Selfbuilt's Mateminco SL02 EDC review

​Been a bit busy lately IRC, but here’s my latest review:

Mateminco SL02 EDC

The SL02 is a budget light that runs off a 18650 or 18350 battery (both included), using distinctive body tubes. Also includes auxillary RGB modes in the head and tailcap. Here is a sample runtime on 18350:

Light is certainly efficient, thanks to the direct-drive pattern (i.e., not voltage-regulated). Check out the full review for more details.

2 Thanks

Sounds pretty bad.

Yes, I can see why you would say that. Although I noticed some positive comments on another site after I posted the same review - everyone has different things they like/dislike (in that case, it was the RGB modes and distinctive optic that seem to garner enthusiasm).

I did struggle with a rating for this one, since I can see both sides. But personally, output levels and UI remain key features for me, and ones I would like addressed here.

Interesting. It has been a while since I heard from/about Mateminco. When @Lexel left (and thus stopped making their drivers), Mateminco kinda went off in a different direction too.

The lighted tailcap thing was developed by BLF members in the mid-2010s, like in this thread and a few others. If I recall correctly, the first commercial lights to use it were the BLF Kronos X6/X5, though that light had the simplest version of the tailcap. People made much fancier versions too, and I even made firmware for a RGB version once, but the practice fell out of style soon afterward when the community’s focus shifted from clicky-switch lights to e-switch lights.

About this particular light, SL02, it looks like it would be pretty comfortable to hold and to use, and the optic seems really interesting and pretty. The ~6 cd/lm beam seems practical indoors and short range outdoors. Includes long and short tubes. The lighted tail appears to be one of the better implementations I’ve seen, too… though my favorites are some which show battery status by how many LEDs are lit up in a ring around the button.

However, it also seems to have some pretty significant downsides…

• Really bad mode spacing – has only moon, high, and a little bit higher
  • +14 mduv tint is too green even for cool white
  • UI: Reversing one level requires rotating through all modes in a circle, but not too fast because that’ll activate strobe… and it has a disco mode in the main sequence. Has no option to turn off memory.
  • Has front RGB but it’s only used for fast random disco mode, not for anything with a useful function
  • Unregulated driver with direct-drive style output curve on all levels
  • Built-in charger behaves badly enough I’d classify it as broken (ish)
  • No physical or electronic lockout
  • The manufacturer’s candela / throw specs are wildly inaccurate

Personally, I’d pass on this one. I mostly just use ~5 to ~50 lumens, and the SL02 has no output modes in that range.

BTW, a minor formatting thing I noticed… the Manufacturer Specs table lists Emisar in the header.

1 Thank

Thanks for detailed comments and background Selene. I certainly can’t find fault with any of your points (as usual). :slight_smile:

And thanks for the formatting glitch catch, I’ve deleted the extra old row that snuck in.

It reminds me a lot of the lighted tail on Lumintop’s Thor 2 LEP. Which, on the Ti version, could not be turned off by “lockout” (the Al version could, due to anodized threads)