Roche F12 Desert Yellow Mini 1-18650 Flashlight Show & Tell

I tried again to disassemble the F12 in hopes of adding some AS-5 to the pill threads, but I wasn't able to unscrew it. There was no question in my mind, at least I knew the pill is making good contact with the thin wall body.

I was able to remove the bezel, lens, reflector, O-ring, and plastic insert the reflector base sits in. The soldering for the wires to the star looked excellent from a properly heated solder tip, and under the star was the typical white silicone oozing slightly from around the perimeter. I was able to rinse the reflector to remove most of the fingerprint that was on it, and used my compressed air to dry it off.

I would advise anyone that purchases one of these, if you don't already have it, get yourself some thread lube from the retailer you get the light from, they all sell it. From that point on, if you need to get inside the light, it'll unscrew easily.

BetweenRides, tell me you still haven't received your F12 yet ??

Nope! Hope it comes tomorrow...

All my deliveries are to work, so nothing over the weekend. :~

Yeah be cool to see what your Lux meter gives. The F12 looks less bright than my XinTD C8 NW or my Intl-outdoor 2.8NW drop in, but this is prob due to the lovely flood beam the F12 puts out. Think I'm gonna have to buy another, it's an awesome light and two on the MTB will be great.

If I'm using my lux meter correctly, I got 166 lux. I do have another thread showing lux readings I noted from other lights I have that can be viewed here : https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/8400

If you see anything you're familar with, perhaps you'll know if I was accurate or not. When I get my JM07 Pro shortly, I'll be able to compare the lux reading Foy posted for his, to mine, and then I'll have a better idea if I'm correct or not.

Anyone have a uf-2100 that they can compare with this light? Is the f12 worth double?

Finally!!!! Came in today's mail at work. I even brought in my S-mini for comparison, thinking I could swap out the battery to test out, but my XTAR 2600 is too fat to fit, so that will have to wait until tonight. Beautiful color and flawless finish, just a pinch bigger than the S-mini with a bigger reflector. Threads are so dry they squeak.

My Roche Desert Yellow F12 from CNQG finally arrived today. Ordered 4/4, shipped 4/20. Well packed in the same Ultrafire box Richie got, with a lanyard and 3 spare o-rings. There's been a lot of debate on the color of this baby, so I picked out the closest match I could find on CNQG and IOS, the two sellers of this beauty:

Not really sand, not really gold, kind of in between, but very striking. As someone in an earlier post said: It feels dry or flat to the touch, really unlike any other in my burgeoning collection. One things certain: It's not going to slip out of your hand. Finish is absolutely flawless, not a nick or scratch to be found anywhere. Reflector is also very clean (no fingerprints) and lense appears to have an AR coating of some kind (at least to me: when held at an angle, there is a slight purplish sheen). Emitter is perfectly centered. Tailstands cleanly.

The threads were absolutely bone dry and creaked and squeeled like chalk on a blackboard, but a little lube fixed that and it does have square threads, which I find amazing on a $30 flashlight. Threads on both ends of the body tube are anodized, so it does tailcap lockout with just a slight twist off. Construction of all parts is very good and everything fits tight. Perhaps a little too tight...

As Richie noted, battery fit is an issue. So here's the lowdown - first the ones that fit:

Trustfire 3000mAh - fit just fine and the light functions fine.
Solarforce 2400mAh - tight fit and you have to be careful not to force it, but functions fine. I would not want to try changing these out in the dark, however. And I've heard the SF cells have a somewhat brittle wrapper, so I'll probably not be using them.

That's it - out of 8 brands I own. The six that don't fit:

AW 2600mAh - Cell fits until it gets to the label sticker.
Callie's Kustoms 3100mAh - no way in hell
Xtar 2600mAh - nope
Hi-Max 2600mAh - nada
Asucell 3000mAh - nyet
Ultrafire 3000mAh - bupkis

I am thankful I purchased 4 of the Trustfires a couple months back.

Modes: Flawless, just perfect for me. If I use this for cycling, the High and Medium settings are both useable for riding. Low is not too low, still useful for fixing a flat or seeing the area around the bike. Form is perfect for a helmet mounted light.

Beam: Very nice even flood, no rings or artifacts. Love the Cool White I selected.

Brightness: I think 600-650 lm is about right. Compared it to my N-Light ST50, pretty even match. ST50 pulled ahead slightly in Turbo (720 lm). Also compared favorably to Balcer BD-2 and Solarforce M6, but those have defined hotspots so not quite even. On medium, it appears brighter than my S-mini XM-L on high with it's annoying green tint. This thing starts warming up almost immediately on high, noticeable at 30 seconds and fairly warm at one minute. At two minutes it's getting hot. Medium is bright enough that I don't think I would be using high that much. For cycling, heat is usually not an issue with the airflow around the light.

Switch: Reverse clicky. The action on the switch is about the best I've ever felt. In keeping with the color of the F12, the switch action is Goldilocks: Not too tight, not too loose, but just right. 1/2 steps for mode change are just a slight tap.

Overall, I am impressed with the looks, fit and performance of the light. A real steal at $30 and a unique look like no other. Very glad I made this purchase.

Beam Shot Comparisons: Except for first group, all shots on High unless noted.

Roche F12 (L-R) Low, Medium, High

(L-R) F12 / Yezl Z-1

F12 / Solarforce L2P w/ Manafont 3-mode Drop-in

F12 / Balder BD-2

F12 / Solarforce M6

F12 / N-Light ST50 (High)

F12 / N-Light ST50 (Turbo)

F12 / Knight Rider P-Rocket

Hey BetweenRides, thanks for adding all this great info and comments. I'd say your estimate of OTF lumens is likely correct, and not in the 750 lumens range I originally estimated. Those quick taps on the switch make mode changing a real pleasure.

I'm also shocked your AW 2600's had issues fitting. Both of my AW's I have dated at 12/20/2010, and even with the dating system labels I put on them, they just slip right in. I suppose any variation in the manufacturing process or different batches of batteries, as in your case, simply may not work.

I also agree, this is an amazing deal at the price it's being sold at.

You're welcome, Richie and thanks for letting me add on to your review. Yeah it's a shame on the batteries in general. The AW fits until It get to the sticker and I don't want to force anything that might cause it to tear the wrap. I guess you could say use with caution with any cell until you've tested. I'm going to send Ric-CN a note about this - If they are being made to order, future production might be able to be tweaked a bit to solve for tube I.D. It will be interesting to see if the same problem is there with the F12 from IOS.

Updated Post #68 with Beam Shot Comparisons.

Great job on the photo comparision, not a quick process to assemble photos that precise. You really have to love that all-around great beam on the F12.

BTW...while using it on your bicycle and on HIGH mode, do you find it sheds heat quickly enough to keep the LED and driver at a healthy temperature?

It gets so hot I'm leery of using it strapped to my helmet in case it melts the plastic. But I've never had an issue with heat while cycling, as the 20 mph wind really helps with heat dissipation. Just have to remember to turn it down or off during stops.

When I did those heat test runs I used a tiny silent PC fan about a foot away, I'd guess it created less airflow than most cycling and it was steady at 30Dc. The problem is if you stop and forget as BR said or have to descend a technical rock garden where you need full but will be not moving too quick. Road riding I'm 99% sure it would never be an issue

Looks interesting. Does it have a forward or reverse clicky switch?

Reverse clicky and as I mentioned in my impressions post, very nice action and feel on the switch.

Thanks, I must have missed that.

This light is seriously beginning to grow on me. I just did some research about battery sizes and found out that diameters vary between 18.3 and 18.7 mm. The only 18650 I have is an XTAR 1800 mAh with a diameter of 18.3 mm, so that one should be ok I suppose.

Alright then folks, get your callipers out

Oh what the hell...

I just pulled the trigger on the IOS version in neutral white. You guys are my downfall

Steve, yellow or black? It will be nice to compare yours vs the CNQG version.

Desert yellow of course. It looks so gorgeous and refreshingly different.