Review SolarStorm SP03 3x XM-L2 U2 from SoonDeals beamshots on page 85 and 86

I had my wife use her I-pod thing. That worked. I have two decent cameras and they don’t. Go figure.

I want to know too :slight_smile:

1600lm is good enough, and it have a intense spill?

Well the XM-L2 U2 1C is taking a gasoline bath. :wink:
Franz, spill is useable, but not super bright. Spill will reduce even more after the dedome. I think it will be a pure thrower after a dedome.
The lumens surprised me. I think that will be the same or lower after I go from a T6 domed to a U2 dedomed. We’ll see tomorrow if I get time to put it back together.

So loss of spill depends of form of reflector or it occurs with any light?

I dedomed a tr-168a and spill still very intense.

Definitely depends of the reflector. Width and depth of the reflector along with area of the emitter all play a factor. If you want the most spill on the T-90 stick with the SST-90, you will get less spill with the SST-90 dedomed but not much more throw though. then it goes down from there. Less with a XML less more if you de-dome it, You could run it at 5 amps with a XP-G2 on copper and get even less spill and dedomed you might get more throw but you would lose a lot of lumens total over the XM-L2. So the larger and deeper the reflector the tighter the beam same for the size of the emitter with less area you get a tighter beam given the same reflector.

Has someone tried dedoming the SP03 yet? I’m contemplating on getting this after the BTU Shocker.

XPG2 can handle 5A?

I’ll try tomorrow swap the sst-50 of my new tf st-50, the current is around 4,6A and I think it will a killer thrower :weary:

It has to be on direct copper, it will pop a XP-G2 on aluminum faster than you can turn it off. Also the thermal pathway has to be really good. The star and the pill have to be very flat and the thermal paste or glue has to be applied very uniformly and very thin. any air will act as an insulator so that heat can built up. I put an XP-G2 on copper in an SST-50 host and it really would throw but it throws less lumens and a very pinpoint beam if you get it centered perfectly you get an amazing thrower.

Not that I know of. I don’t think I will try at least not unless I can find a better driver for it. for now I’m just going to leave mine stock. With this driver it’s not going to be a super thrower even de-domed so I don’t want to lose any lumens or spill.

Well, the dedome was a success! And the throw went up a decent amount… try double! 367kcd! :open_mouth:
And the emitter is not focused or centered right yet. Donut hole out to 4 feet or so. I’m going to grind the reflector a bit to get the emitter further in. Should be able to get over 400kcd I’d say.
Spot is quite a bit smaller that with a dome, but stil useable at the distances this thing can reach now :wink:
Edit: Total lumens for this config is ~1550, so the increase in bin and dedome seem to have mostly balanced out. Spill is dim but useable up close, not distracting or blinding.
Edit2: Tint is neutral with a very slight green, only noticeable when side-by-side with another neutral emitter. Can’t wait till dark! :wink:

Wow! :open_mouth:

But is this the SP03 or the T90? :~

I think once it’s centered it should be close to 430-440kcd. My TN31 is able to get ~1450 lumens and 365kcd at 5.6A dedomed. The T90 reflector is slightly bigger, and it’s run at 7A too which should push it a bit further.

Sweet! Thanks for the update. I’m still working on trying to get rid of the donut hole on mine as well.

Nightbird95, that was the T90. I’m starting a new thread for the T90 now.
Edit: New thread here: Mod: UltraFire T90 (TF X6 Clone): Dedomed XM-L2 Emitter Swap = Throw Monster!

Oh! My bad. Thanx Relic. :8)

Anyone opened their SP03 as yet? What sort of heatsinking does it have? Thanks.

I were on the market for a Skyray Kung (4xXML2) for around $40 as I have been pleased with the output of my two SRKs. Then I saw Solarstorm Warrior that had a better UI and as far as I saw slightly better throw than a regular SRK. And now this light comes with much better throw but with a regulated circuit. It is also almost twice the price of a SRK.

I were waiting for a price drop on Solarforce S2200 as I were thinking this light would be the one with better throw yet have the lumens of a SRK. But it is still twice the price of a SP03 and more than three times of Warrior/Kung.

SP03 vs S2200, Warrior (3xXml2) from FF vs Kung (4xXml2) from KD, what do you say? Buy Kung or Warior for $40-50 and wait for a better driven SP03 or lower priced S2200, or is SP03 already much better for the price?

Ahem, must change my question. Would you still buy a regulated (=mildly driven) SP03 if you already had Solarstorm Warrior II and a 4xCree XML2 T6 Skyray King? They are already at the same price, one vs other two both.

Mine is still on the way and hasn’t been tested, but I’d say yes since JohnnyMac gave the Sp03 a tested rating of 74,000+ lux at one meter, which is more throw than the others by a long ways.

And the plus side of it being under-driven is less battery strain and cooler running with less (if any) dimming. This thing is said to manage its heat super well. I’ll let you know when it arrives!

In a PM, ILF said this is a better deal than the TK75 and is almost as bright, a bit brighter than at first thought (we shall see).