SAiK SA-305 (parallel 3xAA) arrived from LT (very,very picture heavy)

No problem with that. He posted the pics in FL also and we share all our info.

I would say the Skyray throws further because of higher amps, better emitter, narrower reflector (at almost the same length) and perhaps more efficient driver, but the characteristics are very similar and both are good throwers... But I have not much experience with throwers... the Skyray is not mine but it had some tailswitch problems, but the owner told me he has fixed it. They are both nice lights, but the SAiK runs on NiMH and Alkas the Skyray only on 18650. If you need a thrower on standard cells get the SAiK and if you prefer 18650 throwers get the Skyray... I hope to win the MRV clone to compare both to a well-known and good thrower. The pic was taken with an angle while the lights had roughly the same distance from the wall ( 1- 1.5 m) the spill beam radius of the SAiK is larger than the one of the Skyray. Skyray was bought at buyincoins.

Are your sure about the hotspot size? The SAIK looks smaller in the photo above (ignoring the corona/artifact), but photos of saturated spots can be misleading. Much nicer tint on it, too. Do you have lightmeter to compare? I've found brightness very hard to eyeball.

That 50mm aspheric mode is very cool, just really annoying to have to grind the glass down without powertools. Maybe I can just glue it on like the smallsun c37 ghetto mod. I also wonder if the it's same lens from KD, since that's the one I have.

Yeah, that tint is much nicer on the SAiK. The Skyray is almost angry blue, but beam is nicer/has less artefacts... Cree-Rings are very visible on both. I like the medium on the SAiK for conserving battery... no PWM visible, but I can hear very silent humming noise if I hold my ear to the flashlight. I have no lightmeter, but I did a throwing test over ~300 meters (according to google maps) and the Skyray wins clearly. But according to the owner... the Skyray eats 18650 batteries for breakfast. The SAiK would be an impressive gift to non-flashaholics. I will double-check hotspot seizes later ... maybe even an outdoor beamshot is on the menu if I am able to run chkdk on my Canon.

If you stop down the photo to point where the hotspots don't saturate, you can get relative throw brightness.

I wonder if that skyray is direct drive. I don't remember anywhere near that current on mine.

BTW, if you don't win the MRV, it's well worth buying one. It's significantly nicer than these lights here.

Chinese current lottery.... I guess... after the readings from the TR-801 , I'm not surprised by anything....

Current draw on high is between 0-2A seems to be a good guess for every light with XR-E or XP-G, I wonder if I even should post current draws at all...Maybe they are all direct driven and only the internal resistance of the battery is key here...

I totally believe the reading of the Metex... the Skyray 1JC8 totally stomps the Skyray S-R5 (which is pulling something like 1050 mA on high)

I found this one on lightake. Can anymone of the owners verify if it would fit without modification? It would be nice not to have to sand/grind down the 50mm lens.

My SA-305 is still in the mail.

The cut-out for the lens is ~40.6 mm so it might work, but the top bezel part of my Saik seems glued.

BTW I suck at making beamshots... I tried... and failed miserably.

Welcome to BLF McGrath.

Hope you enjoy your stay here...

Aloha and welcome to BLF McGrath!

Odd how the mention of multiple AA flashlights resurrects old posts about them .

I think it's because we all have come from a multiple big battery era .

Most modern flashlights seemed eccessively small I first was introduced to them and some type of odd cigar holding finger flicking style of changing modes Just seemed weird and unnatural .Maybe if we are honest it still does . 3 or 4 AA lights are uncommon enough to keep us all thinking out of the box .Full of hope and possibilities ..i like the idea of common battery merged with newest emitter .Built right to me it's a very interesting idea .

Welcome to BLF McGrath

Hi Everyone, my first post here.

This seems like a very interesting flashlight to me for modding. It would make a nice light for 3xAA NiMH or a 32600. The bad is the plastic lens and reflector. Can anyone who owns this light to tell me what size is the reflector both in diameter and deepness? I might find something to replace that plastic reflector and the plastic lens. Or maybe there's the option to modify some reflector to fit this flashlight......

Thanks guys.

I have one of these coming from DX myself. However its getting converted into a 26650 445nm laser. Smile

This light (maybe at the sacrifice of quality) is for sale at tractor supply company in the US for $10 with junk batteries. Ampro branded.

Thanks for the info. We have one here about 2 miles away. I was just going to go there this past weekend to look around for "goodies" but I never made it. I just ordered mine from DX on monday too, go figure. I will have to check ours for these and pick a couple for future mods.

I just checked Tractor Supply today and didn't see this light. Saw something similar, but it was a "1 Watt" LED in center surrounded by 12 (I think) 5mm LED's with 2 modes (the 1 watt or the 12) and rated only 55 lumens max. This was Ampro brand and felt like junk! They had other "cheap" LED lights, but no other Ampro's. Oh well.

Garry

Don't forget to pick-up the much loved "chicken poop" chapstick, at Tractor Supply.

I sometimes pull it out at meetings, when I want to impress the suits.

All I see at Tractor Supply here are junk flashlights. No pot-o'-gold either.

Thought I was in another War of the Worlds sequel, when I gazed upon the tripod shot.

Just saw the Richuang 3xAA light on Dinodirect for $20. Looks identical to the Saik SA-305 which I've been thinking about getting for a while. It's pricier than the Saik at DX ($14.99), but I've got gift cards to use, so I might pick it up. I've seen some mod it with an XML. It would be nice alternative to lithium batteries.

I picked one up to mod but haven't got around to it. There are very few threads on the tailcap which seem to be quite brittle. I also lost the lens (it just fell out while I was testing it out and I couldn't find it again), but it needed a glass lens anyway. Overall I like the light and like the size, but I wouldn't pay more than $15 out of pocket for it (I bought from DX). You did see JohnnyMac's mod page on this, right? I plan on doing what he did for the pill/heatsink.

-Garry

Thanks Gary. Yes I did see his post I believe. And he is also selling an Ultrafire MCU-C88 which is a 3XAA light, but better quality than the Saik. I've always wanted one of those too.

Edit: It was ChicagoX selling it, and of course, it's already sold!