Shooting rats with IR/Night Vision.

I did some IR predator hunting. It wasn’t my gun or rig. But the guy had a stock Surefire M1. I was SHOCKED how well that thing works. It throws out some serious IR light. It helped turn night into day well with in .17 cal range.

Maybe it isn't helping - but that Ted’s Holdover was quite entertaining :-D To bad those precharged air-guns aren't legal here in DK :-/

And I think i found a solution for the camera housing. I ordered these two ABS plastic boxes:

51*36*20mm and 36*36*20mm

Now I just need to find some 1" ABS pipe to glue on to the enclosure.

I send an email to led-tech.de asking if their star was MCPCB or regular PCB. They answered, MCPCB - and then *poof* the star disappeared from their shop ... Crap!

- So I've been spending several hours searching for an alternative. Could just order from Mouser, but their shipping fee is insane.

Haven't been able to find anyone who sells both the LED and the star (to save some shipping fees).

Found these stars (might be a help for others searching):

Electronic and industrial components | SOS electronic shop (minimum 3 pcs)

Precharged air guns aren’t legal! Argh! That sucks :Sp

Anyone tried the newest Oslon Black IR led yet? A bit lower output (but more efficient) and 1.65V , but no double die with a hole in the middle, just one square die, nicer for an aspheric: SFH 4715A, at Digikey or RS-online.

My buddy has ordered some I believe, when he gets the host, star, and emitter in I will try to build him one…he also has NVG equipment to test it out, I personally don’t have any way to test the output with those low light/no light things.

I quoted a reply from nightvisionforumuk about the 4715A at post #33

I also thought the 4715A would be nice, but the radiant flux for the 4715S is 1030mW vs 800mW for the 4715A. That's 30% percent more from the 4715S.

But it would be nice to hear some hands-on experience.

Sorry, I obviously did not read through this thread thoroughly enough, this led has already been talked about.

I don't know about the rat-shooting thing, but if the aim is throwing a beam far ahead of you, this 4715A should be the best led, and even more so if you are using an aspheric light.

No need to be sorry :-) -there is a lot of small-talk in this thread.

didn't you mean the 4715S should be the best?

without hands-on experience with this led, for throw the 4715A looks to be the best, it looks like it has more output per die surface area, and is more efficient in general.

Digikey has the specs next to each other:

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/sfh-4715-and-sfh-4715s-series/24645

I might be a bit slow, but I'm really trying hard to understand the theory

When comparing the pdf's on

SFH 4715S and SFH 4715A

Where does it indicate that the 4715A would be a better thrower?

Isn't Radiant Intensity and Total radiant flux the best indicators?

It's not that i don't believe you (I often seek out your threads/answers in the forum), It's because I would like to understand the underlying theory/fact before making an informed decision.

There are 2 types of basic DIY DNV rigs: Add on (camera behind rifle scope), and scopeless rig (just camera and high quality lenses (75 - 100mm).

Add on rig if done properly can handle any kind of recoil. Rolaids version certainly can't but his video is amazing... Because of him whole world knows how to build diy dnv rigs :). Point of impact does not change and no zeroing of your rifle scope is not needed.

Price of build from 200$ - 500$ (depends on IR illuminator used). Usable distance more than 400 meters with HQ illuminator.

Scopless rig acts pretty much the same or even better than much expensive Digisight N770(750)... what is important here is to get lenses with lower F stop to gather more light. 75mm lenses (F1.2, F1.3, F1.4) are most recommendable. They give equivalent of 6x magnification(comparing to real scope). The lower f stop the more you will see at night.

In classic star night or moon light you don't need illuminator at all while with add on rig you need it all the time...

This rig is more complicated (well it will be easy done for recoil less pcp rifles, but special machining should be done for heavy hitting centerfires, and even then after some time recoil could crush main lenses which are expensive)

Usable distance 75mm F 1.3, star night (up to 250 meters without any illuminator), and more than 400m with HQ illuminator with much cleaner image than add on version.

Zerioing and making reticle for this setup is easy. POI should not change if fixed lenses used... If you use variable lenses eg. 25-100mm ones it could change...

Well this rig will cost from 300$ - 1000$ depends on used lenses. Use very low recoil rifles if you want that rig survive or last a while(.222, .223)

For throw, the total output is not the determining thing, but the output divided by the die surface area: how bright is your die? A small die can have less output than a big die but be brighter per surface area and therefore produce a brighter hotspot when mounted in a flashlight (although the hotspot will be smaller).

My guess is that the 4715A has a smaller die than the two 4715S-dies combined, so the somewhat lower output is compensated by a higher surface brightness of the die, resulting in more throw. Only thing that I don't know is what the actual die sizes are, it is just my guess.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks! :-)

Screw it! I'm going to order both the SFH 4715S and the SFH 4715A (turning into an expensive hobby ... )

As one of them is for my Ol' man I only have to pay for one of them. Might as well get some Bang for the buck paying Mousers ludicrous shipping fees ;-)

Will report back when both are assembled

Ordering ...

NOW!

Edit: On hold ... Because ... confused ... (click for large):

If you can order it through a company (your father's?), Oslons can be had cheaper at rs-online, in danish: http://dk.rs-online.com/web/

FYI.

PCP air rifles are legal in Denmark. They can only be 4,5mm or you need a hunting licence to buy them.

They are readily available in many sports/hunting shops.

If you look into it you might consider starting at: www.nordisk-forum.dk in the sub category "luftvåben".

Much info and an open minded community will assist you in any questions you migh have.

Do you mean cheaper by saving the VAT? Just tried creating a company profile - including company VAT number. The price turned out the same.

But haven't ordered from Mouser yet. Having a hard time figuring out whats the cheapest shipping fee from Mouser (click for large):

Was absolutely sure they were illegal. Thanks!!! Got my hunting license less than a year ago :-) Had no idea there was such thing as a Nordic weapons forum. Cool :-)

Hestbeck

Doesn’t look like they have the 850nm IR ones though :frowning:

Nordic weapons forum?? Is the admin Odin :wink:

Check their shipping fees! Rsonline ships to the Netherlands for only a few euro's, that is why they are cheaper for me, especially if it is only for a few leds. They are also one of the main distributors for Osram. But I have not been able to order there as a private person so I do that via my work.

Thanks both :-)

WarHawk-AVG: think you are spot on. Odin, the God of War :-D - or maybe Týr

djozz:

For the Bergquist MCPCB a minimum order of 10 pcs is required. For the SFH 4715A LED it's a minimum of 2.

There is nowhere i can change shipping type. The shipping fee is 85DKK (9Euro) no matter what. Been searching for a long time. Only useful info I found was free delivery on orders above 500 DKK (~67 Euro)

Sending a mail to their support right now :-)