Review: SysMax/NiteCore Intellicharger i4 V2 Charger

What i dont like about this charger, is that it takes 11 horus to fully charge 4 batteries. Thats a long waite to get to use the batteries again.
Another thing, if i did not misunderstand what tricklecharge is, is that this charger does not have it. You cant leave the batteries in the charger and keep it charged. I did not get if this charger turns off or keep charging when the battery is full, but i hope it turns off. Or else we could have a problem leaving the batteries in the charger without keeping an eye on it.

Great review and test by the way! :smiley: It really helps us newbies choosing the right charger for us :smiley:

i received my 2nd copy of i4 v2 and did sufficient testing. i am impressed and amazed by how well these chargers work. with my 108$ dmm i measured that the charger terminates:

copy a (DD):

18650, 14500 -> between 4.194 .. 4.200V

HQ-10440 -> 4.196V (grey Ultrafire protected)

LQ-10440 -> 4.150V (blue Ultrafire unprotected)

Eneloop AA, Eneloop AAA -> ~1.4645 .. 1.4687V, i.e. in the upper half between 1.4600 and 1.4700V

copy b (FT):

18650, 14500 -> between 4.203 .. 4.211V

HQ-10440 (grey Ultrafire protected) -> 4.201V

LQ-10440 (blue Ultrafire unprotected) -> 4.169V

Eneloop AA, Eneloop AAA -> ~1.4710 .. 1.4735V, i.e. in the middle between 1.4700 and 1.4750V

None of the slots do overcharging after repeated re-insertions (except for Eneloops), all slots recognize 4.200V+ cells instantly as full. Full Eneloops are recognized as full too, but it takes a couple of seconds for the recognition. During the recognition period of several seconds the i4 would, naturally, pump in added charge. This way it is possible to intentionally overcharge Eneloops, say up to 1.5300V, by reinserting a full Eneloop cell over and over again.

With Liion's this aint possible because each slot would recognize a full liion cell as full right away and the charging would stop.

I also enjoy charging 10440's with the i4. One half depleted Eneloop AA or 18650 in slot#1, and one empty 10440 in slot#3. After a short 45-55mins the 10440 is fully charged, what a satisfactory feeling!!

All i can say is, these are beautifully performing chargers!!

I love both mine.

The 2nd one I got from Wallbuys for $12.

I'm gonna call BS on this one, both my I4 and my I2 do not have serial numbers imprinted on the back. I bought both of them from what I consider to be fairly reputable dealers. (BugoutgerUSA and HKE)

I received a i2 (the 2 bay version) from manafont and it has serial number in the back and in the box (and they do match)

I think that is true, no serial number = fake

I have the Sysmax/Nitecore Intellicharger i4 and yes, this one has a number on the unit and on the box.
Can’t remember where it came from.

I bought it from DinoDirect during the August 2012 BLF group buy.

The number is 13 digits, very small and is also on a barcode on a silver sticker on the box base. The sticker has a spelling error - “Nitecore Intellicharge i4”.

Mines the same: box’s serial number matches imprint on rear of charger’s housing for an I2

Without casing imprint could be 1) old stock (old protocol) or 2) counterfeit (would counterfeiter go through the trouble of matching numbers?)

EDIT: 3) maybe authentic but produced for the “discount” market (sorta’ like “gray goods”?)

The two Intellicharger i4 v2 that I received from Wallbuys during their 50% off promotion does have serial numbers on the back that matches the serial number stickers on the box.

Yes, as flash.light said… perhaps the firsts versions (batches) didn´t had serial.

Still we dont have the correct “answer” to the problem…

I bought both of my i4 V2 from DD group buy, both of them have serial numbers on chargers and they are the same as those on barcode of packaging.

Well, AFAIK i4 charge AAs at 700mA, enough to charge an empty AAA in ~1:15. But that charger doesn’t have temp control, neither -dV termination. I wouldn’t recommend it for AAAs or old batts. A 1.5V cut-off works great with relatively new LSD batts (i.e. Eneloops)

I just received my charger purchased through Amazon from Bravo Tac and was concerned as it did not have a serial number on the box or the charger. I emailed Sysmax explaining my concern and this was their reply:

Hello Sir,

Thank you for your email. Exactly not all our charger has a serial number on it. Just the charger for China market has the number, in case there are some counterfeit existing.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Service Center

SYSMAX Industry Co., Ltd.
Add: Rm1407-08, Glorious Tower, 850 East Dongfeng Road, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510600 China
Tel: +86 20 8386 2000
Fax: +86 20 8388 2723
Web: www.nitecore.com ;

2013-03-18*

Hopefully this puts the issue to rest.

I did a small test with this charger tonight. I have noticed that when the third light starts blinking on this charger, it takes quite a while to finish charging the batteries before they are at full charge. I pulled the batteries off the charger as soon as the last light starts blinking. I tested the voltage of the batteries and found them at 4.15 volts. Not aot of charge left to go into the batteries if removed at this time. Cuts over an hour off the charging time for just .04 or .05 volts.

I Have read about charging bay 1,3 together and 2,4 together. Which brings up my question. I have 2 lights powered by 18650 3400 Panasonic protected. One takes a single battery the other takes 3 batteries. Does that mean it wouldnt be recommended to charge an odd number off batteries on this charger? I have only charged them once thus far and charged all 4 at once. But when they get charged a second time will not likely be all 4 at once or atleast they wont be drained to the same degree when they get put on the charger.

There is no problem charging a odd number of batteries, but they will not finish at the same time. The ones with the shared charging circuit will take nearly twice as long to charge.

Ok good. I am new to these batteries (18650 Panasonic 3400 protected) and decided to buy the best ones i could afford i just don’t wanna chance ruining my investment… thanks for quick reply.

I just own this charger for a while. when I charged four protected 18650 TF Flame 2400 mAH at once with different remaining voltage (some is 3.9x, some is 4.0x), at first the indicator progress is not the same but at the end it all terminate at the exact same moment. and if I keep it on the charger for 30mnt - 1 hour after full, it will reach 4.25v. I thought it just a momentary voltage, at the next day some went down a bit to 4.17-4.18, the other two just reached 4.13 and 4.15. that's weird, i never encounter this things with TF TR001 charger with the same cell (although 2 cell charged at a time) :D

I haven't tried with protected panasonic cell.

Is this normal?

It is a bit strange that all terminates at the same time.

When you remove the batteries from the charger, the voltage will drop for the next few hors, how much depends on a couple of factors like cell age and quality, but also on how the charger terminates the charge.

The TR001 is not a good charger to compare to, it never stops charging.

yes, the termination timing is the one that make me curious. whether something wring the charger or it’s just the cell. will update later on with different cell.
anyway when using TR001, all I did was predict the charging time and measure the voltage when it’s about to due…