Shadow SL3 + RGB SST-90's + custom 4ch driver (new CC driver in post 101)!

Killer, are you taking a scaled approach? Conquer the RGB, iron out those kinks then add in the white emitter? Or just kick butt with the RGB? Either way you go, it’s nice watching you work this thing out. Keep it up!

Just RGB. The most recent driver he posted is for his Shadow SL3. It’s a triple emitter light, so he can’t fit a white. That’s why he talks about having a modified DrJones RGBW FW which uses all 3 color emitters simultaneously in place of the White LED.

Wight got it, the one working light (TK45 puke light) and this next in-the-works lights are both triple only but then I started working with tterev3 and saw what his UI can do and I knew I had to have one, I plan to eventually find a good side switch host for either an XML color or a quad optic and the 4ch driver (even if it means sizing it down to 17mm which I think I can manage) and have that UI in an EDC, the SL3 project is really just a toy.

Originally the plan was make 1 single 4ch driver that could do either the SL3 or something else with 4 emitters, one size fits all, but then I found the different FW’s (on totally different chips from different people) and space was very limited and the color SST’s can handle DD, none of the other color options can so I needed real regulation so I dropped that idea and made a few project specifies drivers (plus eagle is fun, like a puzzle).

One of the things I’m really hoping for is that supbeam will agree to sell me just some of the M6 (SRK style) buttons and button surrounds, they will sell me a lot of them but I only need a few, then I can head down to the machine shop and modify a tail-click light (another supfire, the A6) to have a side switch, that’s my real end goal with the 4ch driver, i have enough FW projects, I don’t even plan on attempting on writing my own code for either of them, just running meld on it cause its so awesome. Also while the whole A6 side switch thing is in the works (and since there’s plenty of room inside) I’m most likely gonna throw one into a SolarStorm T4 with individual color/a white emitter) to start playing with the FW while I wait on a suitable host.

When you get it down to 17mm in either RGB or RGBW, I have a host that I would like to try and adapt to take that driver. It’s a tail clicker with a momentary switch. $30 on Shenzhen but I think it might be a decent host for a light that is not driven hard.

What is it? My main desire right now is to find someone to modify a Supbeam A6 to have a side switch since it can take a quad then use RG and B XP-E2’s and a white XP-L. I’m probably going to get some time to do a 17mm version this weekend [hopefully anyway].

bit confused over here, the supfire A6 (I assume you refer to Supfire, not Supbeam) eats a 17mm driver, so that is the size you need to design for it anyway.

Do you need those HUGE switch vias, or do are they carrying current?

That is wicked cool though…gonna be one HECK of a powerhouse!

I don’t know how they come up with the names but the light I would like to rework is this Dipper It is not the prettiest light and I don’t know about that charging thing but it takes a 18650 and has a momentary switch. Worse case scenario it is a test bed for a more robust design.

The switch via’s are cause the switch mounts on the board but no current threw it.

I’m almost done with the 17mm version of the CC 4ch driver for MELD, it’ll be up in a couple hours! The one I’m doing now would be the one for the A6 (if it can be modified, otherwise any other 17mm driver side switch light) .

The SL3 driver is done and ordered.

Do I understand that this CC 4ch driver is for the side switch lights? Or the next one is for side switches? I apologize if this is obvious and I am slow. Very hot and very humid last night with no AC so I’m slower than usual. At any rate, great progress Killer!

These are all side switch drivers, to much function to work off just a tail click.
To cut down on the confusion I’m going to make a new thread for the 17 & 20 mm MELD UI drivers once I have the 17mm one finished up. I thought I could get it done last night but not quite, it will be up today.

Thx

Edit: Here are both 20 and 17mm versions of the MELD UI drivers!

Beware... those lights have the metal switch parts on the outside that look like they should be for a momentary switch, but there's a mini-clicky switch on the other side.

Dipper H33 stock driver:

I was thinking of this one-

So many of the lights that have a side switch also have a tail switch, that really bugs me.

ooh…what is that light? Interesting!

It’s that Dipper I linked in post #127. I suspect it’s going to be a bit flimsy and need some beefing up but I’m warming to using it as a test bed. I’ll have to order one but will have to wait a suitable length of time after I can get some overtime- you know how it is, some wives don’t see the $20 here $30 there as a useful application of funds.

Unless someone has actually disassembled one of those and verified otherwise, assume it's a standard mechanical clicky in there.

As long as the mechanics are there to press a button on the driver PCB, you could make a driver with a momentary switch on it without too much trouble. You’d be replacing the driver with a multi-channel one anyway, so it looks like that host could work for this application

I found it's easier to just add a momentary switch on top of the gutted clicky switch housing, instead of messing with re-using the stock switch converted to non-latching momentary.

The spacing works just perfect, so should work for any light using the same small clicky.

comfychair I think that’s exactly what ttrev3 was suggesting ;)- What am I saying? ! ?! What I meant to say was that I do not think ttrev3 was suggesting converting the switch from latching to momentary, but rather was pointing out that as long as the plunger was already present and the driver was getting a full-fledged replacement, there was no call for doing anything special - just place a through-hole momentary switch at the appropriate location on the new driver PCB and you’re done.

Yup…even when I sneak sub $10 purchases…she catches on quick :frowning:

Until that time you NEED the lights :stuck_out_tongue: