Review SolarStorm SP03 3x XM-L2 U2 from SoonDeals beamshots on page 85 and 86

Not that I know of. I don’t think I will try at least not unless I can find a better driver for it. for now I’m just going to leave mine stock. With this driver it’s not going to be a super thrower even de-domed so I don’t want to lose any lumens or spill.

Well, the dedome was a success! And the throw went up a decent amount… try double! 367kcd! :open_mouth:
And the emitter is not focused or centered right yet. Donut hole out to 4 feet or so. I’m going to grind the reflector a bit to get the emitter further in. Should be able to get over 400kcd I’d say.
Spot is quite a bit smaller that with a dome, but stil useable at the distances this thing can reach now :wink:
Edit: Total lumens for this config is ~1550, so the increase in bin and dedome seem to have mostly balanced out. Spill is dim but useable up close, not distracting or blinding.
Edit2: Tint is neutral with a very slight green, only noticeable when side-by-side with another neutral emitter. Can’t wait till dark! :wink:

Wow! :open_mouth:

But is this the SP03 or the T90? :~

I think once it’s centered it should be close to 430-440kcd. My TN31 is able to get ~1450 lumens and 365kcd at 5.6A dedomed. The T90 reflector is slightly bigger, and it’s run at 7A too which should push it a bit further.

Sweet! Thanks for the update. I’m still working on trying to get rid of the donut hole on mine as well.

Nightbird95, that was the T90. I’m starting a new thread for the T90 now.
Edit: New thread here: Mod: UltraFire T90 (TF X6 Clone): Dedomed XM-L2 Emitter Swap = Throw Monster!

Oh! My bad. Thanx Relic. :8)

Anyone opened their SP03 as yet? What sort of heatsinking does it have? Thanks.

I were on the market for a Skyray Kung (4xXML2) for around $40 as I have been pleased with the output of my two SRKs. Then I saw Solarstorm Warrior that had a better UI and as far as I saw slightly better throw than a regular SRK. And now this light comes with much better throw but with a regulated circuit. It is also almost twice the price of a SRK.

I were waiting for a price drop on Solarforce S2200 as I were thinking this light would be the one with better throw yet have the lumens of a SRK. But it is still twice the price of a SP03 and more than three times of Warrior/Kung.

SP03 vs S2200, Warrior (3xXml2) from FF vs Kung (4xXml2) from KD, what do you say? Buy Kung or Warior for $40-50 and wait for a better driven SP03 or lower priced S2200, or is SP03 already much better for the price?

Ahem, must change my question. Would you still buy a regulated (=mildly driven) SP03 if you already had Solarstorm Warrior II and a 4xCree XML2 T6 Skyray King? They are already at the same price, one vs other two both.

Mine is still on the way and hasn’t been tested, but I’d say yes since JohnnyMac gave the Sp03 a tested rating of 74,000+ lux at one meter, which is more throw than the others by a long ways.

And the plus side of it being under-driven is less battery strain and cooler running with less (if any) dimming. This thing is said to manage its heat super well. I’ll let you know when it arrives!

In a PM, ILF said this is a better deal than the TK75 and is almost as bright, a bit brighter than at first thought (we shall see).

There is a FandyFire and a Solarstorm version on FT. Slightly different in specs, I’ve never fully trusted in Chinese specs, though. Any confirmed difference between these two?

I asked BIGWOOD to give us the down-low when he gets his Fandyfire version from DX. Says he hasn’t gotten it yet (and with DX, that is no surprise!) They should perform about the same, I’m guessing.

I think its merely a re-brand and everything is basically the same. Many of these Chinese branded flashlights come from the same OEM factory.

It is not as bright as the TK75 nor does it throw quite as well but it costs $78 shipped as opposed to over double that for the TK75. In my opinion for someone who wants a TK75 but can’t justify the price a SP03 will make you very happy. I like mine a lot. It has great throw as well as a very wide spill. It has a wider spill and better throw than my brothers U3 terminator and that is no slouch.

dude, I was wondering the same thing. A person can potentially buy TWO SRK or Warriors for the price of the beautiful and throwy SP03… I have a warrior in my cart now :confused: and still can’t figure out where to throw the money.

Got the fandyfire sp03 from DX. Arrived in well protected cardboard box. Quality is good, square threads, well lubricated, lanyard and spare O ring, all good so far.
I like the handle, the side button is easy to operate with my thumb, feels solid, no rattling batterys.
I like the throw of this, i had a XTAR S1 but sold it, and i can definatly say the SP03 throws further than the S1, not as much spill as the S1 but a better thrower.
Really like the size and shape of this light, good run time and does not get hot at all, so will be keeping this for a while, and possibly a driver mod later on if any one comes up with one.

Heh, funny you said that just like that :slight_smile:

I just bought a SRKung XML2 ver plus a Warrior while I were thinking of gettin a SP03. And if more friends praise SP03, maybe I can also get one of those too next month. Maybe they’ll come up with a newer version anyway then.

You made my night! But the wait will not be harder! :~