one yesterday. This one from manafont.com

Stock it was puling 1A and giving 30kCd.

Modded it with a 6*7135 driver and is now giving a comfortable 2,1 A.

New lux reading is 59 - 61 kCd. Almost no thermal sag. Emitter is still original Q5.

Pretty happy with this 15 usd + 5 usd driver flashlight. Something like 3kCd lux per dollar :-)

Sweet!

Edit: Maybe I should mention that I only got a second one because they are so easy to do a driver swap with!

Pop old one out. Desolder emitter wires. Select modes on 6* amc7135 driver by soldering star. Solder emitter wires. Press fit driver by force. Easy peasy :-)

I want to see its beam against the SAIK SA-9, preferrably at a good distance. How much brighter is it? Will it always start off in the next mode?