Review SolarStorm SP03 3x XM-L2 U2 from SoonDeals beamshots on page 85 and 86

Just take a night shot of the beam at a reasonable distance (maybe 150 yards) aimed at a car or trees (a practical target, in other words). And maybe another side-by-side one with a King to demonstrate the added throw at the same target. Heck, if my iphone camera can make the cut, then certainly yours would be great.

18sixfifty if you don’t want to do them, I can do some shots this weekend of the sp03 against some of our other power thrower/flooders such as TK75, Terminator, SRK , Kung, de-domed TN31 and modded BTU shocker. This is your thread bro so If you want to do them go for it. I don’t want to step on your toes.

The camera should have a manual mode where you can adjust apperature (f number) and shutter speed. Maybe you can put the light in low mode, take a pic in normal settings and use those settings as a reference for every other shot. Having a reference light such as a C8 to compare to would be good. If you don’t have a tripod, put the light on the floor or a box and use the self time to get shake free shots.

OK the first shot is a sky ray king, the second is a 6x U3 with 3amps per emitter, the third is the SP03. I'll post some more when I can talk my wife into going outside and taking on the bugs and heat.

Feel free to post anything at any time in any of my comment sections. It’s always cool to have better pics and of more lights.

those shots are good enough. thanks for those. looks to be a decent thrower, but not enough flood and lumens to make me purchase one.

These are the skyray king then SP03 and the T90 with XM-L2 U2 on copper at 7amps

Looks like you got it covered brother. Nice shots.

Thanks for these.

Thanks guys. I ended up having my wife use her apple I-pod thingy. It’s really only good for fairly close shots though. For instance on the second set of shots you can see past the trees to another set of trees that is across my back field. only the shot with the T90 shows any light but in real life you can see some light from the SRK, a lot of light from the SP03 and the hotspot from the T90. The first set of shots that came out the best is in a ceder grove where it is pitch black but it’s only 100 feet or so. I guess to get shots of anything distant I would need to set up a tripod and adjust shutter speed on my SLR.

This t90 is a ultrafire?

Yep it’s the one from wallbuys it’s been reviewed on here and that review is also posted on the Wallbuys site. It’s amazing how much it throws. With the SST-90 it’s not really even that great a thrower but with a De-domed XM-L2 U2 on copper and driven at 7 amps it’s a super thrower.

For the price is a great host for mod.

Do you know how many lumens this thing is produce @7A?

Sorry but I don’t know and it’s really difficult to guess, with the emitter being de-domed.

18650, I just remodded my T90 (was MT-G2) to an XM-L2 T6 1C with the dome still on it. I get 183kcd! Nice! I have an XM-L2 U2 1C that’s going in the gas tonight. :wink:
Very nice and easy mod. reflector centering is an issue, but I get that sorted soon enough.
Runs fine at 7A too, can run on high easily for a long time. :beer:
Edit: Just tested lumens OTF… ~1580 after 30 seconds. Crazy for an XM-L2 T6.

I can take some beamshots.

Hey I see you posted some beamshots.

:slight_smile:

I actually bought the T90 because I planned on putting a MT-G2 in it. Then I read your post on it and decided not to. Not because it looked bad but because you already did it and I thought I was going to be the first to try it. So I ended up selling a similar mod I did to an X7/T8 and turned the T90 into my main thrower instead. 1580 is crazy. Please let me know how many lumens and Kcd you get with the de-domed XM-L2 U2. Are you planning on drilling out the base of the reflector? It does help focus. I got the idea from a thread on the X7/T8 that someone else had modded.

Oh please do! You have the perfect area for it! And if you wanna do side-by-side pics next to the TK75, I certainly won’t hate you.

I’m either going to mod the reflector or put the emitter on a pillar like comfychair did. Probably the pillar thing, as I don’t think there’s enough material on the bottom of the reflector to get down low enough. I’ll keep you posted (probably a new mod thread, it deserves one).
Edit: the best part for new buyers; no driver mod. The stock 7A drive current is perfect with a DCB star.