SKYEYE F13 Mod or work carried out around the house. Night shots added. Updated post 22 21.1.15

I'm honestly ashamed of myself. Another day spent modding lights when its the last thing that l should be doing. At least the sheds not falling down around me. Big sigh.

I bought a total of twelve of these SKYEYE F13 lights in the BLF group buy intending to keep one for myself. This is a quick story about the one I kept. Some lights I love straight out of the box and others are begging to be hot rodded. This is one of the ones begging to be hot rodded with far to much money in parts thrown at it.

In its favor is the solid shelf the led sits on in the head, ample finning for any heat generated and the ability to run a 26650 battery. The mods were carried out in stages starting with the stock light having a my corrected figure of 15,750 Kcd with a current draw of 1.9 amps at the tailcap. With the very tall plastic isolator filed down so it did not stick through the reflector the reading rose to 16497 Kcd.

Next up was a large step with the driver replaced by a 3 amp 7135 driver which RBD had soldered on a couple of extra chips for me which with a fully charged Keeppower 26650 4500 mAh battery was pushing 3.7 amps at the tailcap, copper star under the stock led and all springs having a 22 AWG wire soldered to them. The stock plastic isolator was refitted for an initial test which was 23,888 KCD. With the standard modded isolator refitted Kcd rose to 25,000. With a lower isolator fitted purchased from FT Kcd again rose to 25,978.

The next mod was the single biggest gain in light output. I had recently bought from Cutter electronics some (there are none left in their stock) XML-2 U3 2C leds. This led replaced the stock one and surprised with a reading of 33,590 KCD.

During testing the same battery was used throughout. Rechecking the tailcap draw current had dropped to 3 amps. With the battery charged up to 4.15 volts the tailcap reading rose to 3.5 amps and Kcd rose to 36,950.

Left to right isolators. Stock. Modded. FT.

And the beam shots in the same order keeping in mind that the last one is the XML-2 U3 led.

The two ends after the mods.

Mouse out F13 low .46 amp. Mouse over F113 low .09 amps (F113 is modded and all currents taken at the tailcap at the time the pictures were taken).

Mouse out F13 medium .9 amps. Mouse over F113 medium 1 amp.

Mouse out F13 high 1.75 amps. Mouse over F113 high 3.7 amps.

The only other mod I would of carried out would be fit an AR lens but I dont have one that fits. I like this sized light compared to the thin 18650 barreled items as they are just two small for my hand. The wife doesnt mind which sized light she has in her hand as long as it works.

Was the mods worth it? Yes. Its a little ball terror.

Good work! How far were the beam shots?

The camera was 3.65 meters from the door but the settings were turned down to stop the glare. I will get beam shots outside tonight if it stops raining. The light meter was setup 8.64 meters from the lights.

Night shots added to the OP.

MRsDNF wrote:

I'm honestly ashamed of myself. Another day spent modding lights when its the last thing that l should be doing. At least the sheds not falling down around me. Big sigh. . . .

This happens to me too often.

Nice build. Such a good looking light that has lots of heat shedding surface area in proportion to its compact size. Totally was worth it.

You are now officially hired without pay as my PR officer. You can start immediately. The plane tickets are in the mail. One tiny question first though. Can you fight, i'm sure you know what the darling wife is.

Worth it? YES! ;-)

I like those comparison shots you do. I sure would like if I could take beam shots like that. Sigh...

EDIT: I just bought one for no other reason than I like what I see here. Does that make me weird(er)?

LOL, I know better than to fights the womans. My wife is scary brave and tough as nails. I may be able to take her in a fight, but I have to sleep eventually.

Sorry, you scared me out of the job interview. Best of luck.

Nice mod and documentation of the improvements. :)

:beer:

What a nice sized pocket torch. I must get back to building some smaller single cell lights. I’ve been going nuts with large multi emitter lights and I should get back to basics. Every light I build teaches me something and I keep moving up past my pay grade.
Yep. Back to single cell lights for while.
“Get back Jo Jo”

That is a very nice mod, and the tint is so much better now! I am all for single li-ion mods, thanks for the post :-)

I just received my F13 today and I think it is quite well constructed. I'll probably do a mod or two to it though. And that stock XM-L2 is helluva purple in my sample. Dedoming seems only kind and then I pray for a less blue tint. But thank you for the info on this light. I'll see if I can put it to any (meaningful) use :-)

I have a few here with the XML-2 but havent really used them. I did a quick reading on the light meter and I really should do this again to confirm the readings but the XML-2 was no brighter than the XML.

My hot rod light has copped a fair bit of use out walking the dogs lately and I've fallen in love with the 2C tint. Its my favorite light out of about, who knows, a heap of lights I have. A C8 just does not feel right in the hand after carrying this around.

Nice work and stuff. I have allways wondered how an xml u3 should be, compared to an xml2 u2…

I dont know what the standard led is or supposed to be except it is some sort of XML. I doubt its an XML U2.

Nice mod! Love that U3 2C - so they are out of stock now? How recent did they have them? Sounds like a pretty awesome bump, but probably expected, coming from a XML T6 on a stock alum MCPCB I assume?

It sure is a decent light - great deal at the GB price.

Found my mod details here in post #214, and then post #223: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/26433.

I was just lucky. I wondered into Cutters and Mark was wondering around with a parcel that had just come in which had these leds in them. He got them in for a particular job so did not have many. I bought a few fell in love with them and went back to get more. I got the last six they had. l picked up 10 XML-2 U2 2C on copper stars today so hopefully these will be the same tint.

I would of kept the stock driver and tried the mod for direct drive but I prefer mode memory.

Dang! So Cutter is a real store close by you? They got a XM-L2 U2 3D listed, but on back order. I have to hit the $200 mark to get free shipping unfortunately, if under $200, the shipping is like $25. There seems to be no discount on qty's though - not sure if any discount codes either...

My hard working wife has her own F13 which has an older style XML-T6 3C led (I love the tint from this older led) with a 2.8 amp 3 mode 3175 driver. I think she liked the light. Not being able to leave things alone I thought I'd really hot it up for her. Not having cooked a light before and knowing most of you have I thought I'd give it a go. The center section was not cooked as I do not trust myself at the moment with a soldering iron (dont ask ).

Well blow me down she loves it. It was baked at 220 for half an hour. The oven would not go any higher. After the first 15 minutes not a lot happened. I got my gas torch on the tailcap to try and get it a little more colorful but it only made it hot without doing a thing. Anyway, the wifes happy with it and that makes me happy.

I thought the background was very fitting if anyone had ideas that I was turning into a nice guy.

You rat! You've snatched a sock from every pair she owns?

Nice job on the light. I assume that's 220 centipedes, about 430 fair-'n-hots.