Skyray King (3xXML, 4x18650 Fatty)

i'm glad its gold or I couldn't resist

I asked Ric from CQG about the King and he replied with the following:

the new Skyray King is a very beautiful light. Quality and shape is the best compared with DRY or T70. For this price Skyray king is a winner, it's a highly recommended torch.
Brightness: Abit brighter than T70, i think it's around 2000lumens. But powered by 4x18650, the runtime is much longer.
DRY is still the brightest LED light.

I also asked if he was aware if Skyray had any plans to make it in Black or any other color and he didn't say. I get the whole gold color going with the "King" moniker but it's just a bit cheesy. If I owned it I would definitely nick-name it "Midas". :) Almost any other color than gold and with better mode selection and I don't think I could resist this light!

They should have tried Solarforce blue. Super winner!

ads

will be not available..!

Nothin’ a Greased Lightning bath couldn’t fix. :slight_smile: Boy, its hard to pass up those T6 3Cs.

I'd be concerned about the side switch. maybe it can come out...

I assumed it would. It will be nice to see a teardown. There's no way I wan't it unless I can ditch the gold.

Maybe sales aren't so hot at CNQG as the price just keeps on inching lower.

Currently at $67.00 USD + shipping 2/29/12

I couldn't resist.

Did somebody get it already?

Manafont shipped mine on the 20th and I'm still waiting for it.

Mine was shipped ten days ago, and now it arrived to the country (I ordered from LightMalls, and I’m really impressed on how fast it arrived! Normally it takes from 30 to 40 days, and sometimes up to 70 or 80 days to my country).

But the bad part is that I have to pay customs, so Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to get my SR-K1NG.

Now I'm charging four XTAR 2600 for tomorrow, I'm anxious to receive it ^^

Hey FX...I'm really curious as to how you like it. Not having mine yet, I haven't been able to figure out if this torch is going to be comfortable to hold with its unusual hand-hold design.

Eagerly awaiting impressions on this light. Specifically...

-Current draw

-Switch type (electronic or mechanical click)

-Dissection / tear down pics

-Thermal design

-Parasitic drain

Looks promising though... despite the hideous gold.

Yep. I got my NW version from CNQG. Will do a review during this weekend, but meanwhile you can read my first impressions from here.

tells us it isn't very good, then next month, when I have more money, tells us the truth

I've got mine!

It is VERY bright, way brighter than a fake TR-3T6 direct driven at 4.5Amps.

It is really small, the ugly design is comfortable to my hand.

I measured tailcap current with four fresh charged XTAR 2600 (4.20V each) and it was 3.7Amps on high and 0.3Amps on low. It is not precise, because it was difficult to measure without spending more time wiring something better.

Here I'm sharing some pics with you, in the "beamshot" pic the KING is on the right and the Fake TR-3T6 is on the left.

I really like the flashlight, the color is OK, better than expected, I like it's SS bezel, perfectly centered emitters... I'm going to keep it, I don't have a DRY but I think this one is brighter and with better throw.

EDIT: Forgot this, Switch is electric.

Pictures were taken with my cellphone so don't expect too much (click to enlarge)

Does the contact for the anode shave off with use? So it seems from the photos. I see some shaving on the batteries too.

Nice...

Does the battery "can" unscrew from the head a little to lock out the circuit form accidental turn on?

Looks like the +B nubs are really digging / gouging into the driver board... is it as bad as this pic makes it look? Do your cells maybe have a sharp metal edge on the +B... making it look worse than it is?

thanks for sharing the great pics. The gold doesn't look that bad.

Holy cow that is compact! With those tail readings, sounds like it's going to make 2000L.