Review TrustFire TR-3T6 Triple XM-L T6 5-Modes Memory LED Flashlight (3x18650)

It looks like you have the generic driver

Generic as in a clone? I got mine from Manafont when they first started selling them so I doubt it’s a clone. I plan on installing the resistor this evening. I did thinkabout installing just a 2nd switch as a temp shunt for full on turbo but where to put it is the problem.

Others might have a diffrent driver, i have not pulled mine apart yet so i dont know what driver i have as it was one one the early ones from manafont. Im still thinking if the mod is worth it

Here is an EBAY seller that has at least the 2 cell version, they say you (may) get the extra tube but I wouldn't count on it (I didn't get it)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item2c5efe0a6f&item=190572268143&nma=true&pt=US_Flashlights&rt=nc&si=xNiCY%252BTpEGogK2HytbyDYqwe7do%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

yallstore ships from the same New Jersey warehouse as TMart. USA buyers can get it in 4-6 days.

TMart has the 3 cell version for 42.00 and you will get it in 4-6 days

Thank you dchmoak and Benkie! Regards, -Bob- (KumaBear)

There is infomation in this thread about that seller selling fakes !

There is a whole thread about it here

There is a reason i sugest buying it from here even though it cost more, if you want one this is the one i would get.

TrustFire TR-3T6 Triple XM-L T6 5-Modes Memory LED Flashlight

I checked my 2 TR6's and neither seems to be fakes. The one on the left came from yallstore and the one on the right came from TMart. I do see I have a problem with the spring though.

Well, I did the mod and no big deal. I took the light apart days ago without measuring at the tailcap prior...duh! Finally soldered the resistor and reassembled just now and it only pulls 2.56 on either protected Flames or unprotected Panasonics. Visually on par with the King. No big deal, really, and no reason for everyone to not give it a go if you are so inclined.

With two or three batteries? My TR-3T6 pulls 2.6 with three batteries and 3.8 with two.

@ JohnnyMac: Yeah, if it does draw 2.56A from 2 x 18650’s then your new driver is providing ± 2.6A to each LED.

@ Altair: Does the driver throttle the current/power to the LEDs when it gets hot? Does the light ever shuts down because of heat on High?

@ Anyone: Is there any way to mod this driver to be only a 3-mode: Low-Medium-High?

Thnx

Your calculations are too optimistic, and do not take count of losses of cables, contacts and driver, (approximately 30% in total).
More realistically, and subtracting the losses we arrive at this result:
2,56 amps x 8,4 volts = 21,5 watt - 30%= 15,05 :3,3 volts = 4,56 amps :3 = 1,52 amps for each led.

No, the driver has no protection against overheating. My TR-3T6 never turned off, but I never used the Hi mode for a longer time, max 10 minutes.

hmm, newest resistor mod:

That was a weak clone driver, it melted down. So now the light is direct drive with 3x18650 and with a 2 state switch. 3.5A/led, over 2500 OTF lumen (initial), not bad.

that was the victim:

3 x xm-l u2 in the head, I don’t know that they are real or not (?):
the flashlight was $25

Sorry, I meant to say 2.56A from 3 x 18650 will provide 2.6A to each LED :8)

No need to apologize, no problem …. :slight_smile: It just to give the right information those interested …. My modded TR-3F6 absorbs 2.6 amps from 3x18650 (fully charged) and send to the leds 6.6 amps. After 2 minutes down to 6.2, which should leave a margin of safety if burning one led for the other two. As I said keep an eye on the heat; in the summer months, high mode should not be used for long periods.

Sorry for the delay in response, guys. Haven’t had easy access the last couple days.

My measurements are with 3 cells, not 2. I’ve been working with Rezolution over this via PM. His TR-3T6 is just like mine but stock. He is pulling 1.54A with 3 cells and a stock driver so there is definitely a difference after doing this mod. It’s just not an extremely dramatic bump but it does put the TR-3T6 squarely in the pack with the King and the DRY.

I have one of these lights and was not very impressed first time I went to try it…it would not light up, just flicker. Anyhoo I burned the driver in it it seems as I could smell burnt. Order a new head and it works, nice output but I’m sure it is nowhere near what they claim…still.

Now since I have a spare head where exactly should I buy parts/driver for it? This could be my first attempt at modding a light.

Ok, then the mod is fully managed and worked as on my TR-3T6. Cause of my bad English I do not understand if you’re satisfied with your job or if you are disappointed, sorry. It seems to me that the increase in brightness is great, give me some advice, thanks. If you also have evidence of how hot after 10 minutes in hi mode, and a measure of how absorbs at mid mode.
Thanks again for the help in experiment.

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/flashlight-component-triple-t6-cree-circuit-board-driver-p-7973?rp=522815

Is there somewhere a 3-mode version available? 3-mode with Low/Medium/High?