Review: Tank007 E09 3-mode 1x AAA/10440

I did it at forolinternas ( http://www.forolinternas.com/viewtopic.php?p=26031#p26031 ).

I measured the current draw on a itp A3 with R5 and another itp A3 but with Q5, both with NiMh and 10440

The results were:

R5 NiMh Low 0,09A ----- Q5 NiMh Low 0,08A
R5 NiMh Med 0,35A ----- Q5 NiMh Med 0,28A
R5 NiMh High 0,85A ----- Q5 NiMh High 0,9A

R5 10440 Low 0,06A ----- Q5 10440 Low 0,07A
R5 10440 Med 0,24A ----- Q5 10440 Med 0,33A
R5 10440 High 1,12A ----- Q5 10440 High 1,13A

Hi, well, now i own an expensive DMM too but the leads are a little too thick to immerse into the small head of my AAA lights (here a demo pic by HKJ with a larger head):

So what would be the best way to get ~accurate readings. Should i use an unfolded copper staple (as short as possible) or mini round magnets (which i dont have)?

I do have a copper staple to bridge the connection but i am not so sure about the accuracy of the reading then. Maybe anyone with a photo taken from the setup?

I use test leads with alligator clips, and a paperclip or a piece of solid copper wire to make contact in the flashight head.

If you do't have alligator clips, just hold a paperclip or solid wire against the + probe of the multimeter to make contact in the E09.

Great photo, thanks a million for your efforts!! I will try to reproduce your measurements with the copper paperclip i have (and no, i dont have alligator clips. i should get some one day, maybe from Dinodirect hehe). the "+" probe of the DMM is the red cable afaik and plugged in the "V/Ω/Hz" plug of the DMM.

Nice copper wire you have there. Thick. It acts as extension of your "+" probe, i see. And it is contact with the "-" plate of the E09's PCB. good good.

Thanks again. Will do my best now..

EDIT: this seems to work for now:

I also need to recharge my AAA-sized cells (Protected 10440's, Unprotected 10440's, Eneloop AAA's).. argh.

keltex78 wrote: [quote=keltex78] I just received the Tank007 E09 and I aleady like this little light! I've been carrying the Super Bright 7-2 as my EDC pocket carry, but the E09 makes the 7-2 look huge! With the well-used AAA alkaline battery I have on hand, the E09 is unimpressive, but with a freshly-charged 10440, it's much more impressive. I can tell the throw will be less than with my DD-modded Tank007 TK-703, but for pocket carry, the beam is well suited for a general-purpose light. I have a fresh set of the Ultrafire Protected 10440s on the way from DX to use in this light.

My unit has a decent reflector and a well-centered emitter, but the inside of the assembly is rather dirty. The emmiter dome has a small bit of crud on it, and the inside of the lens is dirty, including either a small hair trapped under the glass, or a tiny scratch inside the lens. I can't tell for sure which it is. Based on comments here, I think I'll live with it the way it is rather than trying to disassemble the unit...

[/quote]

The current draw on High-mode is at least 1.6A and it increases up to 1.8A. Hehe. i've measured runtimes on the UltraFire Protected 10440's (you need 1 copper sealing washer as explained). On my units i dont see much of a difference between 10440's vs. Eneloop -- both are quite bright. If your beam pattern is okay (no severe corona artifacts) then congrats to the won lottery on the reflector! "rather dirty"?,.. heck yeah i had to clean 1 lens too and rearrange the lens o-ring. the dirt (hair, debris) may stem from the flaking insultation .. and you should NOT use the light with 10440's before having fixed the insulation issue (as explained) with some scotch tape, adhesive foil, and or TippEx white ink. 10440's is high power, high energy. If you create a short with 10440's, it can damage the driver or LED. Creating a short with Eneloops is harmless: the light would not turn on, that's all.

The problem (insulation) is clear and straight-forward. And it's not very difficult to fix (if you have scotch tape or adhesive foil). It *is* necessary if you want safe, worry-free 10440's operation. If you dont fix it, any bump (drop, hit, bang, slam) against the torch can destroy the remainder of the existing (original poor) insulation and then you got your short (with 10440's, ouch!).

you are warned.

Other than that, enjoy the little gem!!

raccoon city wrote: [quote=raccoon city] Yesterday I got my second Tank007 E09 from DinoDirect. [/quote]

Today i got my fourth Tank007 E09 copy from DinoDirect. quick comments: The tail looks different, not just a single bore but more like Fenix LD01's tail (and i will add pictures of it in my review). The 2 sealed parts of the head arent screwed on 100% flush, so it's easy to tell (with this specimen) that the head indeed consists of 2 extended parts. I've tried to unscrew the parts but my hand power failed here. Hopefully they improved the insulation layer so that i wont need to take the head apart ("unseal"). The beam profile is not too nice, as expected. This unit has a small starry hotspot with some frayed fringy corona artifacts. Minor corona asymmetricies may indicate an eccentric LED .. yet the LED looks very centric (although it isnt, obviously). The problem of the unclean and beautiless hotspot is due to the teeniness of the reflector .. and if you pay little money for this product how would you dare to complain? ( Thanks to DD's discounting system i paid (converted) 2.70$ for this sample as part of a 20$+ cart, tsss.. amazing. )

you get premium beam profile with premium tint when you pay premium price for premium brand flashlight products. The best of the best AAA keychain light *is* the Fenix LD01. The LD01 and E09 differ in size, dimensions and weight .. but believe me, in practice this doesnt matter. The E09 is super light(!) and really small .. and so is the LD01 (in practice). The LD01 is never on sale and the least you must pay is ~35$ shipped (ebay, ..). The E09's list price is 19.95$ but street price is more like 13$, and if you're an experienced DD customer then you can buy it for much less than that from them.

For a quick comparison of leading AAA keychain lights, check out the comparison table.

You'll see that the E09 has it all .. except for a beautiful hotspot/corona. As i said, it's my 4th copy already -- and i surely prefer 3 or 4 copies of the E09 (in case i need a gift for someone or in case something breaks after the Tank007 warranty period) instead of 1 expensive LD01. If the LD01 ever breaks on you (e.g. after the Fenix warranty period), how likely are you to replace it with a new LD01? Again 35 bucks? You sure??

Interesting "note" (and i cant confirm this info personally), CNqualitygoods lists the Tank E09 with XP-G R5 emitter. It's also interesting to note that they carry only this particular Tank007 product in their sales program (Why, wtf?), 13 bucks plus shipping. comment: XP-G R5 or not, this doesnt matter. The E09 is already bright. Very bright. (because of the current draw, minimum 1.6A!!!). XP-G R5 tend to be greenish, and i've got my share on greenish XP-G R5's. The purplish tint of the E09's XP-E R2 is nice and very welcome. It makes the light look brighter. And even with an XP-G R5, the main problem with the E09 is its beam beauty. And with a larger emitter (the dome of the XP-G R5 is bigger than the XP-E R2!) things do get worse if you have a teeny reflector (E09!) and a SMO reflector (E09!). So my personal advice is, go get the E09 for much less than the 13$ and you'll be a thankful happy camper and will never waste a thought on the lacking beam (i.e. hotspot + corona) beauty. Actually, only few AAA (or AA) flashlights do have a beautiful hotspot+corona. Very few.

The Lumintop Worms (great torches otherwise!!) are other examples with unsuccessful beam perfection. So you're in good company!

God save the Queen

thanks a lot for this ":o( I have (2) plain ole black ones showing up any day now. (hey, one could interchange heads and bodies!)

Hi saypat, i have added a little review section. There's a V2 version out, with different tail etc. Your copies will be the V2!!

Maybe we will see a V3 too with full support for Protected 10440's!

Hello Kreisler. I try to read everything but in case I missed your review section, could u please post a link? Thanks. I'm getting the V2? Tell me it's as least as good as the V1 ":o) I'll be happy to receive anything actually. Have u done a review on the V2 vs previous? Pics? Not pushing here, just curious. Hey, why not a silver, SS, Titanium, EO9?

patrick -

from my review, see OP:

there are also manufacturing tolerances involved. in my V2 sample i dont get the grey Ultrafire Protected 10440's to work with a single washer. i would have to use 2 washers (which works fine). V2 is 0.5mm shorter than my V1. i am asking Tank to produce longer bodies..

production engineer is informed and he confirmed that V3 (=the next production batch) will have longer bodies in order to host Protected Ultrafire 10440's (up to 48.0mm length). FYI, Procted TRUSTFIRE 10440's are about 46.5mm in length.

Tank007 Co. liked my idea :) and think that the official support of Protected 10440's will be another selling point of the product.

let me post some more pictures of the colored ones. yummy yummy, thanks!

They are doing this because it's a nationwide bestseller and are very happy with the sales. The colored ones are mostly targeted at the "local" customers but in the end it's a question of market demands.

Yep. got this same e-mail today from Tank. Nice promotion. Have some on order from Dino. Anyone know if they come with the key-ring and the metal tin?

thanks,

patrick

Hi Kreisler. Are you really 'inside' with Tank/Dino? My ship date was March 8th. In lieu of the couch, I'm expecting free batteries and diffuser.

"inside Dino" i found something which looks alike, sorry!

no, that picture appears to be right. In line with most of my orders anyway. I order protected 18650s, they send unprotected. I chat with them and they offer me an $8 gift card. I say OK. I order a yellow MP3 speaker, they send pink. I chat and they offer me an $8 gift card. Ok. On and on it goes. But now it stops, I'm tired of all the free stuff. I'll get my free EO9s and light my way to something new...

green lights and blue skies...

Dino has the Pink version now for sale! $15.39

Here are my numbers for the R5 version CNQG is now selling. The 10440 numbers are probably low as the 10440s I have that would work in this light have many, many cycles on them.

Light Battery
Tank007 E09 High Alkaline
Tank007 E09 Med Alkaline
Tank007 E09 Low Alkaline
Tank007 E09 High NiMH
Tank007 E09 Med NiMH
Tank007 E09 Low NiMH
Tank007 E09 High 10440
Tank007 E09 Med 10440
Tank007 E09 Low 10440

appreciate that Don, thanks. Is the difference in lumens on high (73) with Alkaline, vs 109 with a 10440, is that noticeable to the human eye? I believe Kreisler said the difference while running this light on an Eneloop vs a 10440 wasn't great. Just curious, thanks again. Of course I'm not going to be happy until I try it on a 10440

The difference between alkaline and 10440 on high is very clearly noticeable. But it gets warm with the 10440 - though not nearly as hot as my ITP A3 did. I'd not be keen to run a 10440 dry in such a tiny (and low mass) light

The difference between alkaline and NiMH is not noticeable though like most lights, the NiMH will give you more on high for longer.

I must get some decent 10440s - at least one of mine is around five years old and probably has negligible remaining capacity.

Wow, Don, you got your E09 off the PO on a Sat, nice and congrats!!

Thanks a million for your efforts with the extensive grid!! (i guess you're going to add the data to your Google Docs?)

So you can positively confirm that a Cree XP-G R5 is implanted in your unit? :D

i think that's great news! Soon we will have the longer body tubes (V3 production batch) and since swapping of parts is easily done without hardware tools, one could compile its own XP-G R5 torch with full support for Protected 10440's!

Don, how do you like the beam beauty, hotspot size (relative to iTP A3's hotspot size) and how would you describe the tint (on the 3 levels)? -- Are you happy with the beam altogether?

It's a fact then, (your) Tank E09 is brighter on High (Eneloop) than the iTP A3 (your Google Doc doesnt specify the Cree LED of your iTP A3).