[Review] XTAR 1.5 V 4150 mWh AA batteries and L4 charger

I’ll keep the introduction short. Most of you should already know the benefits of LSD NiMH batteries (“Eneloop”) in comparison to alkaleaks. And you might also know, that some devices don’t like the lower voltage of NiMH batteries compared to full alkaline batteries. In this case special Li-ion batteries with integrated 1.5 V step-down converter might be an alternative.

Today I’d like to show you the “new” XTAR 1.5 V 4150 mWh AA batteries. I got them several weeks ago, but unfortunately the review got delayed by a horrible death in my family (my computer) and a Covid infection (me). The latter was cured, the new computer is still not performing like I want, so I wasn’t able to do all measurements as planned.

Batteries and charger were sent to me by XTAR for this review, without any obligations. Thank you very much!

This review is also available in German on my website: SammysHP Blog › XTAR 1,5 V 4150 mWh AA Akkus

XTAR 1,5 V AA batteries (blue)

They don’t have a real model number. The website calls them “XTAR 1.5V AA 4150mWh Battery”. I’ll call them “the blue 1.5 V AA batteries from XTAR”.

Its size is identical to a regular AA battery (50.5 mm long and 14.3 mm in diameter), with a weight of 19 g and thus only about 66% of a NiMH battery.

Their rated capacity is 4150 mWh. In comparison, LSD NiMH batteries have a capacity of around 2500 mWh. Due to losses in the conversion to 1.5 V the effective capacity will be smaller. In my measurements I got results in the range between 2739 and 3261 mWh depending on the discharge rate.

Here you can also see one of the nice features of the XTAR batteries: When the batteries are almost empty, they don’t suddenly shut off, but switch to a lower voltage of 1.1 V. This allows devices to detect that the battery is empty and show a warning.

Per specifications the batteries are rated for up to 2 A discharge current. In my test I have increased the current further up to 3.2 A when the voltage started to drop. On higher currents the battery got significantly warmer, thus I suggest to not exceed the manufacturer rating of 2 A.

As you can see the voltage has pretty significant noise, even under low load. This might interfere with sensitive devices like radio receivers. The small regulator (according to XTAR a synchronous buck converter running at 1.5 MHz) doesn’t provide enough filtering, probably due to its size.

For charging the XTAR AA batteries you’ll need a special “charger”. In quotes because it’s less a charger than a cradle to supply the batteries with 5 V. The actual charging controller is integrated in the batteries. They are charging at up to 450 mA, a good rate for batteries of this capacity.

A suitable charger is the XTAR L4, which I’ll show in the next section.

During charging an LED at the top of the batteries will blink in green. When the charging has finished, it will continuously light up in green.

XTAR L4 charger

This charger came together with the four batteries. It’s called “L4” and can not only charge special 1.5 V Li-ion batteries at 5 V, but also regular 1.2 V NiMH batteries.

It has four slots to charge four batteries simultaneously. They accept batteries of size AA and AAA. Each slot has its own red/green status indicator LED:

Color Meaning
Green: Standby / charging finished
Red: Charging
Red, slow blinking: Battery type detection or “0 V activation”
Red, fast blinking: "0 V activation failed“

I’m not really sure what this “0 V activation” means because NiMH batteries don’t have a protection circuit that could trip and these special 1.5 V Li-ion batteries have their own charging circuit and only need a constant 5 V supply.

To connect the power supply there is a USB-C port at the top of the device (5 V, 2 A).

A hole at the rear side allows easy removal of the batteries. The case is very sturdy and I wasn’t able to open it. This means that I don’t know what’s inside.

My original plan was to analyze the charging behavior and show you some measurements. Unfortunately my computer died just before I started with the measurements. So far I haven’t been able to setup my equipment with the new computer and this review is in the queue for so long that I don’t want to delay it any further. But I’ll try to update this post once I got all the data.

According to the official product page the charger will charge a regular 2500 mAh NiMH battery in six hours. This sounds like a low charging current which makes a -dV/dt termination unreliable.

Conclusion

For most situations regular low self-discharge NiMH batteries are the perfect choice. But sometimes you’ll need an alternative. The blue XTAR 1.5 V 4150 mAh AA batteries provide constant 1.5 V output for the most part of their runtime. At the end they’ll switch to 1.1 V to allow devices to give a low battery warning. These batteries make it possible for you to operate devices that are picky about their power supply and do not work well with the lower voltage of regular NiMH batteries. Also their capacity is higher than most NiMH batteries.
One disadvantage is their noisy output from the buck regulator, which can cause malfunction in sensitive devices. Their price is higher than most NiMH batteries, but justified if devices otherwise wouldn’t work at all.

The L4 charger is a compact charger for AA/AAA batteries with four slots. In addition to charging special 1.5 V batteries from various manufacturers, it also supports regular NiMH batteries. The USB-C port allows easy, portable operation. There are no settings – just insert the batteries and wait until the status indicator LED turns green. For charging only NiMH batteries I’d probably choose a more sophisticated charger, but nevertheless it’s great as a little travel charger.

You can get the batteries in XTAR’s official AliExpress shop.

2 Thanks

Thanks for the review.
One thing you don’t mention is their self discharge rate. Based on info from another thread here, it is pretty high. This means they are most suitable for a situation where you charge them up and use their full capacity quickly. Sort of like the non LSD NiMh cells.

Perhaps you could add the self discharge data when you finish some of the other measurements that you want to post. (Please).

I appreciate the noise measurements. I got a set of these specifically for a remote temperature/pressure/humidity sensor. It gets short runtime with NiMh cells because it doesn’t like it when the voltage gets low. Even though the cells still have plenty of useable capacity left.
I haven’t tried them yet in that unit due to the relatively high self discharge numbers. (the thing is a PIA to get to and about 5 tiny screws to change cells). But now I wonder if they might also interfere with the transmitter.

Now I am trying to figure out what a good use for them would be… I mean for the things that I personally power from batteries. So far, they are just sitting in a drawer.

2 AAs? Get a LFP cell + dummy cell. Pretty much flat 3.2V from out-of-the-charger 'til last-gasp.

That’s what I got in my Bayaga remote sensor.

These kinds of cells I stick into single-AA lights where output drops at 1.2V vs 1.5V.

The sensor is 4 AA. I thought about the LFP cells. I bought some AA size LFP cells and dummy cells. I could use two with two dummies. But that would be pushing the voltage. IIRC they come off the charger right at 3.4 volts. 6.8 V probably would not be good for the sensor.

The Xtar 1.5 V cells would be great in this application, if not for the self discharge issue. I am curious to know how close the numbers Xtar quoted are.

I figure something like a teevee remote, or wireless mouse, etc, would be fine, because a month or two lifespan won’t be too bad, and you’re always using it and would be able to tell immediately when it’d crap out, then quickly recharge them.

But a remote sensor that should go a year or more between changes… nah.

Those converters just poink-poink-poink occasional pulses to keep some nominal 1.5V on the output when there’s almost no load, so it’s still active in some sense. Also why I don’t use them in nearly-no-load doodads, but stuff that gets occasional exercise.

I’ve seen fresh alkaleaks as high as 1.68 and fresh energizer lithium up at 1.82, open-circuit voltage

Yeah, that is another thing. The l4 charger takes something over 2.5 hours to charge them.

The most I have seen on Energizer Lithium cells is right at 1.7 V. So that 4 would be close to two of the LFP cells . That is what I have been using in it. I would hate to fry the sensor. I am not sure I can replace it. The thing has been cruising along well for over 12 years.

I have a few devices where the manufacturer specifically says not to use the Energizer Lithium cells. I assume that this is due to the higher voltage.

Thank you for the review @SammysHP!
Sounds like quite a simple and portable charger. I’m thinking about buying one for my parents since it seems foolproof.

Are you still planning on analyzing the charging behavior? Haven’t seen anyone else do it for the L4, so it would interesting to see how well it works. The fact that the charging current is 0.5A max. makes me wonder if it manages to terminate correctly, especially when 0.5A is lower than 0.3C for many AA batteries. Have you noticed anything unusual when using the charger?

in case of such chargers Xtar usually claimed they do not use -dV only, but “0dV” too …

which in this case doesn’t mean (or shouldn’t mean …) the ultra-sensitive “Peak Voltage Detection”, but a sort of “time out”, if there is no -dV (because of too low current) and the voltage of the battery just doesn’t rise anymore when it’s fully charged …

so after a while the charger reacts and terminates the charging, instead of waiting for a -dV that will not occur anymore …

so chargers with such a “standard current” for all cases of 500 mA should be able to apply a “0dV” method in this sense, too, in addition to -dV …

here’s an Xtar advertising photo that mentions the 0dV method : Xtar L8

but I didn’t see a measurement of such chargers like HKJ did in the past, to have a look, if it indeed works in the described way …

Have a nice time here, jkaufmann!

Thanks for reminding me! So far I didn’t test it yet. Added it to my TODO list again. :blush:

Hello, Sven,

It’s a pleasure to meet you! I live in Brazil and own a company specializing in the commercialization of professional-grade rechargeable batteries in Brazil. Currently, I am an authorized reseller of FUJITSU’s Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. They are Japanese and have the same specifications as Eneloop.

In Brazil, there’s a significant lack of quality battery chargers. The most sold battery chargers in Brazil only charge batteries in pairs.

By coincidence, I have also acquired the following XTAR products to get to know them:

• Battery charger models: L8, BC4, VC4SL, and MC4S.
  • Batteries: only the XTAR 1.5 V 4150 mWh AA batteries.

The focus of my company is on selling Ni-MH type batteries, and we have sold over 100,000 rechargeable batteries of this type.

My concern about selling XTAR’s 1.5 V 4150 mWh A batteries in Brazil is that customers would need to invest in buying a new XTAR brand battery charger and the batteries at the same time. This is considering that a large part of the population already owns a battery charger at home for Ni-MH type batteries.

Another concern is the possibility of people purchasing only the XTAR 1.5v Lithium-Ion batteries and attempting to use them in Ni-MH type chargers. Unfortunately, many people dislike reading manuals and are still novices regarding rechargeable batteries.

Sven, I am looking for good Ni-MH type battery chargers to sell in Brazil. Based on your experience, I would be grateful if you could recommend the brand and models that you have found most satisfactory. I prefer battery chargers that have individual charging channels.

I would like recommendations for battery chargers for both professional and non-professional customers, as I will contact the manufacturers to purchase them. Have a great day!

I hope you have fun here, danielflemes!